BFTG Forest Home

Old Man Andrews

Re: BFTG Forest Home

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jan 2019 12:26

2 world wars, 1 world cup
leon
Old Man Andrews
Are you for real?

Thought Barrow did very little. Probably our worst player.

Apart from the brilliant run and assist for the goal we scored, he was a constant threat, balls put through to him using his pace. He was a constant menace.

He simply wasn't though. You are either mixing him up with another player or lying. I was there as were others who conclude other than the goal assist he didn't do anything.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 14 Jan 2019 12:29

leon
Old Man Andrews
Are you for real?

Apart from the brilliant run and assist for the goal we scored, he was a constant threat, balls put through to him using his pace. He was a constant menace.

I'll give you the assist - but really a menace throughout the game? I'm clearly missing something. I think you're getting a carried away.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Jan 2019 12:32

leon
leon

I'll give you the assist - but really a menace throughout the game? I'm clearly missing something. I think you're getting a carried away.

That's me through and through mate ;)

But yeah I thought he was a pest pretty much the whole game. Really interesting that you saw it differently. As Adie says "it's all about opinions". :)

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Jan 2019 12:42

constantly amazed by how different people can view the same events so differently
but then I guess that's pretty much this whole board/all football discussion

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 14 Jan 2019 12:57

He was involved in other good moves as well as the assist, but unfortunately invariably made the wrong decision or executed it poorly.
Straight off the top of my head there was:

First half - his shot from outside the box in a central position which the goalie made a meal of by palming round the post (was probably expecting it to be hit much harder).
Second half - the chance when put through by Swift which should have been a 1 on 1 but he made a 1 on 3 by dithering.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Jan 2019 13:02

Maneki Neko constantly amazed by how different people can view the same events so differently

That's right. As long as opinions are shared with respect, understanding, flowers, snowflakes etc...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jan 2019 13:04

I thought Eljaria contrubuted more in terms of work rate in 60 minutes than Barrow has all season tbh.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Jan 2019 13:12

Platypuss He was involved in other good moves as well as the assist, but unfortunately invariably made the wrong decision or executed it poorly.

First half - his shot from outside the box in a central position which the goalie made a meal of by palming round the post (was probably expecting it to be hit much harder).
Second half - the chance when put through by Swift which should have been a 1 on 1 but he made a 1 on 3 by dithering.

Totally agree and am mindful of those yet I rated him very highly for the match.

Actually this is very reminiscent of the world cup.

I was one of only two people defending Sterling when everyone else around me screaming at him for being sh*t etc. Yes he couldn't finish to save his life but so much of the play was going through him, and so many chances were created by and around him with his menacing pace. So if he created those chances but sometimes messed them up, that for me (and Southgate) was fine because he was creating them in the first place and straining the opposition. Without him we had little spark.

Kind of similar to Barrow's threat and pace against them. I saw a lot going through him. Yes he made some poor decisions and shots but if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have those.

--

On a side note looking through this thread it really is great to see so many different names listed as MOTM. I was impressed by Barrow and take my hat off and apologise to Omar, but others are praising Swift, Rino, Illori etc... It's absolutely fantastic to see that so many players played very well and could take MOTM, as opposed to a lucky victory where perhaps only one or two stand out. A very good thing!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Jan 2019 13:12

Platypuss He was involved in other good moves as well as the assist, but unfortunately invariably made the wrong decision or executed it poorly.

Totally agree and am mindful of those yet I rated him very highly for the match.

Actually this is very reminiscent of the world cup.

I was one of only two people defending Sterling when everyone else around me screaming at him for being sh*t etc. Yes he couldn't finish to save his life but so much of the play was going through him, and so many chances were created by and around him with his menacing pace. So if he created those chances but sometimes messed them up, that for me (and Southgate) was fine because he was creating them in the first place and straining the opposition. Without him we had little spark.

Kind of similar to Barrow's threat and pace against them. I saw a lot going through him. Yes he made some poor decisions and shots but if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have those.

--

On a side note looking through this thread it really is great to see so many different names listed as MOTM. I was impressed by Barrow and take my hat off and apologise to Omar, but others are praising Swift, Rino, Illori etc... It's absolutely fantastic to see that so many players played very well and could take MOTM, as opposed to a lucky victory where perhaps only one or two stand out. A very good thing!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Jan 2019 13:17

Yep, agreed, and so the narrative that..."other than the goal assist he didn't do anything" is clearly wrong. Other things may not always have come off for him, but he was still 'a threat and was menacing'. I've seen other players graded highly for being just that...and without accomplishing anything.

The assist was huge, too. We needed to win. We needed to score first. It wasn't like he dribbled past 6 men, but he made the right run, and delivered the right cross. It was massive in the context of what it meant to us at the time.

He's also starting to show more positional awareness defensively. Not pulling up any trees yet, but there are a few signs of improvement. Gomes yelled at him a few times re. same, and he responded. Overall, still want to see more improvement, but in general he's been better under Gomes, imo.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 14 Jan 2019 13:57, edited 3 times in total.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 14 Jan 2019 13:34

I was somewhat bemused to see the BBC report describing it as a "turgid" match. We've had two years of turgidity, pal, this was a huge improvement!
Nice to hear Jackie Wilson being played after the game, rather than Steve Wonder!

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Jan 2019 14:18

I do agree, but also, there is a danger as fans, of our sheer relief at the win and seeing some improvements on the pitch colouring our view of the game imo

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 14 Jan 2019 14:21

Maneki Neko I do agree, but also, there is a danger as fans, of our sheer relief at the win and seeing some improvements on the pitch colouring our view of the game imo

In the spirit of positivity, I'm comfortable with over-egging performances rather than down-playing.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Jan 2019 14:25

me too, I just don't expect the media to do the same

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 14 Jan 2019 14:49

East Grinstead Royal I was somewhat bemused to see the BBC report describing it as a "turgid" match. We've had two years of turgidity, pal, this was a huge improvement!
Nice to hear Jackie Wilson being played after the game, rather than Steve Wonder!

Same was said on the Quest EFL show, they clearly lift a lot of the analysis from BBC reports before looking at the game itself.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Jan 2019 14:58

Maneki Neko I do agree, but also, there is a danger as fans, of our sheer relief at the win and seeing some improvements on the pitch colouring our view of the game imo

yep agreed - still in a horrendous position. Won't start to feel more positive until we are at least out of the bottom 3

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 14 Jan 2019 16:13

Denver Royal

Yep, agreed, and so the narrative that..."other than the goal assist he didn't do anything" is clearly wrong. Other things may not always have come off for him, but he was still 'a threat and was menacing'. I've seen other players graded highly for being just that...and without accomplishing anything.

The assist was huge, too. We needed to win. We needed to score first. It wasn't like he dribbled past 6 men, but he made the right run, and delivered the right cross. It was massive in the context of what it meant to us at the time.

He's also starting to show more positional awareness defensively. Not pulling up any trees yet, but there are a few signs of improvement. Gomes yelled at him a few times re. same, and he responded. Overall, still want to see more improvement, but in general he's been better under Gomes, imo.

He had one shot that was saved and wasted another decent opportunity does not equal being a constant threat throughout.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 14 Jan 2019 16:58

leon
Denver Royal

He had one shot that was saved and wasted another decent opportunity does not equal being a constant threat throughout.

Just being in certain positions with out the ball can cause mayhem defensively with positioning of CB and full backs. Widens the pitch opens up gaps etc. With Barrow, some might see that as being positionally astute some might see it as being lazy and not tracking back. I think its conveniently for him a bit of both.
Maybe he is more willing to change his game under Gomes than Clement as there could be a bit of bad blood between the 2 from there brief time at Swansea.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Jan 2019 17:09

Maneki Neko constantly amazed by how different people can view the same events so differently
That's one reason why live games are so much better than watching on tv, everyone has a different vantage point and nobody see's the same thing.... although sometimes I do wonder if they were actually at the same game and didn't go to Loftus Road by mistake.

If every time you look at a player he's doing something effective and every time you look elsewhere he's being ineffective, your going to judge him on what you have seen and say he was effective all game and vice versa, it's a bit different on TV when everyone see's the same thing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2019 17:25

leon
Old Man Andrews
Are you for real?

Shit long shot when Bod was begging for a through ball though.