World Cup 2018

1412 posts
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: World Cup 2018

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jun 2018 17:52

Gylfi a little disappointing today, Nigeria the fitter and stronger team...@ 2-0 evidently

(600 x Icelands population? and the pundits made Iceland favourites :roll: )

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Jun 2018 21:19

Amazing how quickly things change. Serbia absolutely on fire in first half of tonight’s game and all but out of the group now look like least favourites to go through. Really interesting group now. Think Serbia are oxf*rd as don’t see them beating Brazil or Switzerland losing to Costa Rica but anything can happen.

It’s a shame as I think with the players Serbia have they’re a better watch than Switzerland. It really does seem like a balanced team but some awful defending at the end and they can only blame themselves.

Has to be said denied the clearest penalty ever when two players were holding Mitro down. Worse than both of the Tunisia ones together!

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Jun 2018 21:32

Swiss goal celebrations could be seen as somewhat provocative. The bird hands thing across the chest is considered a symbol of Albania and both Xhaka and Shaqiri were being boooood by the Serbian fans due to their heritage

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jun 2018 22:20

Been a pretty sh1t dayfor the ’underdog neutral’.
Lol of the day was Neymars non-penalty (VAR) ......Brazil have lost their charm and have become a bunch of cheating sh1ts in the last three or four WC’s...embarressing stuff Neymar (yet not even a yellow for simulation?)

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 23 Jun 2018 08:54

Just read an article in an Austrian newspaper (in German - so don't complain if you can't read it) that says that this has been one of the most defensive world cups so far with team reverting to 4-6-0 or even 6-4-0 formations .... explains why most of the games (with few exceptions) have been so boring.

One interesting statistic - there have been a record average of 900 passes per game, with only 100 on average in last third of pitch. Sounds like Reading. Also a disproportionate number of goals scored from corners, free-kicks and penalties.

I think this will only get worse once we have 48 teams in the tournament and all the weaker teams play defensive hoping for a goal from a corner or free-kick. Boring, boring, boring.

https://kurier.at/sport/fussball-wm/tre ... /400055690

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Jun 2018 09:04

Agree on the idea that 48 teams will only make it worse, but I’ve actually enjoyed most of the games I’ve watched even if there’s been more 1-0’s or tight games as a result.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 23 Jun 2018 09:28

Hoop Blah Agree on the idea that 48 teams will only make it worse, but I’ve actually enjoyed most of the games I’ve watched even if there’s been more 1-0’s or tight games as a result.

I guess we all look for different things in football - the only games I've truly enjoyed so far is the Spain vs Portugal game ... I thought the 2nd half of the Serbia vs Switzerland game was good yesterday and the first half of England's game ... there have been lots of games I've only watched half-heartedly as it was just pass-pass-pass ... hoof ... pass-pass-pass ... foul ... bad free kick ... pass-pass-pass etc. I always hated tika-taka for this reason and had hoped that after the last WC, it was a thing of the past ...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Jun 2018 11:56

Royalwaster
Hoop Blah Agree on the idea that 48 teams will only make it worse, but I’ve actually enjoyed most of the games I’ve watched even if there’s been more 1-0’s or tight games as a result.

I guess we all look for different things in football - the only games I've truly enjoyed so far is the Spain vs Portugal game ... I thought the 2nd half of the Serbia vs Switzerland game was good yesterday and the first half of England's game ... there have been lots of games I've only watched half-heartedly as it was just pass-pass-pass ... hoof ... pass-pass-pass ... foul ... bad free kick ... pass-pass-pass etc. I always hated tika-taka for this reason and had hoped that after the last WC, it was a thing of the past ...

I think you have unnaturally high standards. The Portugal Spain match was exceptional but if that’s your benchmark for enjoyment then understandably most other games will fall far below that.

I’m with Hoop on this one, I’ve seen almost every game and the vast majority have been at least somewhat entertaining for various reasons - I think VAR and it’s added controversy (ironic) is playing a role in fairness.

I’ve really enjoyed this World Cup so far.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 23 Jun 2018 12:07

I’ve only seen one game all the way through so far - Croatia v Nigeria. What have I missed?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Jun 2018 14:32

CountryRoyal
Royalwaster

I think you have unnaturally high standards. The Portugal Spain match was exceptional but if that’s your benchmark for enjoyment then understandably most other games will fall far below that.

I’m with Hoop on this one, I’ve seen almost every game and the vast majority have been at least somewhat entertaining for various reasons - I think VAR and it’s added controversy (ironic) is playing a role in fairness.

I’ve really enjoyed this World Cup so far.

IN! for this being good world cup. I have watched a fair few games and have enjoyed the majority

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Jun 2018 16:33

Looking forward to suggestions that it’s impossible for a defender to slide in front of an attacker without waving his arm in the air :roll: How Ian Dowie is saying that Mexico penalty was harsh is beyond me

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 23 Jun 2018 16:49

Silver Fox Looking forward to suggestions that it’s impossible for a defender to slide in front of an attacker without waving his arm in the air :roll: How Ian Dowie is saying that Mexico penalty was harsh is beyond me

I thought that too. Pretty fcking clearcut.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 23 Jun 2018 17:20

Really loving this Mexico kit, including the shorts.

Knocks Peru off top spot for me.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Jun 2018 17:42

The handball rule is just so much bullshit.

It needs to be binned in its current form and completely redefined.

So what if the ball hits a hand, I mean really, so fcuking what?

It should only be handball if a player deliberately moves his hand / arm in the way. If they are jumping, sliding in etc. with arms extended then it should not be handball. Same for all teams. Forget the mish mash of the current rules and 90% of the shite controversies and inconsistencies would be removed.

If it means that there are more incidents of ball making contact with the hand / arm, because defenders would no longer have to put their arms behind their backs, would it actually matter? Not a jot in reality.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 23 Jun 2018 17:52

defending freekicks and corners Allardyce style

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jun 2018 18:02

Silver Fox Looking forward to suggestions that it’s impossible for a defender to slide in front of an attacker without waving his arm in the air :roll: How Ian Dowie is saying that Mexico penalty was harsh is beyond me

It's because he is a f*cking idiot.

Hope that explains it pal.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 23 Jun 2018 18:08

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2018 18:20

Royal Rother The handball rule is just so much bullshit.

It needs to be binned in its current form and completely redefined.

So what if the ball hits a hand, I mean really, so fcuking what?

It should only be handball if a player deliberately moves his hand / arm in the way. If they are jumping, sliding in etc. with arms extended then it should not be handball. Same for all teams. Forget the mish mash of the current rules and 90% of the shite controversies and inconsistencies would be removed.

If it means that there are more incidents of ball making contact with the hand / arm, because defenders would no longer have to put their arms behind their backs, would it actually matter? Not a jot in reality.

That's just stupid. Your interpretation allows a player to deliberately position their arm in a way help block the ball's flight, but as long as they didn't move it towards the ball it's not an offence. :| It's just the reverse of saying if it hits a hand or arm it's always handball so attackers will just blast it at defenders' arms.

Defenders don't have to put their arms behind their back as it is. They choose to.

Most of the 'controversies' occur because pundits and fans don't have a clue about the laws and forget the "deliberate" bit.

Has all the local non-league football melted your brain?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Jun 2018 18:51

Goodness me how many pens have been awarded in the group stages so far?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jun 2018 18:55

windermereROYAL Goodness me how many pens have been awarded in the group stages so far?

14 I think.

1412 posts