VAR

1731 posts
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: VAR

by BR0B0T » 22 May 2018 20:02

Sanguine https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/22/zlatan-ibrahimovic-sent-slapping-opponent-face-following-var/

Good example of VAR working well, in the MLS - referee finds Michael Petrasso and Zlatan on the floor clutching various parts of their anatomy after a coming together, reviews the video and sees Zlatan slap his opponent in the face, earning a red card.

I'd have sent them both off for being fag's tbh

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 May 2018 08:55

BR0B0T
Sanguine https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/22/zlatan-ibrahimovic-sent-slapping-opponent-face-following-var/

Good example of VAR working well, in the MLS - referee finds Michael Petrasso and Zlatan on the floor clutching various parts of their anatomy after a coming together, reviews the video and sees Zlatan slap his opponent in the face, earning a red card.

I'd have sent them both off for being fag's tbh

Should be embarrassing for all involved really. If VAR eventually stops this kind of theatricals then it'll be big feather in it's cap.

The slap is pathetic though, in some ways I'd appeal it, arguing that something that weak can't be seen as violent!

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 16 Jun 2018 12:22

So after that total non pen and total dive, can we now agree that VAR can FUKK OFF?

Using it like that footy is now a 100% contact free sport. Was always going to go this way

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 16 Jun 2018 12:23

Dive?

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 16 Jun 2018 12:24

Now a second VAR and utterly needless review.

Shall we just get rid if refs and let Brobot write an AI to do everything

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 16 Jun 2018 12:25

Silver Fox Dive?

Yes, he was already diving and going down before that slight contact with the toe of his trailing foot

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 16 Jun 2018 12:28

Your seeing things fella

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 16 Jun 2018 12:35

Silver Fox Your seeing things fella

Clearly

I saw no contact with the front leg, and Griezeman starting to go down and leave his trailing leg out for contact (with a player making no extra motion) and his foot got touched

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jun 2018 16:46

John Madejski's Wallet

Clearly

I saw no contact with the front leg, and Griezeman starting to go down and leave his trailing leg out for contact (with a player making no extra motion) and his foot got touched

You're having a 'mare on this JMW. I'm all for being biased against France, and was certain it was a dive and great tackle in real time, but VAR was pretty darn conclusive it was a pen.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 16 Jun 2018 16:51

Snowflake Royal
John Madejski's Wallet

Clearly

You're having a 'mare on this JMW. I'm all for being biased against France, and was certain it was a dive and great tackle in real time, but VAR was pretty darn conclusive it was a pen.

yeah what Ian said

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 16 Jun 2018 18:16

Hold my hands up

Interesting that VAR is going to bring up all the pffffft pens. Had that not been given last year and we'd have gone through so many angles to find the contact, most would have shrugged about that not being given.

I think from now on we're gong to see more people going down easy under any contact at all (is that even possible?)

.....on a similar note, can i also have a LOL at the pundits/ex players for that Peru pen saying "you can tell it was a pen as there was no reason for him to go down" LOL you fukking what :lol: :lol: :lol:

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 16 Jun 2018 18:19

On the peru front, how harsh would it be if Denmark has scored before the VAR whispered in the ref's ear he got it previous decision wrong? How far back are things supposed to go?

I'm still confused when VAR is and isn't used.....

Clattenburg specifically said that once the ref allowed play to carry on, he couldn't refer to VAR (i.e. the not given argie one)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Jun 2018 18:42

John Madejski's Wallet On the peru front, how harsh would it be if Denmark has scored before the VAR whispered in the ref's ear he got it previous decision wrong? How far back are things supposed to go?

I'm still confused when VAR is and isn't used.....

Clattenburg specifically said that once the ref allowed play to carry on, he couldn't refer to VAR (i.e. the not given argie one)

Yet the ref of the Peru game allowed play to continue....

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 16 Jun 2018 18:49

'zactly, until someone whispered in his ear

They were adamant that the ref in the argie game couldn't go to VAR as he'd allowed play to continue.........is it because in the peru game play didn't actually stop and then the ref looked at it once there was a break? I assume so

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 16 Jun 2018 18:51

The Argie one went out for a goal kick so once he allowed play to restart the ref couldn’t go back whereas the Peru one the ball didn’t go dead, who knows how long they have to look at it mind you? Certainly none of the commentators

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 16 Jun 2018 18:59

Silver Fox The Argie one went out for a goal kick so once he allowed play to restart the ref couldn’t go back whereas the Peru one the ball didn’t go dead, who knows how long they have to look at it mind you? Certainly none of the commentators

Yeah guessed that was the case, but as you say, how long does it go on for?

I can see lots of quick free kicks taken so the ref can't change he mind when they whisper in his ear :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jun 2018 21:39

John Madejski's Wallet
Silver Fox The Argie one went out for a goal kick so once he allowed play to restart the ref couldn’t go back whereas the Peru one the ball didn’t go dead, who knows how long they have to look at it mind you? Certainly none of the commentators

Yeah guessed that was the case, but as you say, how long does it go on for?

I can see lots of quick free kicks taken so the ref can't change he mind when they whisper in his ear :wink:

I don';t get the how long does it go on for point. It didn't take long at all. How often do you get an incident in a penalty area with a goal inside 20 seconds at the other end? It's not often is it. I'm not even sure it took 20 seconds either.

So far, VAR has called two penalties that wouldn't otherwise have been given, confirmed a bunch of goals shouldn't be ruled out and missed one penalty that should have been given but wasn't. For my money, that's a significant net improvement for very little delay or confusion.

The implementation at the world cup seems a lot better than the FA Cup managed.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jun 2018 08:03

Utterly fail to see point of this ridiculous technology. All it does is confuse people with FIFA telling officials not to flag for any doubtful offsides and things happening with the ref making his “instant decision” and play continuing. Then the ref stops play (which I didn’t think they were meant to do) draws a box in the air and goes to at a screen containing 9 different camera angles all of which usually show that the “incident” in question could be interpreted as an “offence” or not an “offence”.

So, in essence, rather than the ref making an instant decision rightly or wrongly, he now gets to stop play, think about it and then make a decision rightly or wrongly. Therefore all that’s happened is the game gets stopped unnecessarily while it takes longer to establish the same controversial decisions that we’d all have if this technology wasn’t there.

What next with this I wonder? Perhaps asking refs to take more time and discuss with a panel of experts in the stands? Well at least that will enable FIFA to better sell the game to US broadcasters as they’ll at last be able to squeeze ad breaks in.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 Jun 2018 20:41

Anyone running to the referee screaming and shouting and mimicking a tv box shape should be immediately booked!!!!

Mr. Pharmacist

by Mr. Pharmacist » 25 Jun 2018 16:12

paultheroyal Anyone running to the referee screaming and shouting and mimicking a tv box shape should be immediately booked!!!!

Sent off more like.

1731 posts