Summer Rebuild 2016/2017

375 posts
RoyalJones

Re: Summer Rebuild 2016/2017

by RoyalJones » 04 Jan 2017 17:23

Hound If we don't sell anyone, this window is a tough one to call.

Ideally we'd get a centre back for cover, but not sure who would move to us solely to cover McShane and Moore who have been generally a very good pairing.

Midfield and Wing looks well covered, RB and LB are covered, though I agree only Obita looks good in that left wing back position if we play 5 at the back.

Up front, Kermie is doing a fine job currently and unless we suddenly have funds and are able to pull off a real coup and get someone proven of say Tammy Abraham/Hogan standard, I'm not sure that you'd be able to pick someone up to do a better job.

Bargain basement hunting in overseas leagues may find a gem if we are lucky, you'd prob only be looking at making an impact in the last couple of months of the season. Rakels and Samuel are probably likely to offer as much as someone new to the league.

We could bring in Obita/a new player at left back and have Blackett as back up at centre back I guess. I agree on the Kermorgant, and the wingers point.

This is an extract from my article to say why i'm a little concerned with our advanced midfield options:
"However, in the more advanced position of centre midfield, first team options are looking a little thin. John Swift has been our star man in midfield this season, but he picked up an injury whilst on international duty and we clearly miss his attacking presence when he is not on the pitch. Danny Williams is another attacking player that we have in midfield but he is likely to leave in the summer with his contract slowly running down. Stephen Quinn hasn’t featured this season due to a recurring knee injury and this has meant our attacking options in midfield have been limited. Josh Barrett featured for Reading at the climax of last season and he looked promising but hasn’t been given an opportunity to perform in the first team thus far in this campaign. Andy Rinomhota is another option but he is very inexperienced".

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2017 19:04

Yes, some valid points certainly - but Liam Kelly has come through, Quinn hopefully will be back and Beerens did ok in a sort of advanced mid role, so wouldn't be overly concerned

Obviously if someone of real quality becomes available you'd snap them up but expect those players will be in short supply. Did think Lansbury would be a good option but already his price seems to be spiralling

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Jan 2017 10:32

Playing devil's advocate but didn't we start scoring more goals with Swift out of the team?

lewesroyal

by lewesroyal » 05 Jan 2017 14:14

From Despair To Where? Playing devil's advocate but didn't we start scoring more goals with Swift out of the team?

ooh, controversial!!

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 05 Jan 2017 14:25

RoyalJones

Ideally we'd get a centre back for cover, but not sure who would move to us solely to cover McShane and Moore who have been generally a very good pairing.

Midfield and Wing looks well covered, RB and LB are covered, though I agree only Obita looks good in that left wing back position if we play 5 at the back.

Up front, Kermie is doing a fine job currently and unless we suddenly have funds and are able to pull off a real coup and get someone proven of say Tammy Abraham/Hogan standard, I'm not sure that you'd be able to pick someone up to do a better job.

Bargain basement hunting in overseas leagues may find a gem if we are lucky, you'd prob only be looking at making an impact in the last couple of months of the season. Rakels and Samuel are probably likely to offer as much as someone new to the league.

We could bring in Obita/a new player at left back and have Blackett as back up at centre back I guess. I agree on the Kermorgant, and the wingers point.

This is an extract from my article to say why i'm a little concerned with our advanced midfield options:
"However, in the more advanced position of centre midfield, first team options are looking a little thin. John Swift has been our star man in midfield this season, but he picked up an injury whilst on international duty and we clearly miss his attacking presence when he is not on the pitch. Danny Williams is another attacking player that we have in midfield but he is likely to leave in the summer with his contract slowly running down. Stephen Quinn hasn’t featured this season due to a recurring knee injury and this has meant our attacking options in midfield have been limited. Josh Barrett featured for Reading at the climax of last season and he looked promising but hasn’t been given an opportunity to perform in the first team thus far in this campaign. Andy Rinomhota is another option but he is very inexperienced".

So you're concerned that we don't have enough despite the fact that Barrett who impressed can't get a game?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jan 2017 14:38

RoyalJones

Not concerned by the numbers of "advanced" midfield options at all. As long as any 2 from Kelly, Williams and Swift are available we should be OK. That's not to say though that we shouldn't improve the options that we do have if the opportunities arise.

Is Jordon Mutch more of an attacking or defensive option in midfield?

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 05 Jan 2017 14:49

Would be more than happy for the club to offload Mendes, Weiser & Gravenburch in this window

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 14 Jan 2017 12:27

With the takeover on the rocks, I don't see us signing any players now in this window, especially after look at our finances

The Informant

by The Informant » 14 Jan 2017 12:51

LoyalRoyal22 Would be more than happy for the club to offload Mendes, Weiser & Gravenburch in this window

Three fantastic signings by our Roy who seems to think he's god.

Only signings that have jind if worked out are the British signings.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Jan 2017 20:35

The Informant
LoyalRoyal22 Would be more than happy for the club to offload Mendes, Weiser & Gravenburch in this window

I still think VDB and Beerens have been good signings. It's not VDB's fault he keeps getting played at CB and for all of Beerens' shortcomings, I'd still rather see him on the wing than HRK.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 15 Jan 2017 07:20

CountryRoyal
The Informant

I still think VDB and Beerens have been good signings. It's not VDB's fault he keeps getting played at CB and for all of Beerens' shortcomings, I'd still rather see him on the wing than HRK.

:shock:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Jan 2017 09:52

Royality creeps In
CountryRoyal
The Informant

:shock:

:roll:

Have a word with yourself. You can look as shocked as you like but our record with VDB in midfield speaks for itself, and the latter claim was more an attest to my dislike of HRK than any specific qualities of Beerens.

Maybe I should have used the word decent instead of good but are you honestly trying to tell me both signings would constitute having "not worked out"?

Just because a signing doesn't turn out to be amazing doesn't mean they haven't worked out. It's a spectrum and I think those two are on the better side of it, if only just.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Jan 2017 19:51

Beerens 24 appearances, 4 goals, 1 assist
HRK last season 26 (3) appearances, 1 goal, 1 assist

I'll take Beerens ta.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Jan 2017 20:27

Ian Royal Beerens 24 appearances, 4 goals, 1 assist
HRK last season 26 (3) appearances, 1 goal, 1 assist

I'll take Beerens ta.

Already scored same amount of goals as McCleary in his debut championship season (though he had a lot more assists admittedly).

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 19 Jan 2017 13:03

have to agree- merely making up numbers

375 posts