Youtube - Football related spare thread

314 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Youtube - Football related spare thread

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Feb 2017 21:15

The original link was filmed on a mobile phone by 2 supporters in the stand who decided to wind him up when he headed their way.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 18 Feb 2017 15:08

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Feb 2017 14:12

This ever so mildly photoshopped Times Official "Wembley Winners" photo ahead of the League Cup final.

:lol:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Mar 2017 12:31

Not football but had me chuckling. Venezuelan skier who had only trained on wheeled skis races on snow for the first time, at the world cross-country championships.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... -the-eagle

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 02 Mar 2017 12:47

Sanguine Not football but had me chuckling. Venezuelan skier who had only trained on wheeled skis races on snow for the first time, at the world cross-country championships.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... -the-eagle

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Mar 2017 15:22

That's the start line behind him. :lol:

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 02 Mar 2017 15:57

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 02 Mar 2017 16:01

it's good, but I raise you Marion Rolland, the favourite for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, about to start her downhill run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sojVIA624GA

French ftw. However there is a happy ending. She went on to become world champion

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 12 Mar 2017 10:57

I went to a match in Saigon, Vietnam a couple of weeks back, but I wish I'd gone to the match at the same stadium a week earlier. I saw a run-of-the-mill 1-0 win for Ho Chi Minh City, but the previous week's game ended 5-2, with goals 3, 4 & 5 for the home side all coming in injury time, and in comedy fashion.

Ho Chi Minh City were awarded a dubious injury time penalty against the bottom club, Long An, and they decided to protest by not bothering to compete for the rest of the game. This included the penalty kick, for which the keeper turned his back and faced the crowd.

With the team just standing and letting HCMC walk through unchallenged, the keeper then does a somersault rather than attempting a save. From the next kick off, again unchallenged, the keeper just walks off into midfield, to allow HCMC an empty net tap-in for 5-2.

Spin on to the 3 minute mark, for where it goes a bit weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdk0uYui3eQ

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 13 Mar 2017 13:39

lol at the forward roll.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 14 Mar 2017 11:15

Anthony van den Borre article, as he's now at TP Mazembe

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... anderlecht

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Mar 2017 09:51

“I’ve always dreamed of playing for Mazembe”

Said no-one ever.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Mar 2017 18:52

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 20 Mar 2017 20:06

That really doesn't surprise me. Tim Sherwood has always come across as a horrible little runt whenever I've seen and heard him on TV. He's in the same category as paolo di canio

markmetcalf

by markmetcalf » 21 Mar 2017 09:55

Winston Smith Bloke on Talksport yesterday discussing a book he has written on Fred Spiksley. Spiksley was the most famous player in the country in the late 1800's/early 1900's, scored a hat-trick on his England debut against Wales, then another hat-trick on his 2nd appearance against Scotland, was considered to be the best player in the country by some distance and became a big celeb. ended up being mates with Charlie Chaplin and would appear on stage with him at his shows. Went on to travel the world as a football coach, was coaching in Germany when war broke out and was arrested there and subsequently escaped. Was also a big drinker, gambler, went bankrupt, and was always at the races. died at Goodwood races on Ladies Day.

sounds like a proper #lad and is one of them 'how is this not more well known?' kind of stories,

Here is the review of the Fred Spiksley book from When Saturday Comes - anyone in London on evening of 19 May can come along to Southwark brewing Company and find out more about Fred. The images we've got are oldest in world from a Cup Final and International goals

Flying over an Olive Grove
The remarkable story of Fred Spiksley
By Clive Nicholson, Ralph Nicholson and Mark Metcalf
Red Axe Books, £19.99

Review by Paul Brown

A contemporary of Steve Bloomer, John Goodall and William “Fatty” Foulke, Fred Spiksley was one of the most famous footballers of the late-Victorian era, even if his name (often misspelt, during his career and beyond) is not as well-known today. The England and Sheffield Wednesday outside-left scored more than 300 career goals, and won every major honour available to him – the British Home Championship twice with England, and the Football League and the FA Cup with Wednesday.
Spiksley scored a hat-trick on his England debut, against Wales in 1893, and (contrary to official records disputed by the authors of this book) scored another hat-trick on his second England appearance, against Scotland a fortnight later. Spiksley also scored both goals in Wednesday’s cup final win in 1896. The authors have determined that Spiksley’s first cup final goal was the fastest-ever, scored within 20 seconds of the kick-off, five seconds quicker than the official record-holder Louis Saha.
Such efforts to reclaim Spiksley’s achievements indicate the level of research that has gone into this handsome independent publication, which was clearly a labour of love. Clive Nicholson is Spiksley’s great, great nephew. Along with his father Ralph and the football writer Mark Metcalf, he has produced an absorbing biography of a man who was once “the most talked-about footballer in the game”. If Spiksley has since been overshadowed by other Victorian footballers it is perhaps because, like the subjects of most worthwhile football biographies, he was a flawed character.
Spiksley’s key attributes were skill and pace. He was known to play the heavy ball with the outside of his feet, which the authors note was a rare technique at the time. He was also extraordinarily quick – probably the fastest player in the league. His direct style made him a fans’ favourite in what was perhaps the greatest-ever Wednesday side. (The book’s title refers to Wednesday’s Olive Grove ground, where the club played from 1887 until 1899.)
Away from football, Spiksley used his great pace to successfully compete in sprint challenges, claiming prize money and bet winnings. As the book reveals, Spiksley’s fondness for betting would become a problem. He was particularly keen on horse racing, and became addicted to gambling, sometimes missing training to attend race meets. He also appeared in court on charges of illegal bookmaking. Perhaps inevitably, he gambled away all of his money and was declared bankrupt. He was also a womaniser, causing his marriage to fall apart. The acrimonious details of his divorce were reported in newspapers alongside tales of his financial woes, tarnishing his once-great reputation.
In addition to off-field distractions, Spiksley was troubled during the latter part of his career by a serious knee problem that required him to wear a support and blunted his pace. Released by Wednesday, he played briefly for Glossop, Leeds City, Southern United and Watford, before becoming a notably innovative coach. He worked in Europe and the Americas, wrote coaching manuals, and made training films utilising pioneering slow-motion technology. He coached in Sweden, with AIK and the Swedish national team, then in Germany, Spain, Switzerland, Mexico and Peru.
The eclectic latter period of his career makes for fascinating reading. Spiksley was coaching in Germany during the outbreak of the First World War, and narrowly avoided being imprisoned in the Ruhleben internment camp alongside Steve Bloomer and other famous former footballers. He also had a year-long dalliance with the theatre, treading the boards in popular stage show The Football Match. Once again, Spiksley was overshadowed by more famous names. His co-stars included the hugely-popular music hall comedian Harry Weldon – and a rising young performer named Charlie Chaplin.

www.spiksley.com

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 22 Mar 2017 12:41

cheers.

A rather nice little read from the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/football/th ... dnfootball

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 24 Oct 2017 08:42

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 Oct 2017 14:53

sputnik this penalty has everything

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41728826

I might (probably) have this wrong, but I thought in a shoot-out that as soon as the ball was 'off-target', it was dead, specifically that this goal shouldn't stand. In the same way for example, I thought if the shot hits the post and cannons back in off the keeper, again it was no goal.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 25 Oct 2017 06:13

Sanguine

I might (probably) have this wrong, but I thought in a shoot-out that as soon as the ball was 'off-target', it was dead, specifically that this goal shouldn't stand. In the same way for example, I thought if the shot hits the post and cannons back in off the keeper, again it was no goal.

I think it stands as neither the taker or keeper touched it after it smashed the cross bar, the spin took it back in, just the same as it clattering the post and then going in (without hitting the keeper) would stand.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 Oct 2017 12:19

10539.4 Miles Away
Sanguine

I think it stands as neither the taker or keeper touched it after it smashed the cross bar, the spin took it back in, just the same as it clattering the post and then going in (without hitting the keeper) would stand.

The official rule is the ref decides when the penalty is "dead" so it does count

314 posts