The League of 4

540 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: The League of 4

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Apr 2019 09:47

Stranded
leon just looked at Wigan's remaining fixtures :shock:

I'd be shitting it, if I were them.

IF we win Saturday AND results go our way. I can see a two way fight between Wigan and Rotherham. That point last night was very important for us.

The 2 late goals last night (Hull's & ours) were massive. To get above Wigan is a massive boost esp as realistically not sure if they will get more than 1 point from Norwich, Leeds and Preston. Wouldn't fancy them at Brum either.

This weekend is massive - we have an incredibly winnable home game whilst our main rivals have the following:

Sheffield United V Millwall
Stoke v Rotherham
Wigan v Norwich

We can only focus on ourselves but can only see Rotherham getting anything there so a win will open a gap over 1 or 2 clubs ahead of Easter.

Don't rule out QPR going down, those pricks are in freefall

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Apr 2019 10:29

Higginbottom just praised our fighting spirit on SSN but still thinks we will go down.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Apr 2019 10:42

windermereROYAL Higginbottom just praised our fighting spirit on SSN but still thinks we will go down.

and what was the jug eared chucker's rationale for that analysis?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Apr 2019 10:49

Old Man Andrews
Stranded
leon just looked at Wigan's remaining fixtures :shock:

I'd be shitting it, if I were them.

IF we win Saturday AND results go our way. I can see a two way fight between Wigan and Rotherham. That point last night was very important for us.

The 2 late goals last night (Hull's & ours) were massive. To get above Wigan is a massive boost esp as realistically not sure if they will get more than 1 point from Norwich, Leeds and Preston. Wouldn't fancy them at Brum either.

This weekend is massive - we have an incredibly winnable home game whilst our main rivals have the following:

Sheffield United V Millwall
Stoke v Rotherham
Wigan v Norwich

We can only focus on ourselves but can only see Rotherham getting anything there so a win will open a gap over 1 or 2 clubs ahead of Easter.

Don't rule out QPR going down, those pricks are in freefall

Not ruling it out but as of today - they are not our main rivals in this battle - a win on Saturday will still leave us behind them regardless of their result. Focusing on getting a gap over the teams level/behind us. QPR are the next target. If get past them in the next 2 or 3 games then we will be absolutely safe.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Apr 2019 10:52

leon
windermereROYAL Higginbottom just praised our fighting spirit on SSN but still thinks we will go down.

and what was the jug eared chucker's rationale for that analysis?

He didn`t give one, said something along the lines of , I was asked a few days ago who would go down I said Reading , while it was a good result last night and they showed incredible fighting spirit I`m standing by my decision.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 11 Apr 2019 19:31

Taking it how it was going into the international break we were one point clear, with 2 tough away games and a bang in form side at home, I'd def have taken being 2 points ahead of the bottom 3 coming out of the Norwich game.

Rotherham now have 3 of their next 4 games away so basically if we gain a point on them over this period (as we have over last 3 games when they've had 2 at home) we will be safe going in to the Brum game.

And as per previous posts I 'd not fancy being in WIgan's shoes either

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Apr 2019 08:34

Mid Sussex Royal Taking it how it was going into the international break we were one point clear, with 2 tough away games and a bang in form side at home, I'd def have taken being 2 points ahead of the bottom 3 coming out of the Norwich game.

Rotherham now have 3 of their next 4 games away so basically if we gain a point on them over this period (as we have over last 3 games when they've had 2 at home) we will be safe going in to the Brum game.

And as per previous posts I 'd not fancy being in WIgan's shoes either

Rotherham have only taken 10 points on the road this season - 1 win. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that they fail to pick up a point from any of those 3. I'm sure they will though - you always get shock results at this time of the season. If we can just win our next 2 home games though, then we will be safe.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 12 Apr 2019 08:59

Realistically I can see us getting 4 points from the next 3 which is a realistic target anymore is a bonus, I also cant see Wigan getting anything from the next 3 maybe 1 point and I can't see Rotherham getting 6 points or more potentially a maximum of 3 points so by game 44 I expect the table to look like this at the bottom

20 Reading 45 Points
21 Rotherham 42 points
22 Wigan 42 points

Which would realistically mean both Rovrum and Wigan Winning both games or win and draw from there final 2 and reading getting 0 to go down. 2 wins and a draw would do.

It would be nice going into Brum knowing we are safe though. How nice would that feel.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Apr 2019 09:06

I'll be worried if we still aren't safe by Brum. Will have meant we haven't done the job against Brentford and WBA.

I'm fairly confident we'll win 2 of our next 3. With Oli back, Barrow and Meite on form, and goals coming from the midfield, we shouldn't struggle to score. We defended well for the majority of Preston and Norwich, and sounds like first half at Hull. Just need to be on our game

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Apr 2019 09:50

Hound I'll be worried if we still aren't safe by Brum. Will have meant we haven't done the job against Brentford and WBA.

I'm fairly confident we'll win 2 of our next 3. With Oli back, Barrow and Meite on form, and goals coming from the midfield, we shouldn't struggle to score. We defended well for the majority of Preston and Norwich, and sounds like first half at Hull. Just need to be on our game

Think it will all depend on if we are not safe or not "safe". If go into the Brum game 3 points clear of Rotherham for example, then unless there is a massive GD swing we will be "safe". Could easily see the final game being a rerun of last year where we are in danger but aren't really at the same time.

With Wigan playing Millwall on the last day, if we can just get 2 points clear of both of those going into the final weekend, then we can relax.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Apr 2019 09:54

We will be safe as houses on the last day I reckon. Hopefully the players can use that fact to really have a go at Birmingham and not worry about the consequences of playing attacking football. It has been a long old slog this season so a really entertaining attacking game will be a nice way to end a miserable campaign.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Apr 2019 09:57

strangely I've quite enjoyed this season. The season before was utterly horrendous, but I've found this year quite entertaining

The low point being round about Marshall's time in charge. That was pretty depressing

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Apr 2019 10:09

Hound strangely I've quite enjoyed this season. The season before was utterly horrendous, but I've found this year quite entertaining

The low point being round about Marshall's time in charge. That was pretty depressing

Didn't we lose 0-1 at home to someone under him in what was one of the bleakest games I can remember?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Apr 2019 10:11

'Boro

yes it was shit

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Apr 2019 10:17

Hound strangely I've quite enjoyed this season. The season before was utterly horrendous, but I've found this year quite entertaining

I would agree with this... but only since Gomes came in and we made those excellent January signings.

The first half of the season with Clement was as depressing as last year.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Apr 2019 10:19

I even quite enjoyed the period between our first 6 games and when PC got sacked

some ok games and performances in there

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Apr 2019 11:12

Hound I even quite enjoyed the period between our first 6 games and when PC got sacked

some ok games and performances in there

Worst period of recent times was March 2016 onwards under McDermott II: cruelly knocked out the cup then only winning 2 out of 10 with nothing to play for. At least the relegation battles had some sort of excitement.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Apr 2019 11:16

dunno, Christmas 2017 through to Stam's sacking was as bad as anything I can ever remember

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Apr 2019 11:38

Hound dunno, Christmas 2017 through to Stam's sacking was as bad as anything I can ever remember

The Burton game was the absolute basement. Doesn't get any lower than that.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Apr 2019 11:57

Nothing enjoyable about losing most of the time over the last 2 seasons, I will take mid table obscurity over perennial relegation scraps any day of the week.

540 posts