Jazz Cafe beer

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Jazz Cafe beer

by tmesis » 30 Jul 2016 10:42

Is it just me, or is the beer served in there consistently rank?

I don't know if it's what they clean the pipes with, but I'll often have a pint, only for it to taste like they added a dash of lime, or something slightly fruity and sweet, that just shouldn't be there.

I took a Guinness back last night as it was undrinkable*, and even the Moretti they swapped it with was as cloudy as apple juice, so that had to be swapped as well. And even that had that slight fruity hint too.

I don't think I've ever known it in any other pub, but in there it's become so regular I think I'll have to switch to bottled beers. They can't bugger those up.

They've upped the prices too, apparently.

* "Guinness is always undrinkable mate" - see? I've made the obvious crap joke so nobody else has to.

Mr.Swainey

Re: Jazz Cafe beer

by Mr.Swainey » 30 Jul 2016 11:19

I'm not sure what you really expect, it's beer served at a football stadium, not a craft ale festival.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 30 Jul 2016 18:11

Mr.Swainey I'm not sure what you really expect, it's beer served at a football stadium, not a craft ale festival.

It's supposed to be a proper bar up there. I'm not complaining about the range. I'm complaining about them ruining what they do serve.

Besides, I've had beer at numerous sports grounds, and never experienced the weird taste I often get from the beer there.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 30 Jul 2016 22:11

tmesis
Mr.Swainey I'm not sure what you really expect, it's beer served at a football stadium, not a craft ale festival.

It's supposed to be a proper bar up there. I'm not complaining about the range. I'm complaining about them ruining what they do serve.

Besides, I've had beer at numerous sports grounds, and never experienced the weird taste I often get from the beer there.

Good idea for a thread, that.

'Worst beer sampled at a sporting venue'

Remember having a pint of Pedigree at Chesterfield years back. It tasted like it had come out of the local pond. Genuinely made me ill for days after.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 31 Jul 2016 13:33

tmesis

The worrying part is the weird taste. Be careful you don't wake up with your y-fronts on the wrong way and a sore bottom.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 01 Aug 2016 07:55

Eh?

It's a Jazz Club within a football ground complex, yea. But they are independent of the football and advertise for music nights, dinner events, dancing and private parties, so I would expect a decent drink in there

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 01 Aug 2016 17:49

bobby1413

Eh?

It's a Jazz Club within a football ground complex, yea. But they are independent of the football and advertise for music nights, dinner events, dancing and private parties, so I would expect a decent drink in there

I'm not sure what you would class as a decent drink. I prefer to savour a few in town before the game and then head on over.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 02 Aug 2016 12:41

Most matches I get to games around midday and drink in the Jazz, I've had a pint of pretty much everything they offer on tap and rarely have I had a dodgy drink, certainly no more frequently than I would expect anywhere else.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 12 Aug 2016 20:43

A very out of date attitude, consumers expect more these days Mr S and if you don't then you're the mug here.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 27 Nov 2016 11:50

Has the management or ownership of the Jazz changed? The reason I ask is that it seems to have really gone downhill of late. Yesterday for instance there was no Theakstones so I reluctantly had a Fosters. Then next round no Fosters so I switched to Amstell. That pint was undrinkable as it had that horrible sickly sweet taste referred to by the OP.
I then made the mistake of eating there. The food choice has become very limited of late and the meatballs I opted for were tepid to verging on cold and later in the day made their presence felt!

I have also noticed that whilst admittance was once restricted to ST holders plus in recent seasons being offered as a benefit of Star membership leaflets handed out around the ground and the boards outside now say that all home fans are welcome. I asked the stewards and they said that their instructions are simply to stop away fans entering although they didn't do a very good job of this yesterday as there were several City intruders.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 27 Nov 2016 13:13

The sooner the club can get the Jazz Cafe bought the better in my opinion.

Turn it into a sports bar too ffs, it doesn't get any oxf*rd than a 'Jazz Cafe'.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 27 Nov 2016 14:07

I'd love to see a big proper sports bar in town. I know there's Walkabout which tbf is quite decent for sports. I love the look of this:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Nov 2016 11:03

bobby1413 I'd love to see a big proper sports bar in town. I know there's Walkabout which tbf is quite decent for sports. I love the look of this:

Sometimes I do think there is a serious lack of this kind of bar in the local area. I have toyed with the idea during drunken business planning.

Walkabout is the only thing that really comes close.

Although, sometimes I don't think that there is the same interest/coverage in multiple sports here as there is in America.

For instance, you have all the college sports going on in America along side the Pro season in multiple seasons, there are at least 3 ice hockey games a day in the states and because of the time differences you will get those games starting at different times.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 28 Nov 2016 12:43

The problem with Sports Bars in the UK is that we rarely have decent mixture of live sports in our timezone. With US they spread it all over the week and have a variety of sports to interest the punters.

Plus we don't seem to embrace the sport here. As soon as FT, everyone walks out the door to go home. :|

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Nov 2016 14:44

Exactly, while I think it is a great idea and something I would like a lot, I just don't think it would work here.

Apart from maybe a Sunday, where you are likley to have all of the below on (plus some otheres like Ice-Hockey/NBA;

Football
F1
NFL
Golf
Rugby

But not everyone is really interested in these and like you said, after the event, people usually just pack up and go home.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 29 Nov 2016 13:45

id happily sit in a pub watching kabaddi and table tennis.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Nov 2016 14:45

Hendo Exactly, while I think it is a great idea and something I would like a lot, I just don't think it would work here.

Apart from maybe a Sunday, where you are likley to have all of the below on (plus some otheres like Ice-Hockey/NBA;

Football
F1
NFL
Golf
Rugby

But not everyone is really interested in these and like you said, after the event, people usually just pack up and go home.

Weekends would take care of themselves - from Friday you can have all the live football on and various other sports. During the week, plenty of games on most nights - either cup or PL, games around Europe. On the few evenings where there aren't any games, you just need to be a bit clever. Show classic games and have theme nights around them. Show Germany 1 England 5 in full with offers on German beer and Schnitzel - that sort of thing.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Nov 2016 15:01

Yeah, I get where you're coming from, I just don't see the demand being there to make it a viable business option.

Maybe only in London? Manchester?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 29 Nov 2016 15:12

I suspect they're equally as bad as each other.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 29 Nov 2016 15:13

Maneki Neko id happily sit in a pub watching kabaddi and table tennis.

I don't know any pubs which have a kabaddi arena and very few have table tennis tables.