Wimmins Euro Championship

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Wimmins Euro Championship

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Sep 2016 20:14

England with good qualifying credentials, apparently in with a real shout.

Could this better our 1996 moment?

With crowds on a slow but steady increase......and a few cross-overs with the Hurrell thread.....would you make the effort should we get to the finals?

Reply in a two lettered answer only :|. etc etc hna etc

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

Re: Wimmins Euro Championship

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 15 Sep 2016 23:00

I do follow the Wimmins game a fair amount to the extent that I now get annoyed at various team selections or poor results, which was definitely not happening a few years ago

England look decent but have now got an odd problem of having far too many in-form strikers, to the point where there's now around 10 or so indistinguishable girls with similar scoring records and abilities, which must make picking them an absolute nightmare

With my strange emotional attachment to Fran Kirby I am quite upset she's spent a lot of this season injured, and since then seen her replacements for England bang in various hat-tricks. Carter tonight scored her 2nd international hat-trick in her second cap, and she wasn't even in the squad for the last World Cup :!:

It was frustrating at the World Cup seeing Fran getting wasted out wide to accommodate Duggan (who is actually abysmal, but gets into the squad cos she scores a few belters whenever the BT Sport cameras are on her), so I'm not sure what's going to happen now we've got like 5 or 6 new strikers to pick from. Especially as Fran's not actually playing at the moment.
Last edited by Saaaaaaaammmmmm on 15 Sep 2016 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 15 Sep 2016 23:25

Might be worth mentioning the Reading connection with Wales tonight

They cannot qualify, but beat Israel tonight with our own Helen Ward scoring twice to take her record goal tally up to 41 now

Also, if results go their way tomorrow Scotland will join England at a major tournament for the first time in their history, which would be a great achievement after narrowly missing out on qualification every single year without fail. This comes despite getting thumped 0-4 at home to Iceland, and as the Scots keep reminding us losing to Iceland is very, very embarrassing

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 24 Oct 2016 00:13

England currently in the middle of friendlies against France and Spain, having drawn 0-0 with the French on Friday ahead of a trip to Guadalajara on Tuesday

The main news is that goalkeeper Mary Earps has become only the second Reading player ever to get an England call up (after Fran Kirby), and was on the bench against France

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Oct 2016 22:48

guess that she has had plenty of opportunity to impress this last season etc etc....in all seriousness, that's great news

IceIceGylfi

by IceIceGylfi » 19 Jul 2017 19:39

Spotted a "Tilehurst" flag at the England vs Scotland game

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 27 Jul 2017 20:06

Been watching the whole tournament so far. England have been really impressive, but the group they are in is pretty poor. If we top the group, beating France in the Q/Final will be very tough, despite how bad France have been so far! Pleased to see most of the squad get a run out tonight, especially Laura Bassett. The fact that she is there without having a club after Notts County Ladies folded, is testament to her desire to play for England.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 Jul 2017 19:59

AthleticoSpizz Could this better our 1996 moment?

Out of curiosity, what was our 1996 moment, in 1996?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Jul 2017 20:05

the mens game....the expectation...that occasion in 96 etc

and yes...we ended up winning f11ck all, but it was fun.

And, of course, the post that you are quoting is ten months old :roll:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Aug 2017 20:41

Hope we win.

If it gives us more viewing options, (especially outside of the mens season...and is free to view) who cares?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Aug 2017 20:54

Well done, this is the real England!

Once the mention is made in the press of us winning something.

That's us out in the semis

Reading still have a squad member involved..Mandy Van den Berg....in the finals

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 04 Aug 2017 07:35

We froze. That was our worst performance of the tournament by some distance. The Dutch didn't really outplay us because they didn't have to. We were just awful.

Jim Royal

by Jim Royal » 04 Aug 2017 10:15

I only caught a few milliseconds of the game last night so I'm unable to comment on the overall performance.

The only full game I observed was against Spain. Spain were very technical and I was impressed with them, more so than the Lionesses. The Lionesses lacked technical ability and calmness on the ball. The one thing that was prevalent was their dogged determination though.

It reminded me very much of our senior men's team. Just lacking in that winning mentality, composure and know how to go all the way.

Let's hope our youth sides have picked up valuable experience in the tournaments they've won this year so this doesn't continue as a trend.

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1