New beefeater

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: New beefeater

by RoyalBlue » 18 Feb 2019 19:13

One87One Pups aren’t close enough to the stadium, granted. But there are pubs within 10 minutes walk and 20 minutes walk.

Holiday Inn (Callaghan’s?) - 10 mins walk

The pub part has gone. You now have to use the main hotel bar - very overpriced and you still have to put up with your beer being served in those horrible plastic glasses. Don't get the point of that because if you ask for a glass of wine they serve it in a proper glass, even if you are wearing football colours!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 19 Feb 2019 11:59

Probably more about washing up than safety

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Feb 2019 14:05

Silver Fox Probably more about washing up than safety

No, they are the re-useable perspex type and they only switch to them a couple of hours before kickoff on a football day. Clearly they think wine drinkers don't have a tendency towards violence whereas beer drinkers do!

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 19 Feb 2019 16:24

Hendo
Elm Park Kid
Jagermesiter1871 Not having a pub near the ground is such a huge missed opportunity. You could make a killing - why has no one done it?

Because a pub needs trade more than 23 afternoons/evenings a year . . . .

^this, always this.

I think you'd be surprised.

I was chatting to the former landlord at Jagz, Ascot the other week. They used to make enough in Royal Ascot week to get them through the (otherwise pretty lean) year. They had other racedays of course - but it's actually quite an attractive proposition if done right.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 21 Feb 2019 14:10

Green
Hendo
Elm Park Kid
Because a pub needs trade more than 23 afternoons/evenings a year . . . .

^this, always this.

I think you'd be surprised.

I was chatting to the former landlord at Jagz, Ascot the other week. They used to make enough in Royal Ascot week to get them through the (otherwise pretty lean) year. They had other racedays of course - but it's actually quite an attractive proposition if done right.

The difference is that a pub next to Ascot train station will have a certain level of footfall trade throughout the rest of the year. A pub near the Mad stad would have pretty much zero.

Duffy

by Duffy » 22 Feb 2019 11:01

I think a pub near the Mad Stad would do fine, as long as they did food. You've got the business from offices in Green Park in the week.

One87One

by One87One » 22 Feb 2019 17:54

RoyalBlue

No, they are the re-useable perspex type and they only switch to them a couple of hours before kickoff on a football day. Clearly they think wine drinkers don't have a tendency towards violence whereas beer drinkers do!

They clearly haven’t met my other half!

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 26 Feb 2019 14:30

One87One
RoyalBlue

They clearly haven’t met my other half!

:D

A bit feisty is she, One87One? I know the type.