252 posts
Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Gomes after 10 League Games

by Denver Royal » 01 Apr 2019 15:15

NewCorkSeth
Victor Meldrew
NewCorkSeth So you agree we are in a grey area right now with them? Meite and Barrow are our most in-form attackers so despite Barrow being a good option off the bench he really should start. He even worked well up top last game.

Which is interesting because it's something we have discussed on here often enough. With Meite on the right wing we have an aerial presence and with Martinez we have a keeper capable of passing the ball out fast and accurately.

Barrow up top gave the Preston defenders a lot to think about. I really do think that Gomes is tinkering with them tactically as well. He's analysing the opponents to see who would be effective where. I wouldn't be surprised to see a constant rotation for the rest of the season.

Gomes actually said after the Wigan game that he doesn't see Meite as a central striker and the plan was to move the front 3 around.

Probably because of Barrow's injury he didn't do quite the same on Saturday and when Oliviera returns wingers will stay in their recognised positions.

Its great that we can have a mini selection headache now.

Yep, a nice problem to have, and it beats the alternative.
And I agree, Barrow up top has caused confusion in some defences (and some in here, too :wink: )

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Apr 2019 22:42

1-4 Swansea
2-0 Forest
1-2 Derby
1-1 Bolton
0-0 Villa

0-0 Wednesday. (6 pts from 1-6) LWLDDD
2-1 Blackburn. (9 from 2-7) WLDDDW
0-4 Sheffield Utd (6 from 3-8) LDDDWL
1-1 Rotherham. (7 from 4-9) DDDWLD

2-1 Ipswich. (9 from 5-10) DDWLDW
3-2 Wigan (11 points from games 6-11) DWLDWW

0-3 Leeds (10 points from games 7-12) WLDWWL
0-0 Stoke (8 points from games 8-13) LDWWLD
2-1 Preston (11 points from games 9-14) DWWLDW
1-3 Hull ( 10 Points from games 10-15 WWLDWL)
2-2 Norwich (8 Points from games 11-16 WLDWLD) (includes Top 2 teams in league)
2-1 Brentford (8 points from games 12-17 LDWLDW) (includes Top 2 teams in league)

19 Points from last 12 games 1.58 ppg (73 point season equivalent)(includes Top 2 teams in league)
15 Points from last 10 games 1.50 ppg (69 point season equivalent)(includes Top 2 teams in league)
15 points from last 09 games 1.66 ppg (77 point season equivalent)(includes Top 2 teams in league)
14 points from last 08 games 1.75 ppg (81 point season equivalent)(includes Top 2 teams in league)
08 Points from last 06 games 1.33 ppg (61 point season equivalent)(includes Top 2 teams in league)

And let's not forget that we played Leeds, Preston, Hull, Norwich in this most recent 6-game spell

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Apr 2019 23:52

Jose Gomes is going a long way to making me happy to be a Reading fan again.

Haven’t had that for a long time. McDermotts first stint.

Whatever happens he needs to stay.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Apr 2019 23:59

Loving the new found love

Just who was saying “who” when he came on board?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 14 Apr 2019 00:06

AthleticoSpizz Loving the new found love

Just who was saying “who” when he came on board?

We all were tbf. Some of us just didn’t dismiss him out of hand as shit. He seems to be an actual proper manager that can motivate his team.

Now Clement on the other hand.....

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 14 Apr 2019 00:17

Happy to admit I personally was very disappointed with his appointment. Verging on angry. Given his cV and record I still can’t but feel the owners took a huge punt. It could have gone very wrong. Still not entirely sure what they saw on paper to appoint him. But it’s worked out well so far.

But would it have worked out well with another big name? It may well have done. Until we are safe and push on to top 8 next season I still won’t be convinced that Gomes was the perfect choice. Also his loan signings must have cost a pretty penny. He’ll have to start from scratch again this summer.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 14 Apr 2019 00:39

Greatwesternline Happy to admit I personally was very disappointed with his appointment. Verging on angry. Given his cV and record I still can’t but feel the owners took a huge punt. It could have gone very wrong. Still not entirely sure what they saw on paper to appoint him. But it’s worked out well so far.

But would it have worked out well with another big name? It may well have done. Until we are safe and push on to top 8 next season I still won’t be convinced that Gomes was the perfect choice. Also his loan signings must have cost a pretty penny. He’ll have to start from scratch again this summer.

Sorry but this is utter shit.

We were fcuked when he came in now we’re not. The entire atmosphere around the club has been transformed from utter despair to optimism.

The loan signings have changed the dynamics of the team and I reckon we could sign a few of them.(apparently didn’t cost us much either)

I’d stick to pretending to know about economics and encouraging simpletons to get into debt on AE if I were you.
Last edited by leon on 14 Apr 2019 00:41, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Apr 2019 00:40

Greatwesternline Happy to admit I personally was very disappointed with his appointment. Verging on angry. Given his cV and record I still can’t but feel the owners took a huge punt. It could have gone very wrong. Still not entirely sure what they saw on paper to appoint him. But it’s worked out well so far.

Nameless confirmed we only had to pay a fee for one of the loan signings.
Last edited by Zip on 14 Apr 2019 00:45, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Apr 2019 00:44

leon

We were fcuked when he came in now we’re not. The entire atmosphere around the club has been transformed from utter despair to optimism.

The loan signings have changed the dynamics of the team and I reckon we could sign a few of them.(apparently didn’t cost us much either)

I’d stick to pretending to know about economics and encouraging simpletons to get into get into debt on AE if I were you.

The atmosphere was bordering on toxic last year. It is so much better now. The loan signings have come in and played with passion and desire. Seeing Baker celebrate, Martinez come over to the supporters at the end, Oliveira show courage coming back so soon from injuries, Miazga’s anger when we conceded and Ejaria’s joy when he scored has been brilliant. It has rubbed off on the others. They have changed the dynamic alongside a charismatic coach who has somehow got them to buy into our fight to stay up.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Apr 2019 01:34

leon

I’d stick to pretending to know about economics and encouraging simpletons to get into debt on AE if I were you.

That is total bullshit to be fair. Top 8 next season? That's not how football works luv.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2019 06:53

I do agree with gwl his appointment appeared a baffling punt. Not that there were a plethora of great options out there at the time. But risky and confusing punt or no, it's worked a dream so far. Whether by luck or judgement we'll maybe never know.

Most importantly he seems to be a unifying figure and the whole of the club seems happier (*coughGonelaycough*).

He does have a lot of work to do over the summer still though. Players to shift, wages to cut, holes to fill on a budget, loanees to sign / replace. And just because he's done great so far doesn't mean he'll continue to do so. Stam had a great first season.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Apr 2019 07:04

Don’t think the appointment was a punt at all. Just because fans rely on Wikipedia for their partial info doesn’t mean the club did.
His Cv was wrongly seen by some as showing a guy who couldn’t stick at a Job for more than a handful of games and hadhad no success. That was a very unfair interpretation and should perhaps be a lesson that we actually don’t know much. The initial reaction from some to loan signings has similarly been made to look rather daft.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Apr 2019 07:21

Typical Team Board. The guy has turned us around and there are if, buts and even people seeming to be preparing for him to eventually fail.

If you can't enjoy how Gomes has revitalised a club that were on a downward spiral in such a short timeframe then what exactly would you enjoy?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Apr 2019 08:05

Stam never really got the fans onside in the same way though

If we could start next season in the champ with much the same side as we fielded today, then Gomes, his back room staff (the fitness and maybe the general coaching has definitely gone up a notch), the board and the owners have done a very good job from the absolute pits we were in

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 14 Apr 2019 09:18

Zip

What so all the players are having all their wages paid or by their home clubs?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Apr 2019 09:24

Greatwesternline
Zip

Gomes confirmed in the fans forum that some of the loan signings are totally free, in terms of the fee and wages.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Apr 2019 09:52

Hendo
Greatwesternline
Zip

Gomes confirmed in the fans forum that some of the loan signings are totally free, in terms of the fee and wages.

Will be interesting whether there are any strings attached though.
It could be we were really lucky and clubs were happy to let us have players to boost their confidence (in a relegation fight ?) , give them a last chance to impress etc etc.
Or we could have agreed to let certain clubs have first refusal on some of our Academy prospects.
Or it could be agents sorted deals for us in return for getting preferential terms on future deals.
Or it could be any fees are rolled up into what we would have to pay if we want to make deals permanent.
No idea, it does seem extraordinary to have picked up such good players for essentially nothing but that is what Jose has said very clearly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2019 11:00

Hendo
Greatwesternline
Zip

Actually a bit worrying in terms of chances to sign any of them.

Who gives someone a player for free ffs. It's madness.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 14 Apr 2019 11:18

Nameless Don’t think the appointment was a punt at all. Just because fans rely on Wikipedia for their partial info doesn’t mean the club did.

No. They relied on an agent who seemed determined to pick someone on his books, so he'd get a cut, and even then was second choice.

Unless you think our Chinese owners have a deep knowledge of the Portuguese league.

Signings, be they players or managers, get initially judged on the previous record. Sometimes they can be better or worse than expected.

Unless you were predicting he'd do well, it's a bit daft having a go at those who expressed an opinion, and I don't actually remember anybody saying he'd be good. You just had some saying they hoped he do well, as if the people who doubted him didn't.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 14 Apr 2019 11:20

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Greatwesternline

Actually a bit worrying in terms of chances to sign any of them.

Who gives someone a player for free ffs. It's madness.

It's not that uncommon, as the clubs loaning the players out think it'll give them good experience.

252 posts