BFTG - Wednesday (H)

103 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

BFTG - Wednesday (H)

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2016 18:11

Well not the best but a decent point.

Game of two halves really. Wednesday started well brayed on by their loud fans. We started like we were intimidated. We couldn't cope with their high press. But they decided to settle fot 1-0 and tine waste from at least as early as the half hour mark. Dirty, cynical, cheating Northern barstewards.

Al-Habsi 7 didn't do much wrong. When he doesn't drop a howler he inspires confidence.
Gunter 6 great block 2nd half but every time he receives the ball his first reaction is cautious control. He always dithers and has to play negative. Same with throws.
Obita 6 not lost the silly fouls drom his game but ok.
Ferdinand 7 too casual with his passing firat half
Cooper 7 scored but too casual first half and gave them the ball for their goal.
Norwood 6 off the boil first half and way too deep
Evans 6 looked to have class but played too deep, there was a point when he and Norwood were in CB positions with Cooper and Ferdie at fullback
Williams 5/8 first half anonymous, utterlywasted and useless out wide. In the middle everything we'd missed driving us forward and taking players out the game
HRK 6/7 played well when he switched to the right, otherwise ok
Vydra 7 missed the pen but caused loads of problems, got no protection from being fouled endlessly
Piazon 5 anonymous

John 7 tries to do too much
Kermorgant 6 looked lively! But i think it was him who missed what looked an easy free header to win it

still good signs there, lost McCleary at the wrong time though. Should have won, not bad considering we looked hopelessly outclassed in the first 20.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 23 Jan 2016 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Wednesday (H)

by Maneki Neko » 23 Jan 2016 18:14

OK in the end. Could have won.
Wish brian would start picking the right team and system for the first half instead of waiting for the 2nd

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 23 Jan 2016 18:21

Least he's getting it right it the second half.

That's 45min better then the previous 2 managers

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Jan 2016 18:22

Thought Wednesday were the best team we've played for the first 15, and could've given us a real spanking if they hadn't sat back after they scored.

Vydra did brilliantly to win the pen, shame he then fluffed his lines again.

Gunts and Hal both very good, particularly in the second half.

Williams was good once he moved back into CM.

Yann looked decent, his header looked like an absolute sitter though.

Evans was pretty poor, but I'm sure he'll get better.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 23 Jan 2016 18:26

Pleased with a point. Played well after we went behind....Wednesday were so negative and came for a point. I was really surprised by that because the few times they hit us on the break, they looked an excellent team. Overall, we could have nicked all 3 points with an excellent 2nd half display BUT we have to stop giving teams a goal start. As an aside I thought Obita defended really well today and was much better at not diving in and getting beaten.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Jan 2016 18:26

I liked the look of their right back.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 23 Jan 2016 18:27

Enjoyed that last 30 min to be fair. Once John came on and Williams went into the middle we looked good for a goal or two.

I am a massive critic of HRK, but he was very, very good on the right. He can play there again. Kermogant looks decent and will hopefully partner Vydra well. Speaking of Vydra, he put in a right shift today but not much came off.

Obita got forward well, but I think we looked weaker defensively without Taylor there.

Evans seems ok, but I don't get why we signed him. With Quinn and Tishbola to come back, he's unnecessary and far too much like Norwood. We looked really weak with him and. Norwood together in the middle as they were both playing far too deep

Still, came away fairly upbeat

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 23 Jan 2016 18:27

We really should have won that.

Debut for Evans that was a 4 or 5 out of 10. We had to accommodate him by playing Williams wide and that _really_ screwed us. It really wasn't worth it, for all the hype he did nothing of note expect shoot wide a couple of times when the least you'd hope for is a shot in target. I'd much rather have Quinn playing.

Same for Kermogant, as the song says "what can I say. you've been totally shit from the start" and he did nothing to dispel that, missed a header (badly) and pretty well did nothing else.

I really wonder what McD thinks we play, there's no apparent system. Having said that it was good to see Obita back.
Last edited by PieEater on 23 Jan 2016 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Jan 2016 18:29

PieEater We really should have won that.

Debut for Evans that was a 4 or 5 out of 10. We had to accommodate him by playing Williams wide and that _really_ screwed us. It really wasn't worth it, for all the hype he did nothing of note expect shoot wide a couple of times when the least you'd hope for is a shot in target. I'd much rather have Quinn playing.

Same for Kermogant, as the song says "what can I say. you've always been shit from the start" and he did nothing to dispel that, missed a header (badly) and pretty well did nothing else.

I really wonder what McD thinks we play, there's no apparent system. Having said that it was good to see Obita back.

Disagree on Kermie. Looked strong. Good in the air (apart from the sitter!), and some nice touches. We were much better with him on the pitch.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 23 Jan 2016 18:31

Pepe the Horseman

Same for Kermogant, as the song says "what can I say. you've always been shit from the start" and he did nothing to dispel that, missed a header (badly) and pretty well did nothing else.

Disagree on Kermie. Looked strong. Good in the air (apart from the sitter!), and some nice touches. We were much better with him on the pitch.

^^ 'greed

He was looking to put Vydra through when he could too. Liked the look of him

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2016 18:31

On the pen, I've got to say weds showed a masterclass in how to put off a striker.

Defender who gave it away stayed down pretending injury to make Vydra wait.

Another player gets in Vydra's ear, doubtless psyching him out

Keeper takes his time drying his hands just when Vydra thought it was go time to sap the moment from him.

Ref failed to stamp his authority on them all game.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 23 Jan 2016 18:32

Who was that new number 9 for Reading?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Jan 2016 18:33

Fully expected us to lose but we should have won.

Good: Williams, HRK, Gunter

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Jan 2016 18:36

Lol @ the humpty dumpty chants.

Moonfish

by Moonfish » 23 Jan 2016 18:41

A game of two halves if there ever was one...

4-2-3-1 first half just didn't work, there were no options from the forward three, and we resorted to playing it amongst our holding players/defence on the half-way line, making it all too easy for Wednesday

Second half with a change of shape, and Kermit the Frog upfront, we looked far more balanced and started to work our way back into the game. The introduction of Ola John, with Williams going back into the centre and HRK moving to the right wing, improved the balance even more, and sure enough within 10minutes we had the ball in the back of the net.... from a corner!!!! :shock:

Overall a fair result, and encouraging that we've worked our way back into another game in true McDermott 'never give up' style.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Jan 2016 18:51

John Madejski's Wallet Evans seems ok, but I don't get why we signed him.

Because the guy has huge potential. Today was his Championship debut so all things considered did ok. Only 21 as well. Can play centre back as well as midfield.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Jan 2016 18:53

Did anyone else spot the Sheff Wed coach going onto the pitch when they had a corner and doing the goalie's hair?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 23 Jan 2016 18:55

Same for Kermogant, as the song says "what can I say. you've been totally shit from the start" and he did nothing to dispel that, missed a header (badly) and pretty well did nothing else.

Can't really mark down Evans for Williams playing on the wing.
And anyway, it wasn't necessary to play Williams there to accommodate Evans. Seeing the line-up on the way to the game I was pretty pleased at the prospect of us lining up in a 4-3-3.
If you want to play 3 CMs then you play a formation with 3 CMs... It's not particularly complicated.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Jan 2016 18:56

Re: Evans, will have to patient with him while he gets up to speed. He was perhaps nervous and was definitely off the pace at times but perhaps you have more time on the ball in League One than you do in the Championship.

Disappointed with Kermorgant fluffing that chance at the end.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Jan 2016 19:01

Lower West
John Madejski's Wallet Evans seems ok, but I don't get why we signed him.

Because the guy has huge potential. Today was his Championship debut so all things considered did ok. Only 21 as well. Can play centre back as well as midfield.

All things considered we can't afford to carry a passenger in midfield, which he was today. You can't say that performance was ok, because it was poor.
But, I do agree that just because he was nervous/ unsure of his role/ off his game we shouldn't in any way write him off. I think next time he plays he will be much more comfortable, and hopefully we'll play a formation that doesn't expose him as much.
Quite happy to give him a run of games to find his feet, he comes with a good pedigree.
Last edited by Nameless on 23 Jan 2016 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

103 posts