We're ManchesteROFL United, we do what we want

5762 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: We're ManchesteROFL United, we do what we want

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Feb 2019 08:20

Royal Rother The change in Man Utd under OGS has been remarkable and underlines (if ever it was needed) what an incredibly awful manager Mourinho has become.

Oh, and they are absolutely nailed on for Top 4.

As for Vic’s take on the league table as it stands..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure Mourinho is an awful manager he just isn't a fit for that club. I think he old school approach and ruling by fear would work at certain clubs but not at United.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Feb 2019 08:38

Mourinho is an awful manager, an awful manager of people at the very least, which is why he has never completed more than 3 seasons at any club and, Porto aside, the same pattern has been repeated each time; early success, internal conflict, implosion.

Jurgen Klopp has now heen at Liverpool longer than Mourinho has been at any club.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Feb 2019 08:42

Like I said he is very old school and doesn't know how to deal with the modern player, the United players especially who are full of personality and flair. I think he will go on to be successful again. His approach does still work but only in the right setting. Italy for example, somewhere like Napoli or Milan would be a good fit for him. The style of football suits his management style. Could see him having a crack at the Portugal job after next years Euros too.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 19 Feb 2019 10:39

Interesting and entertaining game last night.
I thought Man Utd deserved to win for the effort that they put in as, presumably, the FA Cup is their main target for this season.

The commentary though was so much from the Man Utd point of view-it was more MUTV than BBC.

I did think it quite amusing that afterwards the pundits were raving about this new free-flowing attacking side.
That may have been the case in some of their more recent league games but last night was a classic Mourinho display:-
33% possession
Few shots on target
Few corners
Take it in turns to kick Hazard
Loads of fouls to break up play

Once again it shows that possession is not the be- all- and -end- all as, for all their possession ,Chelsea produced very few chances-a bit like us and again a bit like us they have weak players in central midfield where Kovacic and Jorghino were easily outmuscled.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Feb 2019 17:12

Old Man Andrews Like I said he is very old school and doesn't know how to deal with the modern player, the United players especially who are full of personality and flair. I think he will go on to be successful again. His approach does still work but only in the right setting. Italy for example, somewhere like Napoli or Milan would be a good fit for him. The style of football suits his management style. Could see him having a crack at the Portugal job after next years Euros too.

He was at Inter for 3 years and despite winning trophies, they hated him. He was seen as too negative and too devisive and, surprise, surprise, he alienated half the playing squad and coaching staff. He's been like that for 15 years and at every club bar Porto where he genuinely was Billy Big Bollocks.

He has a collosal ego and big clubs not only expect to win things, they expect to do it in a particular style. They won't touch him any more. He'll end up in China.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2019 18:23

He's been finished since at least he went back to Chelsea. It's just a question of how much money he can make from how many idiots based purely on his name before he's left out in the cold like the tramp he's started to resemble.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Feb 2019 18:41

genome
Hoop Blah
genome
I'm surprised you can call a bloke who got Cardiff relegated, spent a record amount the following summer and got sacked when they were 17th in the Championship as a "safe pair of hands" for one of the biggest football clubs on the planet

Horses for courses. Managing a basket case club like Cardiff at the time (Vincent Tan/Malkay Mackay times of course) isn't really a guide to handling United, albeit at a time when they're not the most stable or well oiled machine. Conversely he has a 55% win rate at Molde and took them to back to back titles in his first spell (I think they'd nearly got relegated the season before he took over).

He's safe in that he knows the club inside out, will have a certain amount of backing as a recent club legend, and has had some decent success as a manager (unlike Giggs or Carrick).

Comparatively speaking Man Utd are a basket case right now as well. It's a dressing room full of egos that have no real connection to the club (unlike the squad Ole was a part of back in the day) apart from Rashford and Lingard. Ole, by some accounts from Cardiff fans, was utterly useless.

Also I don't think a 55% win rate in the Norwegian Premier League should have any bearing on managing a club like Manchester United.

:lol: @ me

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 24 Feb 2019 13:31

Three key players out for United...Matic, Lingard, Martial

If Mata starts on the right, just give Liverpool the three points

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Feb 2019 13:49

Watched the game without commentary (was at Wembley) and I think both sides were glad to get the game out of the way.
Interesting seeing highlights on Match of the Day-Shearer and Gullit were scathing about Liverpool's performance which I thought was a bit OTT-a point in any of these games is fine even if Liverpool lacked a bit of sparkle.

Incidentally It looked like another Mourinho performance from Man Utd-33% possession at home, trying to score on the break and a defender getting Man of the Match.
It worked at Chelsea so I presume it was the same tactic yesterday.

BY the way, the overhyped football offered by our top Premier League teams was hardly the exciting product that the TV people were hoping for yesterday on Super Sunday when teams were all more frightened of losing than wanting to win.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 25 Feb 2019 17:31

Game was pretty shite. Was on a plane for the second half, genuinely amazed when I checked the score and saw it was a draw

Think both Utd and Liverpool have good first eleven's but no depth in the squad

United without Matic, Martial, Lingard, Rashford*, Herrera (starting 11) and Mata.

lot of names in the squad who are mostly shite...Fred, Lukkaku, Sanchez, Jones

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 27 Feb 2019 22:37

Give Ole the job now...

- 9 wins out of 11 league games (29 points out of 33)
- 3 wins in the FA Cup (inc Arsenal & Chelsea)
- 1 loss to PSG in the CL

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Feb 2019 08:27

They really should give OGS the job now, he has done more than enough. With good investment in the summer they could really challenge next season.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 28 Feb 2019 11:29

would LOL if they don't give it to him and bring in some 'big name' instead who flops

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 28 Feb 2019 12:34

Winston Biscuit would LOL if they don't give it to him and bring in some 'big name' instead who flops

Zidane.

It would be utterly criminal if they did not give it to OGS. I know it is early but next season, with the right signings, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 28 Feb 2019 12:36

The Enfield Royal71 next season, with the right signings, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

^very Liverpooly type statement there

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Feb 2019 13:07

There's no point announcing him permanently now, he's got United players looking hungry and playing with a point to prove, let them continue doing that and announce him in the summer

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 28 Feb 2019 14:52

Yeah, he'll take the job whether its offered to him now or in May. They're best off waiting to see whether they finish top four or not and who else is available at the end of the season. S'Alex is perfectly capable of offering them advice on which players they ought to be looking at signing/letting go until something permanent it sorted out. Otherwise it could all go a bit Di Matteo for them and they'll be looking for a new manager again in December.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Feb 2019 15:22

genome There's no point announcing him permanently now, he's got United players looking hungry and playing with a point to prove, let them continue doing that and announce him in the summer

Would've thought this is the most likely outcome.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if they have told him that finish in the top 4 and the job is his.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 02 Mar 2019 20:45

First of LOLs but wtf is Bertrand thinking here...

if he does this to anyone else on the pitch it'd prolly be a red

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Mar 2019 11:47

"Big clubs get the big decisions in their favour" is often spouted by fans of the little clubs.

Saints might feel a bit miffed that they didn't get at least one penalty yesterday.

When is a ref going to notice that Smalling spends most of the game trying to claim the opponent's shirt rather than waiting for the game to finish? :wink: .

5762 posts