BFTG Rotherham

127 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Rotherham

by Hound » 25 Feb 2019 09:22

Thats a huge game for Rotherham. After that they have Sheff Utd away, QPR away, Norwich home, Derby away.

They'll see the game against us a big missed opportunity as well. Big pressure on them to get the 3 points against Blackburn

Mind you, checking our fixtures, they look a lot harder than I remember them being. Games against the likes of Preston, Brizzle and Brentford suddenly look very difficult, where a couple of months ago you might be thinking they'd be a very good chance of points.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Feb 2019 09:29

Hound Thats a huge game for Rotherham. After that they have Sheff Utd away, QPR away, Norwich home, Derby away.

They'll see the game against us a big missed opportunity as well. Big pressure on them to get the 3 points against Blackburn

Mind you, checking our fixtures, they look a lot harder than I remember them being. Games against the likes of Preston, Brizzle and Brentford suddenly look very difficult, where a couple of months ago you might be thinking they'd be a very good chance of points.

The strength of the run in changes all the time - Bristol City was always going to be a difficult one and whilst Preston and Brentford look more difficult, Hull are regressing back to mean a bit and Leeds are on a run of 1 win in 5 away.

Timing of games is key too - we play Bristol C with 4 games left, so could be under a lot of pressure to get a result to cement a play-off place - also worth noting that us and Rotherham both face WBA, Boro and Birmingham in our last 3 games.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 25 Feb 2019 10:59

Born Again Royalist You omly have to look at the bench today to see negativity on selection 4 of them were defensive, Gunter, O shea, Mc Shane plus keeper. This was a game we had to Win not defend

Who would you have added to the bench that was fit and available?

Duffy

by Duffy » 25 Feb 2019 13:47

10. Posted by Largewomble on
24 Feb 2019 15:08
Ground has got so plastic, stupid things like having the fans on the teamsheet and an overfriendly family atmosphere. Maidenhead make more noise with less than 10% of the fans

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 25 Feb 2019 14:39

URZZZZ Meyler is only on the bench because he got injured a couple of weeks ago and Cov picked up a couple of wins. Let's be honest, Luton are a better team than Rotherham and as soon as Meyler was brought on, he stopped the flow of the game for Luton. He certainly would have been adequate to bring on yesterday, I feel he gets a lot of bad press. In my opinion, and I understand a lot of people would disagree, loaning Meyler out was a shocking call from Gomes, considering Bacuna was gone earlier in the day

Yep, I didn't see the Luton game, but I hear you. Last week I actually suggested that recalling Meyler for Rotherham might be an option. That was predictably met with 'If Meyler is the answer, you're asking the wrong question' from the usual suspect. But yes, I agree with you, we could have done worse. Just felt that Rovrum may have suited him. They are not especially fast, and he's tall, physical and aggressive. Having given him a 3 year deal, how 3 different managers have found no use for him here in our situation this season is rather strange and very unfortunate. This squad is littered with players we can't/don't/won't use. It's possible Rino and Eza won't be back for Ipswich and Wigan(?) Wonder if we'll try to line up the same.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Feb 2019 14:56

Denver Royal
URZZZZ Meyler is only on the bench because he got injured a couple of weeks ago and Cov picked up a couple of wins. Let's be honest, Luton are a better team than Rotherham and as soon as Meyler was brought on, he stopped the flow of the game for Luton. He certainly would have been adequate to bring on yesterday, I feel he gets a lot of bad press. In my opinion, and I understand a lot of people would disagree, loaning Meyler out was a shocking call from Gomes, considering Bacuna was gone earlier in the day

Yep, I didn't see the Luton game, but I hear you. Last week I actually suggested that recalling Meyler for Rotherham might be an option. That was predictably met with 'If Meyler is the answer, you're asking the wrong question' from the usual suspect. But yes, I agree with you, we could have done worse. Just felt that Rovrum may have suited him. They are not especially fast, and he's tall, physical and aggressive. Having given him a 3 year deal, how 3 different managers have found no use for him here in our situation this season is rather strange and very unfortunate. This squad is littered with players we can't/don't/won't use. It's possible Rino and Eza won't be back for Ipswich and Wigan(?) Wonder if we'll try to line up the same.

Impression I have (on no substantiated grounds whatsoever) is Eza's out for the rest of the season.

Rino. The club won't say whether it's long term which kind of makes me hopeful he'll be back at least by Leeds if not sooner.

In the meantime I, personally, would put Blackett in as a DM and use Richards/Gunter to cover the left back role.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 25 Feb 2019 15:05

Sutekh
Denver Royal

Impression I have (on no substantiated grounds whatsoever) is Eza's out for the rest of the season.

Rino. The club won't say whether it's long term which kind of makes me hopeful he'll be back at least by Leeds if not sooner.

In the meantime I, personally, would put Blackett in as a DM and use Richards/Gunter to cover the left back role.

Yeah, sort of got away with it on Sat, but that was Rovrum at home. And now, there's still a dozen games left...
Last edited by Denver Royal on 25 Feb 2019 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Feb 2019 15:07

Just before kick-off Kevin from Didcot,who sits behind me, noticed that a towel had been picked up from the touchline and when Rotherham's no.4 came over to take the first long through he looked around in vain for the towel.

That incident, along with Gomes' plan of using Meite as an extra body in defence for set plays shows that we set out not to lose, compounded with O'Shea ludicrously brought on to play in midfield.

Do we think that Gomes doesn't understand that if we draw all of our games we will probably get relegated.?

I agree with leon, ZIP and the others who queried why, for the first 35 minutes of the second half, we allowed Rotherham to come on to us at will.
Surprise, surprise and how many times has this happened to us in recent times that the opposition have scored and got back in the game?

1-0 is not a good enough scoreline for a team like ours to defend-if we had been leading 2-0 or 3-0 I could understand why another defender might be brought on but surely we had to go for more goals and put the game to bed against a team 3rd from bottom and with the 2nd worst defensive record in this division?

Harriot and Barrow coming on was far too late and I only think that Barrow made a bit of a hash of that final ball near the end because he had only just come on.

So, where do we go from here?
Ipswich, who looked better than us when we played them earlier this season but they just don't win games, and surely we will take the game to them and not just try to nick a goal on the break.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Feb 2019 15:09

Sutekh
Denver Royal

NO,no,no Sutekh, wash your mouth out with soap and water-we don't want centre-backs, slow of thought to play there.
David Luiz might be able to do it, Declan Rice might be able to do it but slow-thinking Tyler, please no.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Feb 2019 15:12

Victor Meldrew
Sutekh
Denver Royal Yep, I didn't see the Luton game, but I hear you. Last week I actually suggested that recalling Meyler for Rotherham might be an option. That was predictably met with 'If Meyler is the answer, you're asking the wrong question' from the usual suspect. But yes, I agree with you, we could have done worse. Just felt that Rovrum may have suited him. They are not especially fast, and he's tall, physical and aggressive. Having given him a 3 year deal, how 3 different managers have found no use for him here in our situation this season is rather strange and very unfortunate. This squad is littered with players we can't/don't/won't use. It's possible Rino and Eza won't be back for Ipswich and Wigan(?) Wonder if we'll try to line up the same.

NO,no,no Sutekh, wash your mouth out with soap and water-we don't want centre-backs, slow of thought to play there.
David Luiz might be able to do it, Declan Rice might be able to do it but slow-thinking Tyler, please no.

How do you know he can't do it? How many times have you seen Tyler Blackett playing as a CDM? I take it you have seen him play that role before, yes?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Feb 2019 15:15

Baker did a half decent job as a fairly defensive CM on sat. Especially in the first half.

Certainly think he did better there than Blackett or Meyler would have managed. I think how negative we became was a mindset issue rather than due to the players abilities on the pitch tbh

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 25 Feb 2019 15:18

Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew
Sutekh

How do you know he can't do it? How many times have you seen Tyler Blackett playing as a CDM? I take it you have seen him play that role before, yes?

Personally, would rather have the consistency of the same starting 11. Would only change Meite as his style doesn't suit the way we want to play as he is too clumsy in possession.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Feb 2019 15:30

Kes, or whoever you are, I have been playing, coaching and watching football since long before you were born and along the way may have developed a bit of an understanding of how the game works and believe that I can judge a player's capabilities after watching him for a couple of seasons and not just a couple of games.

This player is o.k. when facing the play and has a reasonable touch with one foot- I would prefer him to be braver in the air but he isn't and that is why presumably, despite his physique, different managers have more often than not played him at left-back, away from the hurly-burly of the middle.

Playing in the midfield areas you need quick-thinking and spatial awareness and poor Tyler has neither of these-so often he seems oblivious of what is happening around him.

This manager may well take up this option but, as with the O'Shea fiasco on Saturday, you don't just "stick" a player in that position which is the expression used by some posters.

IMHO it would be as barmy as Kelly being "stuck" in goal.

If it happens with Blackett and it helps keep Reading up then great but I suggest that you try thinking things through a bit better before making such suggestions.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Feb 2019 15:40

Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew
Sutekh

By your logic, let's put Gunter upfront on Saturday and Oliveira in goal. You've never seen that happen before so how do you know it wouldn't work?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Feb 2019 15:44

Victor Meldrew Kes, or whoever you are, I have been playing, coaching and watching football since long before you were born and along the way may have developed a bit of an understanding of how the game works and believe that I can judge a player's capabilities after watching him for a couple of seasons and not just a couple of games.

This player is o.k. when facing the play and has a reasonable touch with one foot- I would prefer him to be braver in the air but he isn't and that is why presumably, despite his physique, different managers have more often than not played him at left-back, away from the hurly-burly of the middle.

Playing in the midfield areas you need quick-thinking and spatial awareness and poor Tyler has neither of these-so often he seems oblivious of what is happening around him.

This manager may well take up this option but, as with the O'Shea fiasco on Saturday, you don't just "stick" a player in that position which is the expression used by some posters.

If it happens with Blackett and it helps keep Reading up then great but I suggest that you try thinking things through a bit better before making such suggestions.

I coach too and I would guess to a higher level than you judging by what you're saying. Thats besides the point though as it has nothing to do with what I said.

You have no idea how Tyler Blackett would play in that role because he is yet to do it. You can only judge his capabilites as a CB or LB, you're wrong in what you said too. He has gone to LB due to a complete lack of cover we have had in that position for the past two seasons. He has actually done well this season taking all things into consideration.

I didn't make the suggestion.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Feb 2019 15:45

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew

By your logic, let's put Gunter upfront on Saturday and Oliveira in goal. You've never seen that happen before so how do you know it wouldn't work?

I'd suggest putting a right back up front and a striker in goal is a bit more of a step than putting a centre back in as a CDM.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 25 Feb 2019 16:06

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews How do you know he can't do it? How many times have you seen Tyler Blackett playing as a CDM? I take it you have seen him play that role before, yes?

I'd suggest putting a right back up front and a striker in goal is a bit more of a step than putting a centre back in as a CDM.

God, I actually cannot believe what I just read.

This place really is laughable.

I mean, it is not like Klopp, the manager of the best team in the country, has put Fabinho (A CDM) at Centre back. Oh wait yes he has.

I wonder if their fans started acting hysterical and said "We may aswell put Divock Origi in goal".

It is barely a position change.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 25 Feb 2019 16:10

Victor Meldrew Kes, or whoever you are, I have been playing, coaching and watching football since long before you were born and along the way may have developed a bit of an understanding of how the game works and believe that I can judge a player's capabilities after watching him for a couple of seasons and not just a couple of games.

It really annoys me when people use the "I am older then you and been playing football for longer then you so know more" schtick as a means to try and be superior.

I reckon I am 30/35 years younger then you but could tell you more about data analysis in sports, sports science and tactics, coaching and training at a higher level then you, because as job I do it for a professional team and get paid to do so, and travel the world to do so and work with some of the finest coaches in the world day in and day out.

The fact that you feel the need to say that normally means you are blowing your own trumpet, as it is the quietest people who are the most knowledgeable and they do not need to blow their own trumpets.

BTW judging by what you have said, you do not really know all that much and you probably need to stop watching Carra and Neville on sky sports to form your opinions.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Feb 2019 16:16

The Enfield Royal71
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

God, I actually cannot believe what I just read.

This place really is laughable.

I mean, it is not like Klopp, the manager of the best team in the country, has put Fabinho (A CDM) at Centre back. Oh wait yes he has.

I wonder if their fans started acting hysterical and said "We may aswell put Divock Origi in goal".

It is barely a position change.

First of all Fabinho went CB only because Liverpool had an emergency crisis in that position. We don't. We have Baker, Ejaria, Swift, Rino coming back who can play there.

Secondly, some people said O'Shea would make a good CDM, guess what it didn't work and we conceded because he was too slow to get to the ball. How predictable. So why would Blackett work

Thirdly, it is a position change. CB and CM are two completely different positions. Obviously, if you think it's "barely a position change" you clearly don't understand football very much.

And lastly, we don't even play with a CDM so the theory is complete nonsense anyway. The 2 in midfield are centre midfielders, not defensive midfielders. Mind you, if you think CB and CDM is "barely a change" then you probably wouldn't understand it anyway. Blackett will not be playing centre midfield Saturday, that's a fact, he dawdles miles too much to play the quick football Gomes wants in midfield

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 25 Feb 2019 16:22

The Enfield Royal71 [
It really annoys me when people use the "I am older then you and been playing football for longer then you so know more" schtick as a means to try and be superior.

I reckon I am 30/35 years younger then you but could tell you more about data analysis in sports, sports science and tactics, coaching and training at a higher level then you, because as job I do it for a professional team and get paid to do so, and travel the world to do so and work with some of the finest coaches in the world day in and day out.

I used to be quite good at FIFA does that count?

127 posts