Who could replace Stam?

603 posts
Linden Jones' Tash

Re: Who could replace Stam?

by Linden Jones' Tash » 02 Mar 2018 21:08

Hendo Poisoned chalice? Lol.

One bad season does not make this job a poisoned chalice.

Also, it certainly worked for Newcastle when they appointed Alan Sheerer :?

Just for clarification, I didn't say the job was a poisoned chalice, I said the role I was describing was - ie a short term appointment til the end of the season to avoid relegation. Mostly reputational damage, little upside.

Assuming we stay up, and Stam has gone by the summer, whoever takes over has a great opportunity, for all the reasons stated.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 03 Mar 2018 03:21

Arsne Wenger, three years deal

elm1988

by elm1988 » 03 Mar 2018 23:13

I like stam, I don't think we would regret keeping him regardless of what happens. A more astute choice would be to relieve the director of his position. Poor signings and no experience, bring back Hammond!

bagman

by bagman » 04 Mar 2018 12:38

NH sure to leave WBA when Pardew fired. Would be a great idea, but I doubt Gourley would want somebody like him back in the fold.

Biscuitman62

by Biscuitman62 » 04 Mar 2018 16:46

Nigel Pearson

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 05 Mar 2018 14:03

Roy Keane - May be viewed as a gamble but I think it could work. Looking for an opportunity to get back into management beyond his assistant role and has experience at this level of being successful at this level as well as slugging it out at the other end. We need his ambitious no nonsense mentality around the club as well as hunger for success that he would have given that he hasn't managed for a while.

I also think the Irish link would be great to have back at the club in terms of fanbase as well as getting some Irish players in and around the place again beyond what we have.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Mar 2018 14:50

bracksroyal10 Roy Keane - May be viewed as a gamble but I think it could work. Looking for an opportunity to get back into management beyond his assistant role and has experience at this level of being successful at this level as well as slugging it out at the other end. We need his ambitious no nonsense mentality around the club as well as hunger for success that he would have given that he hasn't managed for a while.

I also think the Irish link would be great to have back at the club in terms of fanbase as well as getting some Irish players in and around the place again beyond what we have.

Not sure where the line is between "no-nonsense mentality" and "downright abusive". I think he works well with Ireland, as you've got MON there to calm him down and build players up after he's torn them to shreds - not so sure how well it would work with him on his own. Also, the player contact in the Ireland role is limited, they're not having to deal with him week after week.

He comes across as intolerant of failure to match his own standards - but he was one of the best players in the PL, not a decent championship player. It's tempting to think he'd give the players the kick up the backside they need, but eventually relentless criticism takes its toll.
He also has little respect for team spirit and togetherness - the team are there to make him succeed, not vice versa.

Might well work short term, but long term I think it would be a damaging appointment.

If we were going for an Irish manager, I'd far prefer Stephen Kenny. He's done wonders with Dundalk.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 05 Mar 2018 17:18

muirinho
bracksroyal10 Roy Keane - May be viewed as a gamble but I think it could work. Looking for an opportunity to get back into management beyond his assistant role and has experience at this level of being successful at this level as well as slugging it out at the other end. We need his ambitious no nonsense mentality around the club as well as hunger for success that he would have given that he hasn't managed for a while.

Not sure where the line is between "no-nonsense mentality" and "downright abusive". I think he works well with Ireland, as you've got MON there to calm him down and build players up after he's torn them to shreds - not so sure how well it would work with him on his own. Also, the player contact in the Ireland role is limited, they're not having to deal with him week after week.

He comes across as intolerant of failure to match his own standards - but he was one of the best players in the PL, not a decent championship player. It's tempting to think he'd give the players the kick up the backside they need, but eventually relentless criticism takes its toll.
He also has little respect for team spirit and togetherness - the team are there to make him succeed, not vice versa.

Might well work short term, but long term I think it would be a damaging appointment.

If we were going for an Irish manager, I'd far prefer Stephen Kenny. He's done wonders with Dundalk.

It is a gamble, but I generally believe he could be a success here, we need someone here who will set an expected standard across the club and I think he would greatly help with that. Sometimes I do wonder where ideally we are wanting to head as a club so maybe it is down to the board and being more specific in where we want to be by X amount of years and what we should be achieving as a minimum.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Mar 2018 20:12

Proven failed manager who no longer even gets manager jobs and is a total arsehole nutcase. Er.. no ta. I'll stick thanks.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 05 Mar 2018 20:41

Snowflake Royal Proven failed manager who no longer will even get manager jobs and is a total arsehole and nutcase. Er.. no ta. I'll stick thanks.

Anyone in particular you were referring to, Ian? :wink:

Neil Warnock
Gary Monk
Mick McCarthy
Ron Atkinson
Harry Rednapp
Nigel Adkins
Arsene Wenger
Yann Kermorgant
Alan Pardew
Nigel Pearson
Roy Keane

Impressive list so far, tbf :shock:

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 06 Mar 2018 18:56

I thought Ian and Denver were the same person.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 06 Mar 2018 22:23

Awayawayaway I thought Ian and Denver were the same person.

Still trolling? Under a different username, of course.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 06 Mar 2018 22:26

I like him

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Mar 2018 22:56

Denver Royal
Awayawayaway I thought Ian and Denver were the same person.

Still trolling? Under a different username, of course.

That sounds like something I'd say.

:?
Shut up me. :evil:

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 07 Mar 2018 14:00

If we were looking at a realistic option, I think Gareth Ainsworth could also be a great fit for this club, he may feel after a potential promotion with Wycombe it is time to test himself at Championship level. I know Barnsley were interested in him a few weeks ago.

Used to working on a tight budget and getting the best out of what he has in the squad, certainly if it was the Reading way we were talking about he would fit the profile.

Finally I think he is based not too far from Hogwood/Madejski too!

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 07 Mar 2018 14:58

bracksroyal10 If we were looking at a realistic option, I think Gareth Ainsworth could also be a great fit for this club, he may feel after a potential promotion with Wycombe it is time to test himself at Championship level. I know Barnsley were interested in him a few weeks ago.

Used to working on a tight budget and getting the best out of what he has in the squad, certainly if it was the Reading way we were talking about he would fit the profile.

Finally I think he is based not too far from Hogwood/Madejski too!

Only if he brings the Beast with him... :twisted:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Mar 2018 19:12

Might as well bring Tyson too

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 08 Mar 2018 13:45

Harpers So Solid Crew Arsne Wenger, three years deal

id rather have stam