BFTG - Blackburn

246 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Blackburn

by Hendo » 14 Feb 2019 16:39

Nameless Hard to understand criticism of regarding pace. Several times last night he got into foot races with one of their forwards (shortish guy) who was pretty rapid. Kept pace with him and looked fairly comfortable.

Yeah, this^

Each time I have seen him, I have always thought he was pretty quick.

Now Ilori has left, who do we think is the quickest in the team? Barrow?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Feb 2019 16:42

Hendo
Nameless Hard to understand criticism of regarding pace. Several times last night he got into foot races with one of their forwards (shortish guy) who was pretty rapid. Kept pace with him and looked fairly comfortable.

Yeah, this^

Probably. Rinomhota seems to have good acceleration. Maybe Yiadom?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Feb 2019 16:49

NewCorkSeth
Hendo

Yeah, this^

Barrow or Richards I'd think

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Feb 2019 16:55

Hound
NewCorkSeth
Hendo
Yeah, this^

Barrow or Richards I'd think

Richards? Granted I haven't seen him run full speed but the fact he could get the that long pass from Swift yesterday made me doubt his pace.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Feb 2019 17:01

think that was more due to misjudging the flight. He's pretty speedy

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Feb 2019 17:19

Top Flight Martinez and Miazga were absolutely outstanding once again last night. Just as they dominated the box against Sheffield Wednesday, they did so again last night.

What was so telling for me about last night was when the final whistle blew, the reaction of joy and accomplishment from Martinez and Miazga was great to see. They were the happiest players on the pitch at full time. These guys are true winners.

The joy shown by Oliveira as well when he smashed in the winning goal was also tremendous to see. These boys are real winners and have such great character and spirit. They are just the influence we need for the final run in. Hopefully they can rub off on all their team mates and it looks like they already are.

Ejaria put in another good shift and Swift was once again top quality.

The situation looks more positive. But i think our biggest problem is luck has not been on our side. Whenever the club finds the solutions to our problems, the solution always gets injured. It happened with Elphick last season. Ezatolahi, Oliveira getting stamped on the face. Let's hope these boys can stay fit and Lady Luck comes on to our side for once. Only Oliveira could have won us the game last night with a top drawer finish at the end. He made the difference between one point and three. That is what great players are all about.

Martinez really does make an effort. At the end of the game he once again came over to the ED Stand to give someone his goalkeeping gloves. I don’t know who was responsible for the loan signings but they have made a very positive impact.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Feb 2019 17:20

First half shambles down to Gomes. Poor team set-up. Cannot afford more slip-ups. Should have been dead and buried.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Feb 2019 17:25

Lower West First half shambles down to Gomes. Poor team set-up. Cannot afford more slip-ups. Should have been dead and buried.

Indeed, if only Oliviera had got that chip right they would have been as well......
Despite us playing poorly for 44 mins Blackburn were hardly looking likely to score a hatful.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Feb 2019 17:26

Lower West First half shambles down to Gomes. Poor team set-up. Cannot afford more slip-ups. Should have been dead and buried.

Thanks.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Feb 2019 17:41

They only had one really clear-cut chance in the first half that I can remember.

They did get into a lot of promising positions, but it wasn't like they were laying siege to our goal.

Also, I am pretty sure that we can afford some slip-ups with 42 points still left to play for.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Feb 2019 17:44

Hendo
Tilehurstsouthbank
2 world wars, 1 world cup WE WERE BRILLIANT

And last but not least for me: Martinez. Possibly the best keeper I've seen play for Reading. For me even better than USA.

You are trippin'! he's decent I'll grant you that, but AAH in his pomp was better.

LOL.

He could pull a world class save out of nowhere but Martinez is by far the better all round 'keeper.

He's played barely a handful of games for us. Ludicrous to be saying he's as good or better than goalkeepers who put in scores of excellent performances at this stage.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Feb 2019 18:21

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Tilehurstsouthbank
You are trippin'! he's decent I'll grant you that, but AAH in his pomp was better.

LOL.

He could pull a world class save out of nowhere but Martinez is by far the better all round 'keeper.

He's played barely a handful of games for us. Ludicrous to be saying he's as good or better than goalkeepers who put in scores of excellent performances at this stage.

Sometimes you can just tell when someone is a class above. Martinez is, for me.

Much like Matthew Upson, who only played 14 games for us, is still, for me, one of our best ever CBs.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Feb 2019 18:23

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
Hendo
LOL.

Sometimes you can just tell when someone is a class above. Martinez is, for me.

Class above his competition sure. Potential to have a career at a higher level, sure. At this stage, way too early to compare to Hahnemann, Shaka or Ali Al-Habsi.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 14 Feb 2019 18:42

What a great night. After the first thirty minutes I had visions of a Lego version of Man City and Chelski from last weekend. Facepalmed when I saw Kelly next to Swift. Cried when Richards was forced to play out of position.

Luckily, Swansea’s luck didn’t hold for the rovers. That lob of Mr Oliveira’s made them sit up. Swifts goal I never thought would hit target. There you go.

The last few minutes, with crowd scenes around our goal, their sooper-honest-as-the-day-is-long poacher in a 23 shirt milling about, well good that Mr Martinez has very steady nerves.

The Mr Bean impression of the ref was the most worrying. He was looking everywhere, seeing an alternate reality. Spooky. Luckily he was crap all round, as opposed to biased one way or another.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 14 Feb 2019 18:46

Nope.

Rino was injured and we don't have any other tenacious tough tackling midfielders to play there. His only choice was to play more balanced wide men who would track back and help our only 2 CMs in the middle. I really don't think there was any other choice.

Meite is also not 100% fit and would not last the 90mins.

Blackburn definitely deserved to be ahead in the 1st half and I agree we should have been dead and buried. They knew we had no other CMs and were physically inferior in the middle so all they had to do was hunt our CMs down into hurried passes. That's why we had so little of the ball in the 1st half and why Blackburn overran our midfielders.

We desparately need Eza back to help out Rino when he's fit.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Feb 2019 18:52

Singing Defective What a great night.
Facepalmed when I saw Kelly next to Swift.

1. It certainly was. :wink:
2. Me too, but reckon he had few other options. Previous managers paired them numerous times, so I'm not about to crucify Gomes for it, esp in a game we lead at the half, and won.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Feb 2019 19:06

I think I'd have preferred Kelly and Baker. Swift really is only suited to the number 10 role and usually doesn't do a very good job of getting stuck in, he also takes too many risks in our half.

Swift and Aluko in midfield doesn't work for me. It's just too much fluff and not enough crunch. One or the other and the one should be Swift.

On top of that you then have Ejaria and Richards. Now I know Riichards is a defender, but the defensive side of his game isn't exactly his strength as a full back.

Think it should have been:

...................Martinez
Yiadom, Miazga, Moore, Blackett
.................Baker...Kelly
...McCleary....Swift............Barrow
.....................Oliveira

You can rely on McCleary to do his defensive work. Baker can't be less able physically than Swift or Aluko and Barrow is the slight odd man out who might do some damage.

There's then an opportunity for a Holsgrove or East etc to get a bit of bench experience covering midfield in place of Baker.

I recognise Gomes had limited options but an uncharacteristic end product from Swift and the quality of Oliveira got him out of jail from a less than optimal selection.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Feb 2019 19:25

Snowflake Royal I think I'd have preferred Kelly and Baker. Swift really is only suited to the number 10 role and usually doesn't do a very good job of getting stuck in, he also takes too many risks in our half.

Swift and Aluko in midfield doesn't work for me. It's just too much fluff and not enough crunch. One or the other and the one should be Swift.

On top of that you then have Ejaria and Richards. Now I know Riichards is a defender, but the defensive side of his game isn't exactly his strength as a full back.

Think it should have been:

...................Martinez
Yiadom, Miazga, Moore, Blackett
.................Baker...Kelly
...McCleary....Swift............Barrow
.....................Oliveira

You can rely on McCleary to do his defensive work. Baker can't be less able physically than Swift or Aluko and Barrow is the slight odd man out who might do some damage.

There's then an opportunity for a Holsgrove or East etc to get a bit of bench experience covering midfield in place of Baker.

I recognise Gomes had limited options but an uncharacteristic end product from Swift and the quality of Oliveira got him out of jail from a less than optimal selection.

GMac offers very little these days and needs to be released in the summer. Ejaria was really poor in the first half but improved and should have had an assist when he played in Meite in the second half. Not sure about Baker. Early days but I would have played him ahead of Kelly.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Feb 2019 19:32

NewCorkSeth
Hendo

Yeah, this^

I may be imagining this but haven't they previously done some timed sprints and the man so many love to hate (Gunter) was amongst the fastest, if not the fastest.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Feb 2019 19:41

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Tilehurstsouthbank

LOL.

OK so all the signs are extremely positive. He will have to have a major drop in form for the praise not to be proven justified in the longer term. And it really is rose tinted memories suggesting that AAH, even in his pomp, was better. Great guy, popular, saved us on a lot of occasions but had plenty of weaknesses and quite a few mistakes in him - hence some of the nicknames he has earned during his career.

As for Arsenal being prepared to let him go and/or him being prepared to join us - he could quite conceivably still be third choice at The Emirates next season when Ospina returns. So, if we succeed in staying up we might get him. I seem to remember some of us were quite surprised when Marcus decided to join us permanently.

246 posts