Summer Transfers

567 posts
maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Summer Transfers

by maffff » 22 Jun 2018 12:48

Zwolle gave declared their interest this window, but WCBAP for them.

If Clement wants him gone, we might retain some financial burden this year and let him leave at no cost.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Jun 2018 09:29

I want Henri Lansbury

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jun 2018 19:25

Always struck me as an inconsistent show pony and considering he's on £40,000 a week at Villa, I'd rather go for Albert Adomah, who's better and cheaper.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 25 Jun 2018 16:21

Interview with Paul Clement on Instagram here

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Bkc6LHCnXDU/

Couple of points relating to transfers
(1) He talked about trying to get in some attacking players "in the next few days and weeks" - sounded as if we're done defensively?
(2) He specifically mentioned that the early signings were early because they were free transfers - and it gets a bit more difficult now. Which to me means that the next targets are not out of contract (or possibly that they are free transfers but aren't available to talk to because they're at the world cup). I may be reading too much into that though.

Also - He mentioned there would be a couple more pre-season friendlies, to be announced in the next few days.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Jun 2018 17:08

muirinho Interview with Paul Clement on Instagram here

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Bkc6LHCnXDU/

Couple of points relating to transfers
(1) He talked about trying to get in some attacking players "in the next few days and weeks" - sounded as if we're done defensively?
(2) He specifically mentioned that the early signings were early because they were free transfers - and it gets a bit more difficult now. Which to me means that the next targets are not out of contract (or possibly that they are free transfers but aren't available to talk to because they're at the world cup). I may be reading too much into that though.

Also - He mentioned there would be a couple more pre-season friendlies, to be announced in the next few days.

That’s fair enough. The focus on defensive signings has made it all seem a bit dour but attacking signings will follow. They simply have to.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jun 2018 17:53

I'd still like to see a left back but I guess that's just not happening unless one of Obita, Richards or Blackett moves on. And I guess we know Gunter's actually competent as a left back unlike at right back.

Very good news that they are looking at attackers and are hopeful of getting some things done, whilst being realistic with fans about timescales and how easy it is.

I doubt very much that we're looking at anyone at the world cup, but it's bound to have a knock on affect that those players can't move yet which holds up everything down the tree.

Everything Clement says seems good and the only abberration so far is O'Shea, although given BT and RG are still around its far from a clean break from previous failures.

I'd have said the same about what Stam said in the past though, so as always, the proof is in final signings and how we play.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Jun 2018 22:40

Snowflake Royal
Everything Clement says seems good and the only abberration so far is O'Shea,

O'Shea came here to work with Clement for the longer term. Not just a season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jun 2018 22:49

Lower West
Snowflake Royal

I don't see how that makes it any better. Yay, we get to train a player to be a coach, hoping he'll actually be any good at it, instead of employing a coach who is already trained, all whilst not using him on the pitch despite paying him as a player.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jun 2018 10:43

Snowflake Royal
Lower West
Snowflake Royal

I don't see how that makes it any better. Yay, we get to train a player to be a coach, hoping he'll actually be any good at it, instead of employing a coach who is already trained, all whilst not using him on the pitch despite paying him as a player.

My friend ìs good enough friends with a former cork gaa player who played football with John Oshea back in the day in Ireland. He said that out of their squad of 18 players John was the 16th best player and his one great quality was his leadership. Perhaps that's all there is to it. A known leader to back up the manager and keep the team focused. It might work.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 26 Jun 2018 12:17

Someone I know spoke to a current player at the weekend and basically said that he loved Jaap Stam but can't say the same for Paul Clement. He also said that youth will not get much a chance under Clement and that it is all about experience and the "older" players....so John O'Shea and David Meyler are the type of signings we can expect and also fits with Novakovich going out on loan again.

This player is not a youth player himself......

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jun 2018 12:49

Wycombe Royal Someone I know spoke to a current player at the weekend and basically said that he loved Jaap Stam but can't say the same for Paul Clement. He also said that youth will not get much a chance under Clement and that it is all about experience and the "older" players....so John O'Shea and David Meyler are the type of signings we can expect and also fits with Novakovich going out on loan again.

Liked Stam, is not a youth player, likely not an "older" player..

Ilori or Blackett.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jun 2018 13:04

NewCorkSeth
Wycombe Royal Someone I know spoke to a current player at the weekend and basically said that he loved Jaap Stam but can't say the same for Paul Clement. He also said that youth will not get much a chance under Clement and that it is all about experience and the "older" players....so John O'Shea and David Meyler are the type of signings we can expect and also fits with Novakovich going out on loan again.

Ilori or Blackett.

Gunter has literally just had his replacement signed having had free reign at right back for half a decade. If there's an obvious player to make an assumption about its him.

Blackett was hardly at the top of Stam's list and got dropped plenty by him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jun 2018 13:16

Good tbh. Stam was obvs a lovely bloke, and have it on good authority by a sponsor who met him very regularly.

Thought for a long time that he was just way too nice with the players. Don't really want PC to be loved by the players, just to get them playing something resembling football this season.

Doubt either Ilori or Blackett were Stam's biggest fans tbh - both were regularly dropped by him

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 26 Jun 2018 13:33

NewCorkSeth

Ilori or Blackett.

Could be anybody tbh, may even have not played much last season through injury (e.g, Obita). There was very little evidence of any of the players having major fallings out with Stam, and he definitely defended Ilori and Blackett when a different kind of manager might have hung them out to dry.

I think the comment about youth players fits in with Clements reputation from elsewhere - it will be tough for academy players to break in.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jun 2018 13:42

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Ilori or Blackett.

Gunter has literally just had his replacement signed having had free reign at right back for half a decade. If there's an obvious player to make an assumption about its him.

I figured Gunter is too soft to say something about the current manager.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jun 2018 14:11

100% Gunter.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 26 Jun 2018 14:27

CountryRoyal 100% Gunter.

Not Gunter, and I'm not going to say who it is, but I have seen photographic evidence of them meeting this player. He probably had his guard down as my friend is not a Reading fan and didn't meet him round here.

Wouldn't be surprised if this player is looking for a move though.

Personally I'm not bothered if players like the manager or not, as long as they respect them. However I don't like the idea of not giving the youth a chance. We spend a lot of money on maintaining and improving our academy so if we aren't going to look at bringing those players through to the first team then we may as well not bother. I assume all those close to the first team Smith, Rinomhota, Watson, Richards, Loader, etc will be sent out on loan.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 26 Jun 2018 14:41

Wycombe Royal
CountryRoyal 100% Gunter.

Not Gunter, and I'm not going to say who it is, but I have seen photographic evidence of them meeting this player. He probably had his guard down as my friend is not a Reading fan and didn't meet him round here.

Wouldn't be surprised if this player is looking for a move though.

Personally I'm not bothered if players like the manager or not, as long as they respect them. However I don't like the idea of not giving the youth a chance. We spend a lot of money on maintaining and improving our academy so if we aren't going to look at bringing those players through to the first team then we may as well not bother. I assume all those close to the first team Smith, Rinomhota, Watson, Richards, Loader, etc will be sent out on loan.

Just oxf*rd say who it was - no one is going to find out who you are or whether it was you who broke the story. You can't come on here spouting rumours if you haven't got the balls to back it up. Spill.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jun 2018 14:43

Tell everyone except John Smith.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 26 Jun 2018 14:53

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Liked Stam, is not a youth player, likely not an "older" player..

Ilori or Blackett.

I figured Gunter is too soft to say something about the current manager.

Get where you're coming from, but Gunter is nearly 29, with a decade of experience at this level behind him. He is more likely to be regarded as an "older" player, and, all things being equal, to get the nod over a younger less experienced player. If the comments are true it sounds like Clement won't be terribly interested in using Richards or Watson too much. I doubt he will be too worried about potential lack of playing time, given there's two full-back positions, and only three senior players, one of whom is coming back from a long layoff. if anything he's safer with Clement than with a manager who's gung-ho about getting the youth involved.

So, if he said anything, it would be as an observer, where it's not going to matter to him either way, than as somebody being negative because he's worried about his own position.

567 posts