Rumour - Jack Colback

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Rumour - Jack Colback

by LightwaterRoyal » 19 Dec 2017 21:05

@TalkReading
Reading are keen on signing Newcastle midfielder Jack Colback who is available on a free transfer or on loan. [TEAMtalk] #readingfc

TiagoIlori

Re: Rumour - Jack Colback

by TiagoIlori » 20 Dec 2017 02:59

A lot of people say how good our midfield depth is but it’s really not that good, Colback would be good backup for that reason. Just hope we go abroad and buy some exciting players, we have been absolutely awful considering the amount we’ve spent

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 20 Dec 2017 08:13

Could we also be after Ben Woodburn on loan from Liverpool given our Welsh connection??

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 20 Dec 2017 08:25

TiagoIlori Colback would be good backup

Colback would walk into our team

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Dec 2017 08:26

paddy20 Could we also be after Ben Woodburn on loan from Liverpool given our Welsh connection??

No, he's not a midfielder...

....oh hang on Grabban wasn't a midfielder either but that's where he got played.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Dec 2017 08:37

Woodburn is a winger isn't he? Not really an area we are short on, though he does look good. Colback - maybe, though Evans is back fit, so don't really see the need.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Dec 2017 09:02

72 bus
TiagoIlori Colback would be good backup

Colback would walk into our team

Yes he would. I'd take him and offload David Edwards

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Dec 2017 09:32

Hound Colback - maybe, though Evans is back fit, so don't really see the need.

Colback is much better than Evans. I'd take him and offload or loan the midfielders we don't need or won't get a game - Quinn, Wieser, and maybe loan out Clement, Barrett etc.

A midfield of Swift, Kelly, Bacuna, JVDB, Edwards, Evans and Colback would be really strong. The competition for places would be good.

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 20 Dec 2017 09:33

If we're talking of wingers, which we weren't, then I'd offload McCleary and bring Popa in from the cold before we sign anyone else ..

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Dec 2017 09:51

Would be a very good addition to the team. Especially if he is available on a free.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Dec 2017 10:02

currently on 40k+ a week and more than likely going to Sunderland.

I wouldn't be unhappy if he signed, but don't think he will, and would rather put the cash for wages towards a decent striker

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 20 Dec 2017 13:09

He can play at left back.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Dec 2017 14:27

Doesn't he make a buttload of fouls? Would have hoped JVDB and Edwards covered our fouling midfielders between them. Although we could do with another ginger.. Its 50/50 for me but if hes on the reported 35k a week I doubt he will come here (although some Newcastle website claims hes on 70k a week :shock: )

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 20 Dec 2017 14:31

Firstly we need to off load some of the dead wood, McCleary is also past his best and i also think Popa is a really dangerous player and should be pushing for a start. We also need that 20 goal striker that we've been missing for years now and i also think our defense needs changing around. Ilori either needs an extended run in the team to prove his worth, or if he's not good enough then get rid, i also think McShane is past his best, and maybe if someone was to pay $10 + Mil for liam moore then i would probably take that as well.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Dec 2017 14:43

Crowbar6753 Firstly we need to off load some of the dead wood, McCleary is also past his best and i also think Popa is a really dangerous player and should be pushing for a start. We also need that 20 goal striker that we've been missing for years now and i also think our defense needs changing around. Ilori either needs an extended run in the team to prove his worth, or if he's not good enough then get rid, i also think McShane is past his best, and maybe if someone was to pay $10 + Mil for liam moore then i would probably take that as well.

So get rid of the players you deem not good enough and also sell our best players? Great idea. Lets have no players.

If we sell Moore, Ilori and "get rid" of McShane how long do you think it would take any potential CB signings to gel? A season? More? Thats a strategy for relegation buddy.

McCleary may well be past his best but to state that now is a bit premature. He was poor but he came back from some pretty bad injuries. Popa on his best day isn't worth half a McCleary on his.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to do the eye roll when reading "20 goal striker". It is honestly the most annoying thing to read.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Dec 2017 14:59

NewCorkSeth
Crowbar6753 Firstly we need to off load some of the dead wood, McCleary is also past his best and i also think Popa is a really dangerous player and should be pushing for a start. We also need that 20 goal striker that we've been missing for years now and i also think our defense needs changing around. Ilori either needs an extended run in the team to prove his worth, or if he's not good enough then get rid, i also think McShane is past his best, and maybe if someone was to pay $10 + Mil for liam moore then i would probably take that as well.

So get rid of the players you deem not good enough and also sell our best players? Great idea. Lets have no players.

If we sell Moore, Ilori and "get rid" of McShane how long do you think it would take any potential CB signings to gel? A season? More? Thats a strategy for relegation buddy.

McCleary may well be past his best but to state that now is a bit premature. He was poor but he came back from some pretty bad injuries. Popa on his best day isn't worth half a McCleary on his.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to do the eye roll when reading "20 goal striker". It is honestly the most annoying thing to read.

Ha yeah. Esp when Yann got 19 last year

Agree also on McCleary. He has had a bad year, but he was arguably our best player first part of last season. Lets see how he is when he is fully fit

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Dec 2017 15:06

NewCorkSeth

+1 to the max.

In the last 20 seasons we have had a total of 4, 20 league goal strikers. 2 of them Curo & Butler coming in the same season.

Trevor Morely - 96/97
Jamie Cureton - 00/01
Martin Butler - 00/01
Shane Long - 10/11

There should be no magical number that a striker needs to get throughout a season. It isn't the be-all and end-all thing people make it out to be.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 20 Dec 2017 15:38

NewCorkSeth

Ok, its early morning so maybe this was worded through tired eyes, lol. I said 20+ striker as that would be great, but a pacey striker with an eye for goal :D and if he gets 20 goals then thats a bonus. Regarding McCleary, i really think his best is past him and with the number of wingers in the squad it would be wise to trim the wage bill and maybe get a decent amount for him whilst we still can, i really dont see him replacing Aluko in the side to his must be an expensive bit part player and Popa is a great impact sub and i guess a cheaper option.
And finally the defense, i didnt mean lose all three, but any one of them could be replaced, McShane is past his best, Ilori needs a run to prove his worth and even though Moore is amazing and our best player by far, a $10 million offer would be had to turn down and if it allowed us to invest in other players then should really be considered. :D

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 20 Dec 2017 15:44

Colback - more of a red card waiting to happen than VdB (although the latter has looked slightly less prone in recent weeks.)

Workmanlike ginger and just another Quinn .....

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Dec 2017 08:40

Dick Habbin's hairdo Colback - more of a red card waiting to happen than VdB (although the latter has looked slightly less prone in recent weeks.)

37 yellows and 1 red in 179 Premier League appearances would suggest otherwise.