New beefeater

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

New beefeater

by WoodleyRoyal » 12 Feb 2019 20:20

Anyone been for pre match drinks? Any reviews? I mean it’s a beefeater so I’m not expecting much.

Does it have a bar separate to the restaurant?

Do they show sky/bt sport?

Is it rammed on a match day or not too bad? Bar queuing times?

Thanks

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New beefeater

by Mid Sussex Royal » 12 Feb 2019 20:58

WoodleyRoyal Anyone been for pre match drinks? Any reviews? I mean it’s a beefeater so I’m not expecting much.

Thanks

Stayed at the Premier Inn above it a few weeks back as had an early start in town; the bar area is tiny... also had door staff (on a Sunday eve) so I'd imagine they are not open to football fans on match day.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 12 Feb 2019 22:50

Not having a pub near the ground is such a huge missed opportunity. You could make a killing - why has no one done it?

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 12 Feb 2019 23:56

Jagermesiter1871 Not having a pub near the ground is such a huge missed opportunity. You could make a killing - why has no one done it?

Because a pub needs trade more than 23 afternoons/evenings a year . . . .

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Feb 2019 08:23

WoodleyRoyal Anyone been for pre match drinks? Any reviews? I mean it’s a beefeater so I’m not expecting much.

Thanks

They don't let football fans in.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Feb 2019 10:04

Elm Park Kid
Jagermesiter1871 Not having a pub near the ground is such a huge missed opportunity. You could make a killing - why has no one done it?

^this, always this.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 13 Feb 2019 11:44

Hendo
Elm Park Kid

^this, always this.

Coupled with rugby games it's most weekends. If its not profitable to open during the week then don't and only open at weekends when games are on. Position it near Kennet island or the new hp development and you'll have a background level of trade.
Last edited by Jagermesiter1871 on 13 Feb 2019 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Feb 2019 11:46

is there a pub on that Kennett Island place? Thought that wouldn't be a bad place in that its close to the ground and would get the locals during the week

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Feb 2019 11:55

Jagermesiter1871
Hendo
Elm Park Kid

^this, always this.

Coupled with rugby games it's most weekends. If its not profitable to open during the week then don't and only open at weekends when games are on. Position it near Kennet island or the new hp development and you'll have a background level of trade.

Oh, I am sure the owners of the property would be happy to pay for the land/building when it isn't open and isn't making any money.

Don't forget the rugby is moving away soon.

Kennet Island wouldn't be a bad shout, but it is still a bit of a walk and wouldn't encourage those coming from the motorway.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 13 Feb 2019 12:40

because youd only make a killing for a couple of hours once every two weeks and only during the football season

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 13 Feb 2019 12:47

Hound is there a pub on that Kennett Island place? Thought that wouldn't be a bad place in that its close to the ground and would get the locals during the week

There was one on there once, but apparently it was pretty awful. Now called Fidget and Bob, all-day café/bar type place. More café than bar I think.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 13 Feb 2019 13:15

Hendo
Jagermesiter1871
Hendo
^this, always this.

Oh, I am sure the owners of the property would be happy to pay for the land/building when it isn't open and isn't making any money.

Don't forget the rugby is moving away soon.

Kennet Island wouldn't be a bad shout, but it is still a bit of a walk and wouldn't encourage those coming from the motorway.

Hang on, its already there though. So it has to be made profitable. If its busy with out football traffic then fair enough. But it would make a killing on the 23 afternoons

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 13 Feb 2019 13:23

I always think that Swansea have got the set up right with some chain pubs/restaurants built on the fringes of the car park that then are profitable during the week and then make a hefty sum on matchdays.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 15 Feb 2019 14:57

There's a pub right next to the football ground at St James' Park, Exeter, right in the middle of the student area, and within walking distance of what must be thousands of households. It was my local when I studied there.

Still manages to struggle.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 16 Feb 2019 09:11

If the right kind of pub / restaurant was built it would surely also make a killing during the week with the businesses in the area :lol: places like the holiday inn are busy at lunch in the week for this reason.

lolwut

by lolwut » 16 Feb 2019 09:24

St Pauli There's a pub right next to the football ground at St James' Park, Exeter, right in the middle of the student area, and within walking distance of what must be thousands of households. It was my local when I studied there.

St anne’s Well? Its only redeeming factor is the 50p pool table. Terrible boozer.

One87One

by One87One » 16 Feb 2019 10:17

Pups aren’t close enough to the stadium, granted. But there are pubs within 10 minutes walk and 20 minutes walk.

Holiday Inn (Callaghan’s?) - 10 mins walk

World Turned Upside Down - 20 mins

Trooper Potts - 23 mins walk

Also the set up outside the East Stand is superb and gets rave reviews from away fans for being able to buy a few pints outside the ground and watch matches on the big screen, as well some music.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 16 Feb 2019 11:07

lolwut
St Pauli There's a pub right next to the football ground at St James' Park, Exeter, right in the middle of the student area, and within walking distance of what must be thousands of households. It was my local when I studied there.

St anne’s Well? Its only redeeming factor is the 50p pool table. Terrible boozer.

It was the Brook Green in my day, and has had various incarnations since. Terrible or not, I think the pub co are screwing the landlords.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2019 13:53

Jagermesiter1871
Hendo
Elm Park Kid

^this, always this.

You can't run a bar for 3 or 4 hours of busy trade a week. Your ordering power for suppliers is small, your drinks options are more limited for stuff that has lower shelf life because it won't last from one weekend to the next.

You've still got all the tax and building overheads even if you only open weekends.

But if you think it's a great prospect give it a shot.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 Feb 2019 14:15

Jazz Club, Hotel Bar, Concourse Bars..... plenty of competition for trade during that 2-3 hours 26 times a year.

For less investment, a pub chain could open a bar in town center and make money from it all year round.

Reading Elm Park might be the answer, If the Thai's go with the mixed housing/leisure complex then there may be a bar in the mix.