Tiago llori

215 posts
Hopeful

Re: Tiago llori

by Hopeful » 07 Jan 2019 11:08

John Madejski's Wallet I thought Gomes made a point of saying he (depressingly) rates Ilori really highly

He would say that leading up to a January transfer window, whether he rated him or not.
You don't put your goods in the shop window and then say they aren't very good.

Unless you are Gerald Ratner (https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... 92-archive).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 11:13

Sutekh
O’Shea is good to have about the place with his experience

Is he? Its not really working is it? 3 relegations in a row at this rate

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2019 11:30

Hound IMO O Shea and McShane should not be considered for the first team. Both are constantly injured, and both not up to the job. Fair chance McShane has already been given his cards

+1

O'Shea, as a 37 year old has been is only worth playing if he's significantly better than everyone else. He isn't. At all.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2019 11:34

Hound
Sutekh
O’Shea is good to have about the place with his experience

Is he? Its not really working is it? 3 relegations in a row at this rate

And no real sign of improvement in ability of nous for any of our first team defenders IMO.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 11:37

Sunderland last year hardly stood out for their team spirit or defensive organisation either did they?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2019 12:37

Hound Sunderland last year hardly stood out for their team spirit or defensive organisation either did they?

So why are we signing Ejaria then? I don't know what it is with us signing ex Sunderland players but we have at least five in our squad

FTR O'Shea hasn't even been that bad this season, I don't think he should be playing in the Championship but he's OK as a squad player, he can pick out a pass and understands the game well, pace is a major problem though

Regarding Ilori, we've looked a lot more solid without him than with him, even against QPR he still set them up for 3 decent chances which they fluffed. Please get rid

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 07 Jan 2019 13:36

He's got to go. We should be looking to accept any offers for any players in this window (without being ripped off obviously).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 13:44

URZZZZ
Hound Sunderland last year hardly stood out for their team spirit or defensive organisation either did they?

So why are we signing Ejaria then? I don't know what it is with us signing ex Sunderland players but we have at least five in our squad

FTR O'Shea hasn't even been that bad this season, I don't think he should be playing in the Championship but he's OK as a squad player, he can pick out a pass and understands the game well, pace is a major problem though

Regarding Ilori, we've looked a lot more solid without him than with him, even against QPR he still set them up for 3 decent chances which they fluffed. Please get rid

I'm sure signing Ejaria is nothing to do with the great team spirit shown at Sunderland. Who are the 5+? Mannone, Meyler, O'Shea....after that I'm struggling....

O Shea isn't ok as a squad player as he is constantly injured. Injured warming up on Saturday for the second time this season. Slow, unreliable, generally not very good. Can pick a pass? Maybe to his fellow centre back 10 yards away. Been an awful signing.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2019 13:58

Hound
URZZZZ

I'm sure signing Ejaria is nothing to do with the great team spirit shown at Sunderland. Who are the 5+? Mannone, Meyler, O'Shea....after that I'm struggling....

O Shea isn't ok as a squad player as he is constantly injured. Injured warming up on Saturday for the second time this season. Slow, unreliable, generally not very good. Can pick a pass? Maybe to his fellow centre back 10 yards away. Been an awful signing.

Awful is harsh, whatever you say he has had a few good games this season, most noticeablely Hull and QPR, no-one was really expecting him to do much considering he just had back to back relegations with Sunderland. For a club with a long term ambition to get to the Premier League, he wasn't the right signing but calling him awful is wrong IMO

McShane also played for Sunderland and I was sort of assuming we already had Ejaria so that's the five

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 14:14

ah right you are. He did indeed play for them 10 years ago :)

He did do ok vs Hull, but then got himself sent off. QPR I didn't watch so can't really comment, but will give you that. So 2 decent-is performances, some dross, and a lot of time on the physio room. No doubt at decent wage as well

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 07 Jan 2019 14:18

URZZZZ
Hound
URZZZZ

Awful is harsh, whatever you say he has had a few good games this season, most noticeablely Hull and QPR, no-one was really expecting him to do much considering he just had back to back relegations with Sunderland. For a club with a long term ambition to get to the Premier League, he wasn't the right signing but calling him awful is wrong IMO

McShane also played for Sunderland and I was sort of assuming we already had Ejaria so that's the five

Seems a bit strange even mentioning that McShane is "ex Sunderland" - he last played there 9 or 10 years ago. 6 years ago for Meyler.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jan 2019 14:36

We also seem obsessed with signing ex Hull players and ex Man Utd players.

It’s as if most players play for quite a few clubs in the course of their career !

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 14:45

Nameless We also seem obsessed with signing ex Hull players and ex Man Utd players.

It’s as if most players play for quite a few clubs in the course of their career !

esp rubbish journeymen

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 07 Jan 2019 15:05

Hound
Nameless We also seem obsessed with signing ex Hull players and ex Man Utd players.

esp rubbish journeymen

I know McShane, Meyler and the like haven't ripped up trees while here, but playing a hundred games in the PL is hardly "rubbish journeymen" level.

Players are essentially self-employed with a limited time to do as well as they can. So if they aren't getting game time, and have no prospect of it, they have to move on. Given the high turnover of managers, who want to bring in their own players, it's not always their choice either.

It's not like we show any loyalty to them - take a look at what gets said regularly about McCleary for instance - he's been here for over 6 years, is still a useful option off the bench, has never done anything even remotely unprofessional or disloyal - but is fit for nothing but glue factory according to some.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 15:08

yep I know, was being facetious

Would love to be as rubbish a journeyman as those 2 of course

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2019 15:23

muirinho
Hound

esp rubbish journeymen

I know McShane, Meyler and the like haven't ripped up trees while here, but playing a hundred games in the PL is hardly "rubbish journeymen" level.

Players are essentially self-employed with a limited time to do as well as they can. So if they aren't getting game time, and have no prospect of it, they have to move on. Given the high turnover of managers, who want to bring in their own players, it's not always their choice either.

It's not like we show any loyalty to them - take a look at what gets said regularly about McCleary for instance - he's been here for over 6 years, is still a useful option off the bench, has never done anything even remotely unprofessional or disloyal - but is fit for nothing but glue factory according to some.

I respect McCleary for what he's done for us over the years but he's so past it now it's unreal. He's scored 1 goal for us since the end of 2016, I get that he's been injured for some of it, but that is still a really poor record for a winger

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 07 Jan 2019 15:58

URZZZZ
Hound
URZZZZ

Awful isn't harsh at all - he's been oxf*rd shit. Which any half wit could have predicted. Tragically bad signing. He's 37 ffs.

Give me any other Champ CB instead of him.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 07 Jan 2019 16:09

John Smith Give me any other Champ CB instead of him.

McShane? :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2019 16:13

John Smith
URZZZZ
Hound

Awful isn't harsh at all - he's been oxf*rd shit. Which any half wit could have predicted. Tragically bad signing. He's 37 ffs.

Give me any other Champ CB instead of him.

I'm bored of this argument now

Answer me these four questions

1. How many times has O'Shea started for us this season
2. How many games have we kept a clean sheet this season?
3. How many times has O'Shea started in those clean sheet games?
4. How many clean sheets have we kept without O'Shea?

So no, he hasn't been awful

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 07 Jan 2019 16:25

URZZZZ I'm bored of this argument now

Answer me these four questions

1. How many times has O'Shea started for us this season
2. How many games have we kept a clean sheet this season?
3. How many times has O'Shea started in those clean sheet games?
4. How many clean sheets have we kept without O'Shea?

So no, he hasn't been awful

1. 9 times
2. One, as he was red carded in one and therefore didn't play a part in that achievement. He was also hauled off early in the other.

There's absolutely no way of defending his signing - we were able to do better than him in the summer and we didn't and it's part of the reason we are where we are now.

215 posts