SPECULATION - Danny Williams

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: SPECULATION - Danny Williams

by John Smith » 26 Mar 2019 11:37

Maneki Neko
John Smith Danny Williams is one of the best players to have ever played for Reading; incredible industry, desire, aggression and determination. Anyone looking for faults clearly has ideas above our station.

The only thing stopping him coming here would be wages - he can go and grab a pick up an easy bumper contract in China or Turkey instead.

"one of" is pretty vague
how many are in your list of best players, total?

Top 10

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Danny Williams

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Mar 2019 11:41

URZZZZ
John Smith
URZZZZ Which was to naturally be expected, he'll pick it up after a couple of games. I'm not one for overhyping academy players in the slightest, but Rinomhota is a class above and is better than Danny "I play well on TV" Williams

On the basis of 18 games? You really have no idea about anything to do with football do you.

So 18 games isn't enough time to judge Rinomhota but 4 starts is enough for you to call McNulty useless. OK then, that makes sense

Williams was decent enough but was miles too inconsistent. He'd be an 8 out of 10 one week then a 4 the next week. Rino is a comfortable 6/7 the majority of weeks and is consistent

As for comparing Tshibola and Rinomhota, Tshibola started six league games in his whole time here. Rinomhota has already comfortable overtaken him. Yeah, there's a chance he may be turned by money and fall off, but that can apply to any developing youngster

A bit apples and oranges isn't it? Different positions and different attributes to be judged on.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Mar 2019 11:45

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth Isn't it a bit sad that players in situations like William's would rather go out with a paycheck than a bang.

Go out with a bang? With who, us?

Rino in mid, not defined, what system? Had ‘discussion’ in here (ended in name calling shocker). Runs around with energy. Heard in here he’s now not a def-mid cos doesn’t shield back-4 (makes sense, cos he is wasn’t a def-mid in Academy).
Bit of a tweener, nice guy, takes photos with kids?
Instead, hearing in here he’s now a Box-to-Box Midfielder (What, like Sids?)
Back in the day Lamps, Gerrard, Scholes were that. So, looking for goals, assists, etc. Does he look the part? Has a shot on him? On a relative level, of course.
Yes, Academy grad, a kid, I’m harsh, wash your mouth out, etc.
Hopeful, looking to others to break down his game, where he projects in Champ (enjoy him while we can, heard he’ll be in PL/CL). Fine by me, cash in.

Not with us necessarily but the championship is certainly more exciting and a higher standard for the most part than the money leagues. Theres plenty of teams in the championship who could realistically get promoted next season not including any of the relegated teams. One last hurrah and all that.

It's easy to say but I believe if I were a player of similar reputation at a similar age I wouldn't feel like my career was at an end. I would want to challenge myself to play real, competitive football for longer.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 26 Mar 2019 14:00

John Smith
Maneki Neko
John Smith Danny Williams is one of the best players to have ever played for Reading; incredible industry, desire, aggression and determination. Anyone looking for faults clearly has ideas above our station.

The only thing stopping him coming here would be wages - he can go and grab a pick up an easy bumper contract in China or Turkey instead.

"one of" is pretty vague

Top 10

'ck off!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Mar 2019 14:29

I want to see Smithy's list of the top 10 Reading players ever.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Mar 2019 14:56

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
John Smith On the basis of 18 games? You really have no idea about anything to do with football do you.

So 18 games isn't enough time to judge Rinomhota but 4 starts is enough for you to call McNulty useless. OK then, that makes sense

Williams was decent enough but was miles too inconsistent. He'd be an 8 out of 10 one week then a 4 the next week. Rino is a comfortable 6/7 the majority of weeks and is consistent

As for comparing Tshibola and Rinomhota, Tshibola started six league games in his whole time here. Rinomhota has already comfortable overtaken him. Yeah, there's a chance he may be turned by money and fall off, but that can apply to any developing youngster

A bit apples and oranges isn't it? Different positions and different attributes to be judged on.

I’m not comparing those two players, I’m saying if you can’t judge and compare a player who’s played 18 times, how can you judge someone that’s played 4 games from the start with the odd 10 minutes off the bench

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Mar 2019 15:05

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

I’m not comparing those two players, I’m saying if you can’t judge and compare a player who’s played 18 times, how can you judge someone that’s played 4 games from the start with the odd 10 minutes off the bench

I get it I just mean we judge strikers on goals for the most part. Not saying we should but we do. McNulty looked ok at times for me personally. His movement seemed natural at least.

He had his run in the team at the worst possible time with our wingers being out of form or injured and pretty much everyone operating at sub par. I think if he had his run now he would have looked much better and his movement off the ball would have paid off more.

Having said that he never looked remotely fit. He may have been fit but he looked overweight and people will judge you for that so he was always going to struggle to get fans on side.

Rinomhota on the other hand only had to show energy and physicality to get the fans on board. He showed traits we have been missing in our midfield so will obviously get more credit than he is possibly due. Although I do think he looks good. Very good..

That's what I meant by apples and oranges. Not comparing them against each other but comparing what they had to show in their appearances for fans to make their minds up.

I think I'm doing an awful job at explaining this. It makes sense in my head. If I still dont make sense tell me and I'll try again after work.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Mar 2019 15:29

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth A bit apples and oranges isn't it? Different positions and different attributes to be judged on.

I get it I just mean we judge strikers on goals for the most part. Not saying we should but we do. McNulty looked ok at times for me personally. His movement seemed natural at least.

He had his run in the team at the worst possible time with our wingers being out of form or injured and pretty much everyone operating at sub par. I think if he had his run now he would have looked much better and his movement off the ball would have paid off more.

Having said that he never looked remotely fit. He may have been fit but he looked overweight and people will judge you for that so he was always going to struggle to get fans on side.

Rinomhota on the other hand only had to show energy and physicality to get the fans on board. He showed traits we have been missing in our midfield so will obviously get more credit than he is possibly due. Although I do think he looks good. Very good..

That's what I meant by apples and oranges. Not comparing them against each other but comparing what they had to show in their appearances for fans to make their minds up.

I think I'm doing an awful job at explaining this. It makes sense in my head. If I still dont make sense tell me and I'll try again after work.

No, I think I know what you mean and it does make sense. Also think the fact that Meite and Bodvarsson were scoring added extra pressure on McNulty whereas the midfield at the time when Rinomhota broke through were struggling

However, I don't agree where you say he had a run. His most consecutive starts in a row this season has been two on one occasion and he scored in one of those games

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Mar 2019 16:27

sandman I like Rinomhota too and think he could be a real star over the next couple of seasons.

However, as JS said, it's ridiculous to say he's better than someone like Danny Williams on the basis of 18 games.

The name Tshibola comes to mind a little bit. Although I doubt Rinomhota will have his head turned the way Tshibola did.

+1

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 26 Mar 2019 17:31

sandman I want to see Smithy's list of the top 10 Reading players ever.

Pog’s in the top 3.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Mar 2019 17:57

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

No, I think I know what you mean and it does make sense. Also think the fact that Meite and Bodvarsson were scoring added extra pressure on McNulty whereas the midfield at the time when Rinomhota broke through were struggling

However, I don't agree where you say he had a run. His most consecutive starts in a row this season has been two on one occasion and he scored in one of those games

Yeah sorry that wasn't clear. I just meant when he actually played for us rather than him being given a decent run. It was probably the worst time of the season for a player with his style of play. Nothing in the way we were playing at the time would help a player like him settle or perform well.

Now I might be making presumptions about his style of play from the few games I watched of him so if anyone knows better than me on what sort of player he is I'll bow out.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Mar 2019 17:57

Scutterbucketz

Pog is the top 3.

Fixed for ya.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Mar 2019 22:45

John Smith
Maneki Neko

"one of" is pretty vague

Top 10

ROFL.

Kitson, Doyle, Sigurdsson, Kebe, Little, Sidwell, Harper, Gunnarsson, Shaka, Hahnemann, Wdowczyk, Ingimarsson, Convey, Osborn, McAnuff, Long, A Williams, Gooding, S Taylor, Sonko, Harte, Griffin, Leigertwood, Gorkss, Pearce, J Quinn, Murty, Bernal, Cureton, Forster...

I could go on.

I'll concede he might squeek in to a top 10 midfielders if wingers don't count. Didn't see enough of Taylor and Osborn to know whether to count them as wingers or midfielders

1. Sig
2. Sid
3. Harps
4. Gooding
5. Gunnarsson
6. Leigertwood
7. Tabb
8. Karacan
9. Caskey
10. Parkinson
11. Rinomhota
12. Williams

Maybe not.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Mar 2019 01:47

Snowflake Royal
John Smith
Maneki Neko
"one of" is pretty vague

Top 10

ROFL.

Kitson, Doyle, Sigurdsson, Kebe, Little, Sidwell, Harper, Gunnarsson, Shaka, Hahnemann, Wdowczyk, Ingimarsson, Convey, Osborn, McAnuff, Long, A Williams, Gooding, S Taylor, Sonko, Harte, Griffin, Leigertwood, Gorkss, Pearce, J Quinn, Murty, Bernal, Cureton, Forster...

I could go on.

I'll concede he might squeek in to a top 10 midfielders if wingers don't count. Didn't see enough of Taylor and Osborn to know whether to count them as wingers or midfielders

1. Sig
2. Sid
3. Harps
4. Gooding
5. Gunnarsson
6. Leigertwood
7. Tabb
8. Karacan
9. Caskey
10. Parkinson
11. Rinomhota
12. Williams

Maybe not.

Norwood > Williams

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Mar 2019 07:15

I knew I'd miss someone

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Mar 2019 08:39

Snowflake Royal I knew I'd miss someone

Tabb is a bit high no?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 27 Mar 2019 08:53

Snowflake Royal
John Smith
Maneki Neko
"one of" is pretty vague

Top 10

ROFL.

I could go on.

1. Sig
2. Sid
3. Harps
4. Gooding
5. Gunnarsson
6. Leigertwood
7. Tabb
8. Karacan
9. Caskey
10. Parkinson
11. Rinomhota
12. Williams

Maybe not.

not having putting rinomhota in
he may overtake him given a season, but he has no place in there yet.

id question mark Tabbs inclusion, who I love btw, but that's much more of a personal judgement call

but in general, yes, agreed, its possible williams gets in on a list just of central midfielders.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Mar 2019 13:47

I was tempted to chuck in someone really shit like Evers for a laugh.

But also forgot Brebner.

I thought Tabb was underused and appreciated. To be honest itd be better to do them in tiers rather than a 1 by 1 rank. Williams would be third tier for me alongside quite a few of those.

Sidders and Sig in the top tier on their own.

Then the likes of Harps, Gunnar, Gooding etc.

Then Williams, Tabb, Rino etc

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Mar 2019 07:28

I can think of at least 10 players from 2005-2006 who would rank higher than him.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Mar 2019 09:43

Snowflake Royal
John Smith
Maneki Neko
"one of" is pretty vague

Top 10

ROFL.

I could go on.

1. Sig
2. Sid
3. Harps
4. Gooding
5. Gunnarsson
6. Leigertwood
7. Tabb
8. Karacan
9. Caskey
10. Parkinson
11. Rinomhota
12. Williams

Maybe not.

Nice touch to put Jerry Williams at 12. :wink:

There's also players like Gilkes, Beavon and Bowman and I'd put Kevin Bremner in there and Scott Taylor. Osborn was a fantastic player but I feel it needs more than a season at the club to warrant inclusion but no, he wasn't a winger

Taylor was at his best playing wide in a midfield 3 in a system that utilised wing backs. I wouldn't strictly class him as a winger although he could play there.

I would class John Smith as a bit of a fool though