Sunderland Netflix documentary

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Sunderland Netflix documentary

by CountryRoyal » 20 Dec 2018 03:42

Binged this yesterday after I got back from holiday and thought it was pretty good. Was quite enjoying it knowing how how it all turned out for them up until the point where I noticed disturbing similarities between them and us....

Anyway, (spoiler alert?) interesting bit relating to us, apparently we almost sold Mendes to them on deadline day but the deal fell through - I don’t remember hearing about that at the time?

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Sunderland Netflix documentary

by Ark Royal » 21 Dec 2018 15:11

My immediate reaction was Lee Cattermole is the oldest thirty-year old I have ever seen. Mrs Ark asked what Sunderland is like and I replied that it was like the worst toilet in Scotland scene from Trainspotting, only in England.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Dec 2018 20:35

About to start watching it now...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Dec 2018 21:17

Enjoyed it a lot so far

Sunderland looks bloody horrible

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 27 Dec 2018 10:17

Yeah, this is a good watch, although only two episodes in. Grayson coming across as the David Brent of football. I read that the chief exec at the time, David Bain, has got a lot of stick for his role in this series, but I like him. I think people looking for him more to foster the links between the city and the club are ignoring what a total mess the club was in when he started his role.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Dec 2018 11:22

I don't want to spoil it for anyone but Sunderland ended up getting relegated at the end.

In all seriousness I think Chris Coleman should be given another chance at a club who aren't a complete train wreck. Wouldn't have been against that chance being with Reading if im honest.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 27 Dec 2018 13:02

Yep, he did a good job at Fulham, a passable one at Coventry City whilst the club was a total shambles, and was great in the Wales job. Given the likes of Lambert, Moyes, Pardew, Hughes etc get endless chances, I've been surprised Coleman's name is rarely mentioned.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Dec 2018 13:35

Isn’t Coleman raking in a shed load of cash in China or the Middle East?

Clubs would have to pay a lot of money to get him in (unless I’m dreaming up his current employment).

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 28 Dec 2018 10:52

Didn't Sunderland also do a fly-on-the-wall documentary about 15 years ago, which also covered a season where they got relegated?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Jan 2019 10:16

Watched this and the similarities are very apparent with us now. I think Coleman was very unlucky but it seemed to hinge largely on the lack of a striker after Grabban left (who seems like a total tosser). If that's an indication of what the window is like in Jan then we are going to struggle to bring in effective names.

Also, Sunderland fans are crazy and deluded and think they're team is massive. Bloke at the start begins by saying how "this isn't Watford" - does he realise they're a consistently mid-table Premier League side?

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1