Those were the days...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Those were the days...

by Sutekh » 05 Feb 2019 17:45

Forbury Lion Maybe it's time to tinker with the rules of football to encourage goalscoring

0 points for a 0-0 draw (not this season though, we're going to need those points!)

Prize money at the end of the season to be distributed based on goals scored rather than league position/points

Bigger & Wider goals?

Wider pitches

Defenders should have to wear wellies

biff

by biff » 05 Feb 2019 19:51

Used to love the sound of all the seats going up, coupled with a "GO ON" as everyone stood for a quick attacking break, then the brief silence as the ball is whipped in/shot. The perfect footballing noise trifecta.

Don't think we've heard it for years.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 06 Feb 2019 09:03

Sutekh
Forbury Lion Maybe it's time to tinker with the rules of football to encourage goalscoring

0 points for a 0-0 draw (not this season though, we're going to need those points!)

Prize money at the end of the season to be distributed based on goals scored rather than league position/points

Bigger & Wider goals?

Wider pitches

In which case, would a 0-8-2 formation work better?

More than one ball on the pitch at any one time would help, with two balls you'll have twice as much action, with 10 balls you'll have alot of 1:1's and loads of goals, particularly if goalkeepers are removed from the game.

Seriously though, I quite like the idea of 0-0 draws earning 0 points to encourage teams to go out and at least try and score one. Try it out in non league, if it works the next league up and so on.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Feb 2019 09:16

Forbury Lion
Sutekh

Bigger & Wider goals?

Wider pitches

In which case, would a 0-8-2 formation work better?

More than one ball on the pitch at any one time would help, with two balls you'll have twice as much action, with 10 balls you'll have alot of 1:1's and loads of goals, particularly if goalkeepers are removed from the game.

Seriously though, I quite like the idea of 0-0 draws earning 0 points to encourage teams to go out and at least try and score one. Try it out in non league, if it works the next league up and so on.

Every so often when the ball goes out it’s replaced with an identical one that’s actually a bomb.

Inflatable goalkeepers.

10 minutes a half where you can punch anyone, including the ref, fans, ball boys or your own players

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Feb 2019 09:55

Scrap any sort of "wall" at free kicks

Goalkeeper must wear oversize boots and sport large foam hands.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 06 Feb 2019 11:06

Sutekh Scrap any sort of "wall" at free kicks

Goalkeeper must wear oversize boots and sport large foam hands.
Blindfold the goalkeepers - the crowd can interact by shouting left/right/dive or use an app on their phone

Cover the penalty area with thumb tacs to avoid players diving for penalties

Put obstacles on the pitch - a bit like mini golf, make the players dribble over bridges and so on, Take the goal nets out and have things behind the goal to aim for like a windmill, if you score a goal and the ball goes in the holes you get extra points

Man of the Match - The best player gets forced to attend a 10 minute MOTM presentation starting on the 80th minute, thereby evening things out.

Subs - Don't stop play, Make them perform a WWE style tag during the game before they enter the pitch

Player monitors - Let the ref administer electric shocks for bad behavior.

Allow fans to vote for substitutions etc during the game by texting a number, The PA guy can warn them that Any votes made after the game may not count but you will still be charged.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 06 Feb 2019 11:29

Great post and the nostalgia comes flowing back , Dylan Kerr my Lord pulling his shirt over his head and running down the touchline one fo my all time favourites

The game has changed beyond recognition from those days , predominantly for the worse and mainly due to the obscene money in the game.

Managers are so frightened of losing the main focus is on defending not attacking.

If I had a magic wand.....

One point for a 0-0, two point for a score draw, three points for a home win, four points for an away win
Introduce a sin bin for two yellow cards , ten minutes off the field
Red card for third yellow or violent conduct
Immediate sin bin for abuse of the officials
Introduce a clock like rugby, where clock is stopped when no play
No substitutions after 85 minutes
Winners of the FA Cup get a Champions League place
Maximum quota of foreign players per squad
Players wages paid on results, fair basic wage with more for winning , lose , basic wage

Like I said if I had a magic wand, I haven't and never will

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Feb 2019 11:35

Gunny Fishcake Great post and the nostalgia comes flowing back , Dylan Kerr my Lord pulling his shirt over his head and running down the touchline one fo my all time favourites

The game has changed beyond recognition from those days , predominantly for the worse and mainly due to the obscene money in the game.

Managers are so frightened of losing the main focus is on defending not attacking.

One point for a 0-0, two point for a score draw, three points for a home win, four points for an away win
Players wages paid on results, fair basic wage with more for winning , lose , basic wage

Injuries :?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 06 Feb 2019 11:39

Hendo
Gunny Fishcake Great post and the nostalgia comes flowing back , Dylan Kerr my Lord pulling his shirt over his head and running down the touchline one fo my all time favourites

Injuries :?

Luck of the draw?
There was a time when there was no such thing as a substitute and the game didn't collapse..

Hopeful

by Hopeful » 06 Feb 2019 12:47

Kebe, Little, Convey and Hunt all made our style of play exciting to watch and not all used pace.
Their advantage was that the defensive duties were covered by solid full-backs (Murty, Shorey, Harte, Gunter).
Not sure we have that now.

Great OP. We will have those days again, just not this year.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 06 Feb 2019 13:34

Think keeping the same 11-16 players fit for 46 games helped quite a bit that season. We were absolute machines.
Iconic and heroes for RFC

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Feb 2019 11:50

Coppells Lost Coat Think keeping the same 11-16 players fit for 46 games helped quite a bit that season. We were absolute machines.
Iconic and heroes for RFC

True. Conversely our poor form in recent years has coincided with a ridiculous list of injuries.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Feb 2019 14:01

Gunny Fishcake Winners of the FA Cup get a Champions League place
Revert the Champions League to a knockout cup competition - No home and away legs, no seeding of teams just the luck of the draw.