LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8640 posts
Vision
Hob Nob Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by Vision » 12 Dec 2018 11:29

Victor Meldrew A good win and a very strong performance.
Some of the inter-passing was quite brilliant, not matched by the finishing, and reliable stalwarts ( a word only ever used in football or a few other sports?) in Henderson and Milner provided the drive from midfield that so many other teams lack, Reading included.

Onwards and upwards with a squad now that has every chance of success this season, whether that be our Premier League or the Champions League-most positions are better covered than all except City here and Barcelona or PSG in Europe.

When talking of managers for RFC I think it is clear that the enthusiasm of a Klopp is worth a few wins per season-these types may be rare but clearly the Cowleys, Nathan Jones, Ainsworth, Tisdale,Warnock and Parky have it even if they surely are lacking in other areas.

Enthusiasm rubs off on players-even moaning Mourinho had that in his early days and contributed to his success-so let us hope that our CEO has that element firmly included in his criteria for our new manager.

Enthusiasm???. Admit it, you really really really want Pardew back don't you ? :wink:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 12 Dec 2018 16:45

Vision
Victor Meldrew A good win and a very strong performance.
Some of the inter-passing was quite brilliant, not matched by the finishing, and reliable stalwarts ( a word only ever used in football or a few other sports?) in Henderson and Milner provided the drive from midfield that so many other teams lack, Reading included.

Onwards and upwards with a squad now that has every chance of success this season, whether that be our Premier League or the Champions League-most positions are better covered than all except City here and Barcelona or PSG in Europe.

When talking of managers for RFC I think it is clear that the enthusiasm of a Klopp is worth a few wins per season-these types may be rare but clearly the Cowleys, Nathan Jones, Ainsworth, Tisdale,Warnock and Parky have it even if they surely are lacking in other areas.

Enthusiasm rubs off on players-even moaning Mourinho had that in his early days and contributed to his success-so let us hope that our CEO has that element firmly included in his criteria for our new manager.

Enthusiasm???. Admit it, you really really really want Pardew back don't you ? :wink:

:D :D
You do have a very long memory m8.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Dec 2018 10:19

BR0B0T always a pleasure!

3 wins in 9

How's this one working out for ya champ?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Dec 2018 12:30

Liverpool v Bayern Munich in last 16.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Dec 2018 12:50

Great news for Liverpool's title chances

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Dec 2018 15:25

Bayern are fairly average this year, so Liverpool will fancy their chances.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Dec 2018 16:45

Is Alisson good?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Dec 2018 08:17

John Smith Is Alisson good?

Yes.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Dec 2018 08:41

Absolutely. I think something worth remembering is how difficuly the Premier League is for a foreign goalkeeper to come into, not matter what their reputation is outside of the UK. Remember David De Gea when he first played here? People were calling him a flop, saying he was a waste of money etc. He eventually adjusted to the physicality and end to end style of play we have and has become arguably the best goalkeeper in the world, Alisson just needs half a season/full season to bed in thats all.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Dec 2018 09:17

Old Man Andrews

Absolutely. I think something worth remembering is how difficuly the Premier League is for a foreign goalkeeper to come into, not matter what their reputation is outside of the UK. Remember David De Gea when he first played here? People were calling him a flop, saying he was a waste of money etc. He eventually adjusted to the physicality and end to end style of play we have and has become arguably the best goalkeeper in the world, Alisson just needs half a season/full season to bed in thats all.

The guy has played well all season bar on absolute calamity at Leicester and a mistake on Sunday that 9 times out of 10 deflects to a defender rather than an opposition player. He hasn't been as good as some of the praise pushed his way (esp. after Napoli) but he has been solid and will only get better. He is also arguably one of the best keepers around with the ball at his feet which is close to vital these days.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 18 Dec 2018 09:29

Considering Liverpool's recent keeper history he's Lev fvcking Yashin

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Dec 2018 09:37

Silver Fox Considering Liverpool's recent keeper history he's Lev fvcking Yashin

They certainly have not had a good track record when it comes to keepers in the modern era.

Karius
Mignolet
Sander Westerveld
Jerzy Dudek
David James
Bruce Grobbelaar

All complete liabilities, some more than others.

Only exception to the rule was Pepe Reina who I thought was excellent in his time at the club.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Dec 2018 10:25

Even then I remember Reina throwing one in in the Merseyside Derby, much like Jordan Pickford the other week and another one where he got sent off for rushing out of his area and hacking someone down near the corner flag.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 18 Dec 2018 12:14

Old Man Andrews
Silver Fox Considering Liverpool's recent keeper history he's Lev fvcking Yashin

They certainly have not had a good track record when it comes to keepers in the modern era.

Karius
Mignolet
Sander Westerveld
Jerzy Dudek
David James
Bruce Grobbelaar

Only exception to the rule was Pepe Reina who I thought was excellent in his time at the club.

Agreed in general, but you've been harsh on Grobbelaar there, he won six league titles and a European Cup at Liverpool. He was a very good shot stopper, but became known for his twice a season complete calamities, where he'd come rushing out of goal and miss the ball entirely, or get tackled.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Dec 2018 12:22

Sanguine
Old Man Andrews

Karius
Mignolet
Sander Westerveld
Jerzy Dudek
David James
Bruce Grobbelaar

Agreed in general, but you've been harsh on Grobbelaar there, he won six league titles and a European Cup at Liverpool. He was a very good shot stopper, but became known for his twice a season complete calamities, where he'd come rushing out of goal and miss the ball entirely, or get tackled.

Grobbelaar was very well protected though by having the best team in world football in front of him though. I did hesitate to put him in to be honest based purely on the success you mentioned. I was kinda thinking about the time near the end of his Liverpool career when he had that awful ponytail, he really was awful then.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 18 Dec 2018 13:16

He was. He got old very suddenly. Can still picture him with his hand round McManaman's throat!

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 19 Dec 2018 12:01

Goalkeepers make mistakes. We remember the mistakes. However, a poor goalkeeper is more likely to concede goals without a clear mistake being made - they start in the wrong position or regularly make poor decisions/late decisions.

There are differences between, for example, Grobelaar losing his athleticism and it showing and David James being fundamentally poor at coping with crosses. Take for example, two FA cup final goals four years apart - they're the same fundamental error in claiming a cross from a set piece.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 27 Dec 2018 10:03

Liverpool just refusing to fcuk this up at the moment, aren't they? What a difference a couple of weeks make - Liverpool's challenge looked on the rails after 95 minutes of the Merseyside derby, since when just about everything has gone right. 8 wins in a row now, conceding just 2 goals.

Football is a funny old game though - surely there has to be a downturn in form around the corner?

Fabinho starting to look like one hell of a signing.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 27 Dec 2018 10:13

Sanguine Liverpool just refusing to fcuk this up at the moment, aren't they? What a difference a couple of weeks make - Liverpool's challenge looked on the rails after 95 minutes of the Merseyside derby, since when just about everything has gone right. 8 wins in a row now, conceding just 2 goals.

Football is a funny old game though - surely there has to be a downturn in form around the corner?

Big test on Saturday.

Other than that they keep disappointing me. Hard not to like the current Liverpool side. Shame the majority of their fans are dickheads

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Dec 2018 16:44

LWJ
Sanguine Liverpool just refusing to fcuk this up at the moment, aren't they? What a difference a couple of weeks make - Liverpool's challenge looked on the rails after 95 minutes of the Merseyside derby, since when just about everything has gone right. 8 wins in a row now, conceding just 2 goals.

Big test on Saturday.

Other than that they keep disappointing me. Hard not to like the current Liverpool side. Shame the majority of their fans are dickheads

Not sure Saturday is a big test , Arsenal at home.
With so many fixtures this time of year I assume you were referring to the game at City next Thursday?
Aren't all fans of all clubs dickheads?

8640 posts