Players you'd like us to sign thread

741 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Players you'd like us to sign thread

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2019 07:46

muirinho
Snowflake Royal Getting seriously worried by our business. Young big shot not proved anythings on loan in positions we don't need more numbers. Suggests there's no money either.

Why does it suggest we have no money? Seeing as we don't know what division we'll be in next season, getting in permanent players on big contracts (because why else would they sign up), would be rash. Splashing cash can wait till the summer.

We've tried the experienced player route (Meyler, Edwards, O Shea etc), without it going terribly well.

Picking up young players on loan who have something to prove has merit.

We're also less than a third of the way in - plenty time for more options to turn up.

Chill.

I see nothing to suggest Baker or Ejaria will be better than Meyler / Edwards / O'Shea. They're all players who have been poor at their last club and haven't been up to it. Just three are in the twilight of their career going quickly downhilland two have failed to deliver on Academy potential.

I'd rather see Barrett, Frost and Holsgrove given another chance if we really need yet more mediocre midfielders on top of Ezatolahi, Rinomhota, Meyler, Kelly, Swift, Bacuna, Aluko and Loader who've all been played there.

These two simply have to block Loader which is bad IMO. He's not quite there and I think he'd benefit from a break, but he's mostly played as No 10 and isn't ready to lead the line solo.

And for those arguing that maybe Ejaria is here to play wing... Well I'm not impressed with getting another flakey midfielder without a proper position and playing him as a winger. Round pegs in round holes please.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Jan 2019 08:17

Snowflake Royal
muirinho
Snowflake Royal Getting seriously worried by our business. Young big shot not proved anythings on loan in positions we don't need more numbers. Suggests there's no money either.

Why does it suggest we have no money? Seeing as we don't know what division we'll be in next season, getting in permanent players on big contracts (because why else would they sign up), would be rash. Splashing cash can wait till the summer.

We've tried the experienced player route (Meyler, Edwards, O Shea etc), without it going terribly well.

Picking up young players on loan who have something to prove has merit.

We're also less than a third of the way in - plenty time for more options to turn up.

Chill.

I see nothing to suggest Baker or Ejaria will be better than Meyler / Edwards / O'Shea. They're all players who have been poor at their last club and haven't been up to it. Just three are in the twilight of their career going quickly downhilland two have failed to deliver on Academy potential.

I'd rather see Barrett, Frost and Holsgrove given another chance if we really need yet more mediocre midfielders on top of Ezatolahi, Rinomhota, Meyler, Kelly, Swift, Bacuna, Aluko and Loader who've all been played there.

These two simply have to block Loader which is bad IMO. He's not quite there and I think he'd benefit from a break, but he's mostly played as No 10 and isn't ready to lead the line solo.

And for those arguing that maybe Ejaria is here to play wing... Well I'm not impressed with getting another flakey midfielder without a proper position and playing him as a winger. Round pegs in round holes please.

You really need to take a few breaths.
You haven’t seen the two lads play,you know little or noth8ng about them but have taken on board the few comments that have been made and accepted them as fact.
It’s wrong to say Lewis hasn’t delivered - 15 goals in 64 games in the Erdivisie ?
It comes across that you actually WANT them to fail (although I’m sure you don’t )
Suggesting we use the likes of Barrett (repeatedly failed on loan at levels way below the new lads) or Holsgrove (barely played this season due to injury) is crazy. I am all for using our youngsters (we should be using Legg/Southwood and McIntyre/Osho ahead of new signings but that has to be on merit not sentiment.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2019 09:11

have to bear in mind that the two new lads are completely different players to Meyler, Edwards and O Shea.

If Gomes is going to go full on passing and possession, the likes of the 3 mentioned are completely unsuitable for the system. In theory, bth Baker and Ejaria are totally suited to it, and have been given the perfect platform to display their talents. Neither Boro under Pulis, Sunderland or Leeds (to a lesser extent) were really playing to a suitable style for them. Ejaria's spell at Rangers was by no means a failure, they would have happily kept him and playing in the first team

We're also a town that is geographically and culturally ideal for them.

It does seem that finally we have a definite identity in place and are signing players to fit it. Im assuming if we are after Perreira, he is comfortable with the ball at his feet, to also fit the style.

Now whether going for this system in our predicament is going to bring success is highly debatable. Personally I think we'll continue to concede stupid goals and struggle to create enough chances unless we bring in a different type of striker/winger

But at least we seem to have a clear joined up plan in place, rather that the scattergun approach of recent times.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Jan 2019 19:35

I see that Sam Gallagher has returned to Southampton.
It might be a case of waiting till the near end of the transfer window because Austin is suspended and Gabbiadini has gone.
I expect Saints to be in the market for possibly 2 strikers so he might be allowed to leave.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Jan 2019 07:42

Would be surprised if Southampton loaned us another player after Sims.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Jan 2019 07:46

Eddie Nketiah on loan. He's supposed to be pretty good right? I know Arsenal have that whole Welbeck situation so might not want to loan out strikers but I just can't think of any others available for loan...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jan 2019 12:47

NewCorkSeth Eddie Nketiah on loan. He's supposed to be pretty good right? I know Arsenal have that whole Welbeck situation so might not want to loan out strikers but I just can't think of any others available for loan...

possible, but very young to be thrown into a relegation battle.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Jan 2019 13:35

Hound
NewCorkSeth Eddie Nketiah on loan. He's supposed to be pretty good right? I know Arsenal have that whole Welbeck situation so might not want to loan out strikers but I just can't think of any others available for loan...

Looked very shaky against Blackpool in the FA Cup. Looked every bit a youth player and certainly not ready for a Championship relegation battle as Hound eluded to.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Jan 2019 13:52

I'd still be happy to see Matthew Connolly come in as a decent addition at centre half, IF he's still fit and up for it as he's not played for quite a while at Cardiff.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 16 Jan 2019 16:10

Hoop Blah I'd still be happy to see Matthew Connolly come in as a decent addition at centre half, IF he's still fit and up for it as he's not played for quite a while at Cardiff.

Think hes gone to Hull...and back on the subject Nelson Oliveira is still kicking his heels at Norwich...one thing is for sure..he will have a full tank having been hardly used this season..loan til end of season then review..

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Jan 2019 16:27

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hoop Blah I'd still be happy to see Matthew Connolly come in as a decent addition at centre half, IF he's still fit and up for it as he's not played for quite a while at Cardiff.

Think hes gone to Hull...and back on the subject Nelson Oliveira is still kicking his heels at Norwich...one thing is for sure..he will have a full tank having been hardly used this season..loan til end of season then review..

Ah yeah, although it seems to have been put on hold whilst Cardiff wait on Sean Morrisons fitness.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Jan 2019 17:17

Old Man Andrews
Hound

Looked very shaky against Blackpool in the FA Cup. Looked every bit a youth player and certainly not ready for a Championship relegation battle as Hound eluded to.

Fair enough. I've only seen him play once and he had a touch of the "Chuba Akpoms" about him.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Jan 2019 13:09

Hound We're also a town that is geographically and culturally ideal for them.

Agree with that. They'll be all over long walks on the Ridgeway and the Anglo-Saxon skeleton in Reading Museum.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 22 Jan 2019 11:31

I just saw that Ashley Cole has joined Derby.

I know people are going to disagree - but that's exactly the sort of signing we should have made. If he's fit enough for Derby for half a season then he would have been a excellent cover at left-back until Obita returns.

He might have also added some confidence in the back four and brought a bit of hype to the club - like when Roberts joined.

I appreciate though that it's unlikely we were ever going to get him given Lampard's ties, but that's the sort of player we want at left-back now.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Jan 2019 11:40

Elm Park Kid I just saw that Ashley Cole has joined Derby.

I know people are going to disagree - but that's exactly the sort of signing we should have made. If he's fit enough for Derby for half a season then he would have been a excellent cover at left-back until Obita returns.

He might have also added some confidence in the back four and brought a bit of hype to the club - like when Roberts joined.

I appreciate though that it's unlikely we were ever going to get him given Lampard's ties, but that's the sort of player we want at left-back now.

He's 38, people would've moaned. Wages might've been a problem as well.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jan 2019 11:42

Hendo

Would have been worth it for a few months purely for the help he could have given Omar Richards.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Jan 2019 11:44

If you mean a left back then you’re right. If you mean an aged expensive player in the twilight of his career looking to link up with his mate for a doddle and a pay check you’re absolutely wrong.

Also Roberts wasn’t a success because he “brought a hype factor” he was a success because of his on field contribution and the important goals he scored.

After people condoned signing crap like Meyler and O’Shea for their “off the pitch” influence, leadership etc I’d rather we actually try and sign players that can’t help us in a football match.

Don’t get me wrong Cole would still be an upgrade on Richards sure, but I’m more talking generally in terms of the type of signing.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 22 Jan 2019 12:10

CountryRoyal

If you mean a left back then you’re right. If you mean an aged expensive player in the twilight of his career looking to link up with his mate for a doddle and a pay check you’re absolutely wrong.

Also Roberts wasn’t a success because he “brought a hype factor” he was a success because of his on field contribution and the important goals he scored.

After people condoned signing crap like Meyler and O’Shea for their “off the pitch” influence, leadership etc I’d rather we actually try and sign players that can’t help us in a football match.

Don’t get me wrong Cole would still be an upgrade on Richards sure, but I’m more talking generally in terms of the type of signing.

Well if Lampard is just giving a friend a paycheck then the Derby management are being very generous. But i'm talking on the basis that Derby consider him a viable championship player.

Generally speaking i'm against bringing in aged 'glamour' players - O'Shea was such a wasteful signing. But as we have a very specific (and hopefully temporary) problem at left-back then I would be perfectly happy paying inflated wages for half a season to bring in someone with great experience.

Of course Roberts was genuine quality, but most people agree that he also changed the atmosphere at the club and increased our belief that we were good enough to go up.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Jan 2019 12:14

Elm Park Kid
CountryRoyal

Well if Lampard is just giving a friend a paycheck then the Derby management are being very generous. But i'm talking on the basis that Derby consider him a viable championship player.

Generally speaking i'm against bringing in aged 'glamour' players - O'Shea was such a wasteful signing. But as we have a very specific (and hopefully temporary) problem at left-back then I would be perfectly happy paying inflated wages for half a season to bring in someone with great experience.

Of course Roberts was genuine quality, but most people agree that he also changed the atmosphere at the club and increased our belief that we were good enough to go up.

There was a bit of a feel good optimism that we hadn't had previously when Anton initially came in. We finally had money (or at least thought we did) which could take us to the next level and push on when Madejski had so often reiterated he could and would not. Keeping hold of Kebe, and potentially a "big name" signing in Roberts may have contributed to a feel good factor, but at the end of the day that's very secondary to actually being decent where it matters.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 22 Jan 2019 12:40

Hendo

we tried that before ala Wayne Bridge didn't work out well

741 posts