MATCHWATCH : Rotherham United (h) sponsored by all or nothing

187 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Rotherham United (h) sponsored by all or nothing

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Feb 2019 13:10

Royals-lad14
Old Man Andrews
Royals-lad14 Think Gunter may be a better option at LB with his aerial capability, especially with Rotherham's Hoof tactics.

Sorry but this is hilarious. Chris Gunter being brave enough to win an aerial battle :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Much much better than Richards... considering Gunter has also played CB before...

I am rarely agreed with here but I think I might get a lot of support by saying that Chris Gunter is the last possible player I would want in my defence if the opposition were playing long balls.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2019 13:49

Barcelona Blue
Royals and Racers
Barcelona Blue Someone earlier said about putting U23 Ryan east in there, I know he made the bench for the United game but just been on YouTube to see if I can see him but not too much on there- anyone whose been to U23 game -what´s he like? is he good enough to step in?

Really good left foot and useless right foot. Decent player but he`s quite small- about the same height as Kelly. He has also recently added goals to his game. He does the simple things well . if needed tomorrow i reckon he wouldn`t let us down.

Thanks RandR, it might be the game to bring him in then, It´s ok to be small as long as hes strong as its going to be tough in the midfield on saturdayl, nice to know weve got another option though

From the little I've seen I'd describe him as busy, tidy, energetic and small. Keeps it simple.

Combines very well with Holsgrove.

I like to think he wouldn't be overawed and would take the opportunity to really play up and get stuck in to pay back the trust.

Probably not ready to play regularly, but worth giving a shot to see if he can improve on Swift or Baker in midfield short term - one who is only a No 10 and one who is desperately mediocre and soft.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Feb 2019 15:06

Blackett also expected to be fit, least he’s back in training anyway, so at there are defensive options available.

Therefore perhaps midfield shouldn’t be as big a problem as we think as I would have thought it isn’t too much of a change to stick a central defender in as a DM (esp. someone like Blackett who has mobility, a bit of pace, physical presence and should have pretty good cover behind him in case of any mistakes made).

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 22 Feb 2019 17:49

At least one of Frost, East, Barrett or Loader will be on the bench tomorrow as they didn't play for the U23s.

Frost was recalled from his loan at Havant a few days ago and was training with the first team along with Barrett and East. Gomes did say in his interview he had some of the U23s training and one or two might make the squad.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Feb 2019 09:26

Err, so we haven't actually beaten any of the bottom three this season :/ I don't feel nervous, more like dread.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 23 Feb 2019 10:14

This is such a massive game but as we know this team is powderpuff soft and just won't turn up. They may be better players individually but Rotherham have more of a team ethic and work rate to overcome their limited ability.

On top of the injuries, our complete lack of a defensive midfield, I think the best we can hope for is that they fail to score and we grind out a 0-0 dullfest. If they decide to come at our defence then I can see them scoring and us failing to respond.

I think we'd have a better chance playing Leeds.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Feb 2019 10:20

Sutekh Blackett also expected to be fit, least he’s back in training anyway, so at there are defensive options available.

Therefore perhaps midfield shouldn’t be as big a problem as we think as I would have thought it isn’t too much of a change to stick a central defender in as a DM (esp. someone like Blackett who has mobility, a bit of pace, physical presence and should have pretty good cover behind him in case of any mistakes made).

If only some of you guys had played in central midfield you would know that Blackett is just not an option.

To play centrally you must have awareness of what is going on around you and be able to move left or right quickly.
Blackett IMHO is the sort of player who has to be facing the play so in a back 4, a back 3 or left-back are ideally where he would play.

Even if you want to call the central position "defensive midfielder" the player has to be able to move readily right or left and can you seriously see him moving comfortably across to the right hand side when needed and taking the man with his right foot?
The last thing we want v Rotherham is to be giving away set pieces in our half.

At a push he might play left midfield but we have seen dire consequencies of players not playing in their natural positions and today surely is not a day for experimentation.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 23 Feb 2019 10:22

This is MASSIVE today. Come on Reading. Turn up. Show passion and commitment like never before. Fight for everything.
Bust a gut. 100% effort....nothing less....absolute bare minimum...100% commitment.

Almost 50 years following this lot. I'm just asking for TOTAL AND UTTER pride, commitment, effort and passion.

COME ON !!

cp

by cp » 23 Feb 2019 11:15

Agree... I can forgive quite a lot, even losing (not today please), if it is obvious that they have given everything they had.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 23 Feb 2019 13:38

Anyone else have a bad feeling about today's game? I had two dreams last night about this game. Both resulted in home wins of 1-0 and 3-2 - but we were the away team?!?? Clearly a very confused soul here!!

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 23 Feb 2019 13:42

It would be very Reading-escue to bottle it and lose today

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Feb 2019 14:11

Often have to drag myself along reluctantly to the mongbowl but I am bang up for this today. Looking forward to this game more than I have any other for ages.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Feb 2019 14:17

Ranty McRantface At least one of Frost, East, Barrett or Loader will be on the bench tomorrow as they didn't play for the U23s.

Frost was recalled from his loan at Havant a few days ago and was training with the first team along with Barrett and East. Gomes did say in his interview he had some of the U23s training and one or two might make the squad.

Not necessarily, U23s have an important game on Monday night so would suggest that’s the most likely reason they were missing.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Feb 2019 14:19

Today’s teams

Reading: Martínez, Yiadom, Moore (c), Miazga, Blackett, Swift, Ejaria, Baker, McCleary, Méïté, Oliveira.
Subs: Walker, Gunter, O'Shea, McShane, Harriott, Barrow, Loader.

Rotherham United: Rodak, Mattock, Ajayi, Ihiekwe, Jones, Vaulks (c), Towell, Robertson, Taylor, Smith, Forde.
Subs: Price, Vyner, Wood, Crooks, Yates, Newell, Williams.

Swift, Ejaria, Baker in midfield. 4-3-3. Same problem as last week then.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 23 Feb 2019 14:34

Nice attacking looking line up today. Hopefully our players will perform

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Feb 2019 14:42

Sutekh Today’s teams

Reading: Martínez, Yiadom, Moore (c), Miazga, Blackett, Swift, Ejaria, Baker, McCleary, Méïté, Oliveira.

Rotherham United: Rodak, Mattock, Ajayi, Ihiekwe, Jones, Vaulks (c), Towell, Robertson, Taylor, Smith, Forde.

So much for any young midfielders getting a chance.

Fairly happy with the back five and front three.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 23 Feb 2019 14:46

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh Today’s teams

In a game like today we need experience. Gomes recognises that and it's why McShane and O'Shea are on the bench.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Feb 2019 15:09

Royal_jimmy
Snowflake Royal
Sutekh Today’s teams

In a game like today we need experience. Gomes recognises that and it's why McShane and O'Shea are on the bench.

Yeah, neither of them are midfielders or playing. And tbh, both of them should be retired or playing at a lower level.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Feb 2019 15:11

My concern is Rotherham seem to have goals in them....we don't....they have a better team ethic.....I'm worried. Just hope the loaners can turn it around.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Feb 2019 15:19

Rotherham's kit looks proper shite.

But they've done their homework
Pressing hard and high.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 23 Feb 2019 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

187 posts