Stadium screens

Old Man Andrews

Re: Stadium screens

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jan 2019 17:44

Hendo Stadiums in America > everywhere else.

Agreed. They've put the rest of the world to shame in recent years. There are a couple of new ones on the horizon over there that look great too. The designs are so innovative.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 14 Jan 2019 18:48

If only isambard kingdom brunel were still alive

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Jan 2019 09:52

Old Man Andrews

Agreed. They've put the rest of the world to shame in recent years. There are a couple of new ones on the horizon over there that look great too. The designs are so innovative.

Was lucky enough to see the Cowboys v Buccaneers game before Xmas. The AT&T stadium is ridiculous but no doubt will look "old hat" in less than a decade.

Duffy

by Duffy » 15 Jan 2019 13:10

Yes. Another great stadium.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Jan 2019 15:15

Seems bizarre to have such great stadia to host such rubbish sports....

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Jan 2019 15:25

Nameless

:arrow: Get out.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Jan 2019 21:09

Nameless

Mercedes Benz Stadium hosts Atlanta Utd and their fans are already (only half jokingly) talking about displacing The Falcons who play with an egg shaped ball.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 15 Jan 2019 21:23

Old Man Andrews
RoyalBlue
tmesis We should get this...

No, can do better than that!

That is the best looking stadium in sports bar none.

Getting a bit off topic but I've been lucky enough to go to quite a number of Atlanta Utd games at the Mercedes Benz. The Georgia Dome that it replaced was fantastic, the MBS is pretty much out of this world. Besides the 360 degree screen in the main bowl, there are TVs everywhere. You can go to for a pee without missing any of the action!

For one game some fans were moaning because they were planning to have the roof open and they wouldn't feel the benefit of the air conditioning in their seats!

Front row is very close to the action (subs warm up behind the goals) but if you're sat in the top tier, whilst the view is still great, it makes the top of the away stand at Wigan seem flat and at sea level! Not good for anyone who suffers from vertigo although you can get escalators almost right the way up.

I really would recommend a visit to an Atlanta United game. Crowd and atmosphere is fantastic and the tailgate before hand is an absolute must. Pay $10 to one of the supporter groups and get unlimited beer, shots (drinks not the other US past-time) , snacks etc. free!

Park nearby for $10 and even with attendances of 70,000+ they still get everyone on their way after games in hardly no time at all.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 15 Jan 2019 21:35

RoyalBlue
Old Man Andrews
RoyalBlue
No, can do better than that!

That is the best looking stadium in sports bar none.

Getting a bit off topic but I've been lucky enough to go to quite a number of Atlanta Utd games at the Mercedes Benz. The Georgia Dome that it replaced was fantastic, the MBS is pretty much out of this world. Besides the 360 degree screen in the main bowl, there are TVs everywhere. You can go to for a pee without missing any of the action!

For one game some fans were moaning because they were planning to have the roof open and they wouldn't feel the benefit of the air conditioning in their seats!

Front row is very close to the action (subs warm up behind the goals) but if you're sat in the top tier, whilst the view is still great, it makes the top of the away stand at Wigan seem flat and at sea level! Not good for anyone who suffers from vertigo although you can get escalators almost right the way up.

I really would recommend a visit to an Atlanta United game. Crowd and atmosphere is fantastic and the tailgate before hand is an absolute must. Pay $10 to one of the supporter groups and get unlimited beer, shots (drinks not the other US past-time) , snacks etc. free!

Park nearby for $10 and even with attendances of 70,000+ they still get everyone on their way after games in hardly no time at all.

The fans being that close to the pitch would actually be annoying, as you can't see all of the pitch unless you are right at the front, or in an upper tier. It would be like the old days of the away end at Bournemouth, where you couldn't see most of the near goal*, and it's probably worse at corners. It's a problem with trying to fit a football pitch into an area designed for NFL. The sightlines are just badly wrong.

I'm also not fond of a high roof. It makes the place almost feel like an indoor venue, and I just don't like those.

That said, if I was in Atlanta, I'd love to go to a game there. I'd just take care about choosing where to sit.

* which is why everyone in the end thought Gilkes had scored there in 93/94, when the ball was actually tapped in by a fan as the shot was going wide. It's also the only time Dean Court will be compared to that stadium in Atlanta.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 16 Jan 2019 19:26

tmesis The fans being that close to the pitch would actually be annoying, as you can't see all of the pitch unless you are right at the front, or in an upper tier. It would be like the old days of the away end at Bournemouth, where you couldn't see most of the near goal*, and it's probably worse at corners. It's a problem with trying to fit a football pitch into an area designed for NFL. The sightlines are just badly wrong.

I'm also not fond of a high roof. It makes the place almost feel like an indoor venue, and I just don't like those.

That said, if I was in Atlanta, I'd love to go to a game there. I'd just take care about choosing where to sit.

* which is why everyone in the end thought Gilkes had scored there in 93/94, when the ball was actually tapped in by a fan as the shot was going wide. It's also the only time Dean Court will be compared to that stadium in Atlanta.

The sight lines are pretty good. Worse behind the goals where you sometimes struggle to see the goal-line at your end and have to rely on the TVs or seeing the net bulge!

It is an indoor venue! It's just they can open up the roof when weather conditions are favourable (it's often too hot/humid and at other times damn wet or cold to have it open).

And I was incensed that the ref didn't allow that goal! I didn't live in the Reading area and media coverage was nowhere near as good back then, so it wasn't until the start of the next season that I learned that there was a very valid reason why he had disallowed it! :lol:

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 16 Jan 2019 20:23

RoyalBlue And I was incensed that the ref didn't allow that goal! I didn't live in the Reading area and media coverage was nowhere near as good back then, so it wasn't until the start of the next season that I learned that there was a very valid reason why he had disallowed it! :lol:

They had highlights on Meridian, but they completely edited the whole incident out.

Apparently even Ceefax had "Gilkes 90" up for a short while.

Duffy

by Duffy » 17 Jan 2019 10:09

I have contacted the club regarding this issue as there are quite a few people in our block who can't read it properly. I will let you know if I get a response and what the response is.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jan 2019 10:11

Duffy I have contacted the club regarding this issue as there are quite a few people in our block who can't read it properly. I will let you know if I get a response and what the response is.

If the club have anything about them they will reply in really tiny, unreadable text.

Duffy

by Duffy » 17 Jan 2019 10:12

Old Man Andrews
Duffy I have contacted the club regarding this issue as there are quite a few people in our block who can't read it properly. I will let you know if I get a response and what the response is.

If the club have anything about them they will reply in really tiny, unreadable text.

Or braille.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Jan 2019 13:58

Duffy
Old Man Andrews

Or braille.
or maybe put your e-mail up on the screen as part of the "Royal Mail" or whatever it's called segment (do they still do that?).

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 23 Jan 2019 02:05

BEST STADIUM EVA!!!! FACT!