The generic transfer thread

10373 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The generic transfer thread

by Sutekh » 31 May 2018 12:27

John Terry being linked with a move to Derby County.

Well at least that'll make it easier for Reading to re-sign Alex Pearce.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 31 May 2018 15:37

ManUtd looking to sign Marko Arnautovic from West Ham ... was watching him at Austria vs Russia game last night and Marko was best player on the pitch. Would really hate this to happen as I love Arnie and hate Mourinho and ManUtd ...

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 Jun 2018 10:39

Historical transfer news - I have been watching some of the (great) football documentaries over the past week on the History Channel and last night was on Maradona.

I had no idea that Sunderland tried to buy him when he was 17 years old. Maradona was desperate to join them too, he is quoted as saying 'if they don't sell me to Sunderland, I'm retiring'. The military dictatorship in Argentina at the time wouldn't allow it though.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 02 Jun 2018 11:49

Didn't Sheffield United come close to signing him too, but wouldn't stump up the cash.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jun 2018 13:28

They ended up with the more affordable Alex Sabella instead.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jun 2018 09:54

Winston Biscuit Historical transfer news - I have been watching some of the (great) football documentaries over the past week on the History Channel and last night was on Maradona.

I had no idea that Sunderland tried to buy him when he was 17 years old. Maradona was desperate to join them too, he is quoted as saying 'if they don't sell me to Sunderland, I'm retiring'. The military dictatorship in Argentina at the time wouldn't allow it though.

Yep, all international transfers for Argentinian players were banned in the run up to the 1978 World Cup to ensure all players were readily available to the national coach.

Only exception I believe was Mario Kempes who had already moved to Valencia before the ban was implemented.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jun 2018 10:20

Winston Biscuit Historical transfer news - I have been watching some of the (great) football documentaries over the past week on the History Channel and last night was on Maradona.

He'd probably get a game for them now to be fair.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Jun 2018 13:53

Old Man Andrews

He'd probably get a game for them now to be fair.

...and then we'd sign him after in a few seasons' time

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Jun 2018 14:38

Awesome stuff.

Who was the player Blackburn famously nearly signed, but didn't?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Jun 2018 14:58

Sanguine

Awesome stuff.

Blackburn tried to sign Zidane in 1995 but Jack Walker stopped it and said 'Why do you want to sign Zidane when we have Tim Sherwood?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Jun 2018 15:02

Winston Biscuit
Sanguine

Awesome stuff.

Blackburn tried to sign Zidane in 1995 but Jack Walker stopped it and said 'Why do you want to sign Zidane when we have Tim Sherwood?

Wasn't actually that one, although it's equally brilliant. The one I half remembered was Lewandowski - a deal was agreed with Poznan but his flight to sign the deal was cancelled owing to the Icelandic volcanic ash cloud. Dortmund stepped in, and the rest is history.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 04 Jun 2018 15:19

I've got a Maradona doc on DVD. In pure Eurotrash style, all of the Argentinians are dubbed by comedy northerners. Brilliant.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 05 Jun 2018 13:18

Wilshere to West Ham?
So Jack Wilshere has reportedly rejected a new 3 year deal at Arsenal. He’s also removed Arsenal from his insta and twitter bio and follows West Ham on Twitter...

https://twitter.com/SpencerOwen/status/ ... 4955481088

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jun 2018 13:26

Uke Wilshere to West Ham?
So Jack Wilshere has reportedly rejected a new 3 year deal at Arsenal. He’s also removed Arsenal from his insta and twitter bio and follows West Ham on Twitter...

https://twitter.com/SpencerOwen/status/ ... 4955481088

Excellent move. We can now have both him and Mark Noble moaning together about not getting a chance for England.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Jun 2018 13:41

Arsenal reportedly in talks with Marouane Fellaini

lolz

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Jun 2018 14:51

Sutekh Well at least that'll make it easier for Reading to re-sign Alex Pearce.

The stuff of the worst nightmares.

Hands down the worst footballer ever to appear in Reading shirt. Dross.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 05 Jun 2018 20:34

Benik Afobe joined Wolves for £10M 4 days ago. He is in advanced talks with Stoke today over a £12M transfer from Wolves.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Jun 2018 00:04

John Smith
Sutekh Well at least that'll make it easier for Reading to re-sign Alex Pearce.

The stuff of the worst nightmares.

Hands down the worst footballer ever to appear in Reading shirt. Dross.

Captained us to a league title. 8)

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Jun 2018 08:20

Wolves reportedly offer €40M for Valencia right back Jaoa Cancelo.

Portuguese you say? Wolves you say? I wonder who his agent is....

they are also expected to complete an €20M transfer of Rui Patricio in the next few days. It's an odd one as he handed in his resignation later the other day and now says he has no club, but Sporting Lisbon say he is their player.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Jun 2018 08:28

Winston Biscuit Wolves reportedly offer €40M for Valencia right back Jaoa Cancelo.

Portuguese you say? Wolves you say? I wonder who his agent is....

they are also expected to complete an €20M transfer of Rui Patricio in the next few days. It's an odd one as he handed in his resignation later the other day and now says he has no club, but Sporting Lisbon say he is their player.

There is absolutely NOTHING dodgy going on at Wolves. They are doing EVERYTHING above board and are in no way a vehicle for Jorge Mendes to launder money and avoid tax.

10373 posts