BFTG Derby (A)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Derby (A)

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2019 09:08

Old Man Andrews
Denver Royal
PremAddict Bod should’ve gotten to at least one of those crosses.

I thought that too? Barrow seemed peeved a couple times. But haven't heard too many others saying same, so there ya go.

I like Bodvarsson but he lacks the killer instinct a very good striker needs, just isn't there. A top Championship striker will be getting on the end of those crosses all day long.

Doesn't look quite match fit to me. Seemed to struggle with the physical presence of Derby defenders.

I thought Barrow played the wrong cross for one of those chances. It was a touch too ahead of Bod who was stretching and couldn't have made good contact to direct it reliably IMO... tantalisingly close admittedly.

I thought Barrow should have played a pull back to Swift who was in more space arriving later. Hopefully Swift would have put right his first half miss.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 20 Jan 2019 09:49

Another game where we showed that we clearly need a new left-back. That should be our priority over everything else - even a striker.

It really was a wasted summer transfer window. Lets try and get this one right. Just dig deep and pay the £6-7m we need to.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 20 Jan 2019 10:17

Enjoyed the game overall - some very good technical players across both teams & I came away positive despite the loss

Was impressed by the home support throughout & good to see us take a decent number

Seems a bit of an overreaction to the team selection when there was just the 1 change - but it was the wrong change. And I was surprised Baker was the one who made way at HT seeing as he was the brightest of the 3 CMs. And then taking Barrow off at that point killed a bit of the momentum. Everyone could see it was Ejaria tiring & needed replacing, not Barrow

What frustrated me was Bodvarsson- he was barely in the game & that was partly down to the midfielders not playing it to his feet & running off him.

And the messing around with the ball at the back is just suicidal...the keeper is rubbish, so why pass it back to him? And 9/10 he kicked it to an opposition player...might as well boot it long! Can someone please explain to me the thinking behind splitting the centre backs from a goal kick? It leads to a gaping hole in the middle, which Derby exploited really well. Can understand playing it short out wide to the full backs

I’m not convinced Gomes will get us out of it & personally think we were getting better under Clement, but time will tell

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 20 Jan 2019 10:18

Ian1966 First 25 minutes or so we were so poor and so frustrating to watch. IIori just didnt seem interested, Baker seems to be a Jaap Stam type of player and we dont need anymore of them. Play Rinomhota in midfield because although he tried hard he isnt a full back and I would rather see him in midfield rather than Baker. Second half we looked a different side and that is the best I have seen Aluko play in a Reading shirt. I like the look of Ejaria and he look a real threat especially in the second half. Jaakkola scares the life out of me with the ball at his feet, Moving forward we need a full back, probably a goalkeeper, a centre-back although I would like to see Blackett partner Moore rather than Ilori and someone who is a goalscorer. I like Bodvarsson for all have energy and hard work, but he isnt a 15 let alone 20 goals a season player.
P.S. This is my first post

Good first post!
Blackett for Ilori is interesting. For a tall bloke, Tyler is ok on the ball and can pass. Might be off to Wigan though?
Bod, I already said my piece. When he came off, was looking for blood, sweat and tears, but didn't really see it. (Whether he should have come off for an 18 year old lad when you are chasing a game is questionable, but still).
Anyway, welcome!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 20 Jan 2019 11:59

Old Man Andrews
Denver Royal
PremAddict Bod should’ve gotten to at least one of those crosses.

I thought that too? Barrow seemed peeved a couple times. But haven't heard too many others saying same, so there ya go.

I like Bodvarsson but he lacks the killer instinct a very good striker needs, just isn't there. A top Championship striker will be getting on the end of those crosses all day long.

Yeah, for a 46 game Champ striker I'm more of a Steven Fletcher/Danny Graham/Gary Madine/Chris Wood type.Those first 3 are obv getting on in years now, but it's that prototype or style of forward for me twice a week. We're starting to create some chances now, too. It's not just about goals, either. I prefer someone physically dominant who punishes defenders, brings an attitude, and sets a tone.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Jan 2019 14:19

Strange game.

First thing I want to say was NO WAY did Derby "sit back on their 2-0 lead".

We came out after half time full of speed, aggression and intent and played
Derby off the park. Our high press worked, and we kept winning ball back
even when we had just lost it. had we started the first half like that, it
would have been a very different result. If we learn to play like that for
90 minutes we will race away from the bottom 3.

I thought we were superb second half, by far the better side, should have scored
at least two, maybe three. On another day, or with a true predatory striker, we
would have.

I thought Ovie Ejaria was IMMENSE, easily our MoM.

First Half

Ilori was so not at the races. He played like a blind kitten and was hugely
responsible for a jittery back four. He looked TERRIFIED, that or didn't give
a shit. At his best I really like him, but on that first half performance I would
not want him to stay.

The first Derby goal was well-worked but looked very close to offside. Jaakkola was slow off his line
but it looked like the keeper was surprised when the defence just opened up like that. TBF
the breakthrough was outside the box (was Jaakkola on his line at the time?)

We just didn't feel right and I guess that was because Rhino wasn't central and Baker was anonymous.

Don't agree with the criticism of the manager, though. Rhino was a VG FB at Old Trafford and Baker's cameo
against Forest absolutely BEGGED for him to start.

II would have played Rhino-Baker-Ejaria as the middle three. If I was short of a RFB Bacuna would do well there, has in the past.

Derby's second was a cruel deflection giving Jaakkola no chance.

After going down 1-0 so early I had visions of a disaster, but this new team (new attitude) hung in where the older team would have folded. Had we kept it to 1-0 I think we'd have won it second half.

I agree with Gomes. He tells them to get stuck in, use the team's attacking prowess, but instead they took 20-30 minutes to get into the game. They basically didn't obey orders. When they did, second half, they were superb.

If we play 90-100% as well as that second half we will be well away from the bottom come season's end.

IMO If Gomes keeps us up we will challenge next year, top six at worst.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Jan 2019 16:15

Snowball Baker's cameo against Forest absolutely BEGGED for him to start.

Against 10 men, then 9. :?:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Jan 2019 18:04

What a shit performance.

1- maybe people will believe me this time when i say Barrow was a constant threat. Wtf was he subbed??? I counted 4 glorious balls in plus his constant running and irritation.

2- we have NO firepower. All those balls and nothing on the end of them. FFS. That's right RFC just get more midfielders and put our best at right back.

3- Aluko - £7.5million!? More like £17.5million. What has happened to him!? First half we were shit. Second half it was Aluko v derby. Magnificent display. I feel another kebe-esque turn of fortunes.

4- illori. **** Off you're shit.

5- baker. Ejaria. Both shit. Ej made a goal and caused us to concede too with a stupid run. Again RFC why why why buy MORE midfielders who are no better than what we have when we play our best midfielders at right back and desperately need strikers!???

6- Jak. New keeper please.

RFC- left back, centre backs, strikers, all desperately needed.

Gomes - got this one horribly wrong.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Jan 2019 20:52

2 world wars, 1 world cup What a shit performance.

1- maybe people will believe me this time when i say Barrow was a constant threat. Wtf was he subbed??? I counted 4 glorious balls in plus his constant running and irritation.

2- we have NO firepower. All those balls and nothing on the end of them. FFS. That's right RFC just get more midfielders and put our best at right back.

3- Aluko - £7.5million!? More like £17.5million. What has happened to him!? First half we were shit. Second half it was Aluko v derby. Magnificent display. I feel another kebe-esque turn of fortunes.

4- illori. **** Off you're shit.

5- baker. Ejaria. Both shit. Ej made a goal and caused us to concede too with a stupid run. Again RFC why why why buy MORE midfielders who are no better than what we have when we play our best midfielders at right back and desperately need strikers!???

6- Jak. New keeper please.

RFC- left back, centre backs, strikers, all desperately needed.

Gomes - got this one horribly wrong.

Aluko was never a poor player, he was used in the wrong position as I said a long time ago, now he's being asked to play more central, he's playing a lot better, it wasn't rocket science. However, his attitude was poor and that was my biggest gripe with him, not his actual ability

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jan 2019 20:55

Snowball Strange game.

First thing I want to say was NO WAY did Derby "sit back on their 2-0 lead".

We came out after half time full of speed, aggression and intent and played
Derby off the park. Our high press worked, and we kept winning ball back
even when we had just lost it. had we started the first half like that, it
would have been a very different result. If we learn to play like that for
90 minutes we will race away from the bottom 3.

I thought we were superb second half, by far the better side, should have scored
at least two, maybe three. On another day, or with a true predatory striker, we
would have.

I thought Ovie Ejaria was IMMENSE, easily our MoM.

First Half

Ilori was so not at the races. He played like a blind kitten and was hugely
responsible for a jittery back four. He looked TERRIFIED, that or didn't give
a shit. At his best I really like him, but on that first half performance I would
not want him to stay.

The first Derby goal was well-worked but looked very close to offside. Jaakkola was slow off his line
but it looked like the keeper was surprised when the defence just opened up like that. TBF
the breakthrough was outside the box (was Jaakkola on his line at the time?)

We just didn't feel right and I guess that was because Rhino wasn't central and Baker was anonymous.

Don't agree with the criticism of the manager, though. Rhino was a VG FB at Old Trafford and Baker's cameo
against Forest absolutely BEGGED for him to start.

II would have played Rhino-Baker-Ejaria as the middle three. If I was short of a RFB Bacuna would do well there, has in the past.

Derby's second was a cruel deflection giving Jaakkola no chance.

After going down 1-0 so early I had visions of a disaster, but this new team (new attitude) hung in where the older team would have folded. Had we kept it to 1-0 I think we'd have won it second half.

I agree with Gomes. He tells them to get stuck in, use the team's attacking prowess, but instead they took 20-30 minutes to get into the game. They basically didn't obey orders. When they did, second half, they were superb.

If we play 90-100% as well as that second half we will be well away from the bottom come season's end.

IMO If Gomes keeps us up we will challenge next year, top six at worst.

A few posters on the Derby messageboard have no doubt we will stay up and will be the team to watch out for next season. However until we can play for 90 minutes we are going to struggle. We must start well against Bolton. We need to take the lead because we remain so poor at fighting back and getting a result.

At least fitness levels look better. We ‘won’ the second half yesterday as we did against Forest having drawn the second period in the games with Man Utd, Swansea and the fakes so fitness no longer appears to be an issue #clutchingatstraws.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2019 21:03

Interesting that Forest thought we were certain to go down when we beat them and Derby think we're certain to stay up when they beat us.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Jan 2019 21:09

Snowflake Royal Interesting that Forest thought we were certain to go down when we beat them and Derby think we're certain to stay up when they beat us.

This is why you can't trust other teams' views too much. Forest are obviously upset that they lost to "little old Reading" and therefore they can't take the defeat very well. Derby are more gracious because they won the game, had that have ended 2-2 I think the comments would read differently, like how their season would derail drawing to a poor team at home

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jan 2019 08:37

Most of the key points of the match seem to have been touched on so I can't really add much to the discussion here.

The only thing I will add is as a fan from a far I was delighted when ifollow added the commentary to the games but it's becoming unbearable to listen to them now. They both talk more shite than we do on here and that's pretty impressive.

Edit* actually there is one thing I'd like to say. On the basis of the last 2 games I would love to see a lineup like this:

-------------Jaakkola
Yiadom--Ilori--Moore--Blackett
---Rinomhota--Bacuna
-----Aluko--Swift--Barrow
-------------Bodvarson

Swift and Aluko are doing well under this philosophy and to maximise their effectiveness we need to play 2 AMCs. If Ezatolahi was fit I'd swap him for Barrow to add more steel to our mid.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 21 Jan 2019 09:41

I don't mind the starting 11 being a shambles, he took a gamble it did not pay off and it was obvious from the 1st 15 mins. I am not sure i have seen such a bad replacement in the team Rino for Baker? He should have been bold and made the sub much earlier!
Remember Pardew making a sub on 20 mins when he took Salako off and brought on Watson against Forest???. We won that game......

Ilori is on thin ice, some of the stuff he does is just inexcusable - that blind header back with out looking, was something special!

Special mention to Barrow and Aluko they just look like different players.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 21 Jan 2019 09:51

illori wants out and it show so we should get rid of him from the first team asap.
he is appalling.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 21 Jan 2019 09:54

A review in two parts.

Review 1 - the match.

We sat down. They scored. We agreed on a number of goals at which point we would go back to the pub, with a fire, and bass on handpull, and just pretend that the game never happened.

First half was about as bad as I've seen. Two goals somewhat flattered Derby who just let us do our thing then attacked with pace and purpose. Someone up thread has mentioned that there's no point in passing the ball at the back - quite - the keeper can barely make the halfway line with his kicks.

Second half, we changed both personnel and purpose. A well deserved goal followed and, while I think 2-2 would have been unfair given the first half, there's enough there to suggest we can get the points to nudge our way out of the shit. We pressed, we played when we had the ball, and it wasn't awful. Now, there's two caveats on this. First, you'd expect the ET from midweek to gradually come into play as the game wore on. Second, they were 2-0 up and that's the small thing that might make them work a bit less hard second half.

Room for improvement. Signs of life. We're not done yet BUT we need the full 90, not bits and pieces. Otherwise, League 1 and I hear that Fleetwood is simply delightful this time of year.

The second review.

Early start for Green, and as his train came in, we noted the lack of a true station pub in New Street. We've a 45 minute window so off to the Shakespeare, where a doombar and a doombar shandy awaits. Some discussion of that Adrian Chiles 'am I an alcoholic?' TV show as the first of the day slips down. Shakespeare is doing a brisk trade, with fans from all corners getting their pre-march or pre-train pint in. Nothing special, I guess, but its the best option near the station.

Derby. It feels slightly further north than it is. Slate grey skies greet us as we shuffle from the train to the Victoria Inn.

Proper, cosy pub. 2 pints of Bass. Comfy chairs. Excellent.

On, past the Merry Widows (nope!) and The Waterfall (nope!), to the Brunswick. Two pints - Everards Sunchaser for me and something local for Green - followed down by a pork pie that might have sat on the window sill 24 hours too long. Another proper pub and starting to get busy.

Alexandra hotel next and a bit of a gem for your train spotters, with a plethora of train memorabilia inside and the cab of 37411 outside. Camra discounts accepted so a cheap round at just over a fiver here. Quite the collection of memorabilia here, the highlight being the station clock over the bar.

Onwards, to the Neptune. This place was very much packed with Derby fans enjoying their local rivals slug it out in the local lunchtime derby. Couple of pints here, one perched on a turnstile from the Baseball ground. It has to be said that the pub garden is a delight - full of memorabilia from the Baseball ground, and a striking mural of Clough and Taylor. A cautionary note: this is apparently Britain's most patriotic pub and, I'll be honest, not one for a full and frank discussion of the ins and outs of Brexit. £2 for a bus to the ground, though, and the possibility of cobs from behind the bar. Lovely. Winning here.

Until we got on the bus and were clearly the only two strangers on it, not joining in with 15 minutes of Richard Keogh chants. :?

Game thoughts above. Marsdens at the ground which is a nice touch, a walk back through the estate chatting to two Reading fans from Lincoln and then a couple more in the Victoria, chatting with some older Derby fans, who were knowledgeable and friendly. I could have probably seen out the evening in the front bar of the Victoria.

Last stop before the train home?

and he even opened our bottles for us. A touch of class from Mr Booze there.

Derby - 8/10. Would recommend.

Last edited by stealthpapes on 21 Jan 2019 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 21 Jan 2019 11:54

stealthpapes A review in two parts.

Absolutely superb reading. An away day done properly

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 Jan 2019 12:38

John Smith
stealthpapes A review in two parts.

Absolutely superb reading. An away day done properly

+1
Thanks stealthpapes, enjoyed that.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Jan 2019 12:43

I don't know much about Green but I didn't think 'papes looked like that.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 21 Jan 2019 13:52

Derby really is a top 5 away day on the pub side.