LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8646 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by Hoop Blah » 04 Jan 2019 11:09

What a cracking game though.

Two quality teams going at it at pace and without falling around all over the place and trying to get everyone sent off at any chance. It was a great example of why the Premier League remains the most watchable of leagues.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 04 Jan 2019 11:25

Silver Fox Chances are you'll get to update that to winless in 2 after Monday Bro, I'm very happy for you

thanks m8, just knowing someone is in my corner makes this easier

Why btw? Do you think they'll rest players for the FA cup?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Jan 2019 11:28

Hoop Blah What a cracking game though.

Two quality teams going at it at pace and without falling around all over the place and trying to get everyone sent off at any chance. It was a great example of why the Premier League remains the most watchable of leagues.

Personally I feel that this game was a rarity rather than the norm.
There are too many dreadful games between teams like Cardiff, Huddersfield, Burnley, Everton, Palace, Man Utd (Mourinho's time) etc for me to feel that it is the most watchable.

Generally I prefer the top Spanish games and feel that last night was the exception rather than the rule-am not arguing about the merits of both leagues, just expressing my own preference.

BTW for those that think a team always needs a clearly defined holding midfielder take a look at Fernandhino's performance last night-he is thought to be the CDM in City's side but offers so much more and I always feel that it is unnecessary to have a midfielder with the sole responsibility of defending.
IMHO midfielders should be able to do the lot.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Jan 2019 11:46

BR0B0T
Silver Fox Chances are you'll get to update that to winless in 2 after Monday Bro, I'm very happy for you

thanks m8, just knowing someone is in my corner makes this easier

Why btw? Do you think they'll rest players for the FA cup?

Wouldn't be surprised, it can't be a priority, especially after their failure to get knocked out of the Champion's league

Seeing the billboards at the etihad for their rumbelows Cup semi reminded me that City have got at least those 2 extra games on the way

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Jan 2019 13:39

I think the team might include Mignolet, Clyne, Moreno, Lallana, Sturridge, Origi and if now fit Keita and young Brewster.
Also possibly Milner who could play every day of the week and maybe Henderson who is getting back to full fitness.

I agree with Foxy that this competition is not a season's priority nor will it be for Man City but Man Utd might take it seriously as their only hope of success this season is the FA Cup, with other sides fielding weakened teams, and they do like to try and win the lesser cup competitions and have possibly an easier draw even than City (v Burton)..

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Jan 2019 21:11

A bit surprised that Liverpool have let Nathaniel Clyne go to Bournemouth on loan.
I suppose they see Milner, Matip and Gomez (when all are fit) able to cover the position but even so I always prefer players who are playing in their natural positions.

It was no surprise seeing Solanke leave with Sturridge and Origi ahead of him in the pecking order and young Brewster one day hopefully coming through.
IIRC Liverpool paid little or nothing for Solanke from Chelsea so £19 million (plus add-ons)it is a good financial deal for the club especially as he didn't show enough IMHO when called upon to play those occasional minutes.

Again ,not so long ago broke and using begging bowls locally, AFC Bournemouth have splashed out another nearly £20 million having previously spent over £50 million in the Summer.

Maybe now we will hear less about the wonderful job Eddie Howe is doing ( 2 wins in the last dozen or so games) at such a "little" club
It could be that Callum Wilson will move to replenish the coffers but if that doesn't happen then the majority of the Premier League teams will look on enviously as Bournemouth spend so much more than they do ( most clubs apart from the top six)..
If ever there was a case to prove that attendances no longer mean anything this is it.

Do I sound envious?
Bloody sure I am when looking back at where Reading were just a few years ago and the parlous state we are now in on( and possibly off) the pitch.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Jan 2019 23:07

I’d rather Reading didn’t cheat tbf, although as FFP doesn’t seem to be enforced maybe we should

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 07 Jan 2019 20:39

miLOLner

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 07 Jan 2019 21:14

oROFLigi :wink:

well taken tbf

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Jan 2019 22:14

BR0B0T miLOLner

JeROFLmaine Jenas trying to make excuses for his ex team mate.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 07 Jan 2019 22:32

still without a win in 2019!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jan 2019 07:12

BR0B0T still without a win in 2019!

Got what they deserved really, failed to take the FA Cup seriously and put out a reserve side against a really good Wolves team who were taking it seriously.

Look to have a brilliant prospect in their 16 yr old Dutch centre back though.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Jan 2019 09:48

Bit windy apparently last night. :?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Jan 2019 10:38

Sutekh

Got what they deserved really, failed to take the FA Cup seriously and put out a reserve side against a really good Wolves team who were taking it seriously.

Good on Wolves for taking it seriously.
Shame on those mid-table (ish) clubs that didn't such as:-
Bournemouth
Brighton
Leicester.

None of those are in a relegation spot and surely an FA Cup is worth trying for?
Tempting fate (Leicester :wink: ) but none of those are going to win the Premier League so why not give it a go?

Glad to see that Bournemouth and Leicester were knocked out and Brighton only weren't because they were playing Bournemouth!!

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 08 Jan 2019 12:16

Victor Meldrew
Sutekh

but none of those are going to win the Premier League so why not give it a go?

lol...we're still on for the treble...20 year anniversary with Ole at the wheel

pretty much set in stone tbh tbf!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Jan 2019 13:31

BR0B0T
Victor Meldrew
Sutekh

but none of those are going to win the Premier League so why not give it a go?

lol...we're still on for the treble...20 year anniversary with Ole at the wheel

pretty much set in stone tbh tbf!

Er... treble?
Have they got a team in the Checkatrade trophy?

Would you please not sully this topic with references to the lesser reds-they have their own topic. :wink:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Jan 2019 13:37

I only watched the first 45 last night, but how bad was Sturridge?

He just doesn't fit in with the way they play these days so I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp is trying to get rid of him, especially after that display.

Totally echo VM's thoughts on middling teams not taking the Cup seriously. It just seems daft and it used to annoy the hell out of me when Coppell did the same.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Jan 2019 13:44

Hoop Blah I only watched the first 45 last night, but how bad was Sturridge?

He was, wasn't he. In fact that he kind find a new club says it isn't just Klopp's style that he doesn't suit. The days of a poacher who coasts around doing little else are long gone. His career beginning to look like a poor one, punctuated by a couple of seasons feeding off Suarez's scraps.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Jan 2019 14:21

Sanguine
Hoop Blah I only watched the first 45 last night, but how bad was Sturridge?

He was, wasn't he. In fact that he kind find a new club says it isn't just Klopp's style that he doesn't suit. The days of a poacher who coasts around doing little else are long gone. His career beginning to look like a poor one, punctuated by a couple of seasons feeding off Suarez's scraps.

Agreed-I know he has a lot of injuries but he chickens out of so many challenges and the ball doesn't stick any more when played up to him .
Firminho has been so good by comparison, especially in his team work.

I remeber the roar that greeted Sturridge's arrival as a sub in a game at Maine Road for City when he was their favourite youngster but even then had been injured for some time.

A career of what might have been even though he has a number of International caps and goals and it is difficult to see him getting back to how he was let alone improving.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Jan 2019 16:05

Hoop Blah
Totally echo VM's thoughts on middling teams not taking the Cup seriously. It just seems daft and it used to annoy the hell out of me when Coppell did the same.

Yep bugs the hell out of me.

By the time the FA Cup starts a club like Leicester or Bournemouth know if they are likely to be in relegation trouble or not. The will also only be playing once a week most weeks as they won't have Europe to juggle and are also likely to be out of the League Cup. If they can't put full strength (or close to full strength) in an effort to win an actual trophy than what is the point. Is prioritising finishing 8th over 10th really worth giving up a shot at a trophy.

8646 posts