Re: The Football League Thread 18/19

by Kulshaw72RFC » 01 Oct 2018 13:52

John Smith :D :D very good

8) :wink:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Oct 2018 10:09

National League shaping up to be anyone's this season. Teams in 1st and 3rd (Salford and Harrogate) are in their first season at this level, whilst Solihull Moors in 5th only got promoted two years ago, and their best finish is 16th.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Oct 2018 10:16

Sanguine National League shaping up to be anyone's this season. Teams in 1st and 3rd (Salford and Harrogate) are in their first season at this level, whilst Solihull Moors in 5th only got promoted two years ago, and their best finish is 16th.

Yeah I have been keeping an eye on it. Can't see Salford blowing this if they are still up there by Christmas, they'll surely just invest more in January if they know promotion to the Football League is on the cards.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Oct 2018 10:47

Old Man Andrews
Sanguine National League shaping up to be anyone's this season. Teams in 1st and 3rd (Salford and Harrogate) are in their first season at this level, whilst Solihull Moors in 5th only got promoted two years ago, and their best finish is 16th.

Yeah I have been keeping an eye on it. Can't see Salford blowing this if they are still up there by Christmas, they'll surely just invest more in January if they know promotion to the Football League is on the cards.

Move to Non-League Thread :arrow:

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 04 Oct 2018 11:01

Probably goes here. They're non-league now, but because of 1997, they're not. Right?

Been idly reading this:

https://jogamagazine.wordpress.com/2018 ... n-england/

about Chesterfield.

This gem popped up.

Relations with the fans had now sunk to an all-time low as the club was caught in an embarrassing scandal. It had become clear that in pre-season when the club ran a competition where the winner would have a ticket to one of Chesterfield’s pre-season friendlies held abroad, that the announced winner had been entirely made up. Yep, the club just made up the winner. None of the fans who entered ever stood a chance of winning.

Spectacular.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Oct 2018 16:34

stealthpapes Probably goes here. They're non-league now, but because of 1997, they're not. Right?

Been idly reading this:

https://jogamagazine.wordpress.com/2018 ... n-england/

about Chesterfield.

This gem popped up.

Relations with the fans had now sunk to an all-time low as the club was caught in an embarrassing scandal. It had become clear that in pre-season when the club ran a competition where the winner would have a ticket to one of Chesterfield’s pre-season friendlies held abroad, that the announced winner had been entirely made up. Yep, the club just made up the winner. None of the fans who entered ever stood a chance of winning.

Spectacular.

Carson, who was tipped off by a supporter who had “concerns” about the competition, for which tickets cost £20, added: “Chesterfield Football Club apologises unreservedly to the four supporters who entered the competition.”

:lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nner-farce

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 09 Oct 2018 11:07

lol.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 10 Oct 2018 13:02

The fall out up here was as spectacular as it was hilarious.....planned protests (but only the local newspaper reporter turned up), sackings, players being asked about competitions rather than games.....

However, the state the club is in now is less amusing. I really would not be surprised if they got relegated again this year. Mad Dog’s honeymoon is truly over (heard that before....) and he is barely hanging on to his job......

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 10 Oct 2018 13:16

planned protests (but only the local newspaper reporter turned up)

lol.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Oct 2018 14:41

Old Man Andrews .

Old Man Andrews, who goes from League 2 this season?

Surely Morecambe have outstayed their welcome? Cambridge are looking very poor so far...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2018 14:44

John Smith
Old Man Andrews .

Surely Morecambe have outstayed their welcome? Cambridge are looking very poor so far...

I think Morcambe will definitely go for sure. No budget at all and they are a non-league club in all reality. They have done really well with what they have but time is up. I think Macclesfield will go too.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Oct 2018 15:06

Old Man Andrews
John Smith
Old Man Andrews .

I think Morcambe will definitely go for sure. No budget at all and they are a non-league club in all reality. They have done really well with what they have but time is up. I think Macclesfield will go too.

Thanks mate. Forgot about Macclesfield, they've looked hopeless this season and really shows the step up to League 2 is a chasm in terms of quality.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Oct 2018 15:07

Rui Faria 'rejects Villa'.

Does this open the door for Dean Smith?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2018 15:09

John Smith Rui Faria 'rejects Villa'.

By the sounds of it Villa want a big name in charge, not sure Dean Smith fits the bill. He is in a very low pressure job at Brentford too, depends how ambitious he is really. I think if Villa run out of high profile candidates they will go to him.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 10 Oct 2018 16:45

John Smith
Old Man Andrews .

Morecombe will. Macclesfield too. If they go down, their managers must go.

Who do you think will go up? I think Forest Green and Executor Fc.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 10 Oct 2018 16:46

Old Man Andrews
John Smith Rui Faria 'rejects Villa'.

By the sounds of it Villa want a big name in charge, not sure Dean Smith fits the bill. He is in a very low pressure job at Brentford too, depends how ambitious he is really. I think if Villa run out of high profile candidates they will go to him.

I think Dean Smith WILL GO

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Oct 2018 17:07

Kulshaw72RFC
John Smith
Old Man Andrews .

Morecombe will. Macclesfield too. If they go down, their managers must go.

Who do you think will go up? I think Forest Green and Executor Fc.

I think it's about time Exeter go up. Forest Green won't. I wouldn't write off MK Dons but Lincoln have started well. Col U have good home form as well

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Oct 2018 11:21

Old Man Andrews .

Old Man Andrews, who goes from the Championship this season?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Oct 2018 11:26

John Smith
Old Man Andrews .

This is a tough one as Rotherham and Wigan (two of my preseason relegation picks have had good starts.

I would say it will be Rotherham, Bolton and Ipswich who will go. Ipswich will pay the price for thinking they can do better than Mick McCarthy. Their supporters made a huge error in forcing him out.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Oct 2018 11:29

Old Man Andrews
John Smith
Old Man Andrews .

This is a tough one as Rotherham and Wigan (two of my preseason relegation picks have had good starts.

I would say it will be Rotherham, Bolton and Ipswich who will go. Ipswich will pay the price for thinking they can do better than Mick McCarthy. Their supporters made a huge error in forcing him out.

Not sure Rotherham having 11 points is really a good start, although I'd be delighted to be in double figures at this point.