BTFG Wolves

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

BTFG Wolves

by Royal_jimmy » 13 Aug 2016 17:03

Meh another pathetic away performance. Al-Habsi stopped it being a thrashing.

1 win in 19 away games is awful. We need to be tight at the back and set up to try and nick 0-0s away from home and be hard to beat.

SpaghettiHoop

Re: BTFG Wolves

by SpaghettiHoop » 13 Aug 2016 17:14

We move on.

Davezk

by Davezk » 13 Aug 2016 17:21

Very poor. Looked no danger on the ball. Thought we might lose the ball and concede quite often. Strange game. Our fans were very subdued as well throughout.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 13 Aug 2016 17:31

WE have four very good wingers-but without any strikers , having four is a luxury we can ill afford.

Kermit & Denis are not up to it-lets hope Mendes (?) can do something ?

Listened this PM to Mick and Dim, and it seemed we hardly posed any kind of threat over 90 plus minutes.

Forget Liam Moore-get a striker from somewhere-anywhere.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Aug 2016 17:43

Westwood52 WE have four very good wingers-but without any strikers , having four is a luxury we can ill afford.

Kermit & Denis are not up to it-lets hope Mendes (?) can do something ?

Listened this PM to Mick and Dim, and it seemed we hardly posed any kind of threat over 90 plus minutes.

Forget Liam Moore-get a striker from somewhere-anywhere.

Bit pointless if you cant set him up with chances though.

Berry

by Berry » 13 Aug 2016 18:04

Dutch Adkins?? We will win nothing with Kermogant leading the line

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 13 Aug 2016 18:08

Royal_jimmy Meh another pathetic away performance. Al-Habsi stopped it being a thrashing.

1 win in 19 away games is awful. We need to be tight at the back and set up to try and nick 0-0s away from home and be hard to beat.

Would that be the same Al Habsi that allowed Malone to head in a corner frrom all of 6 inches ? tbf i just watched the shy highlights (it didn`t show a single Reading attack. he made a few good saves.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Aug 2016 18:21

Bloody hell, the doomy divs are out in force early doors.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Aug 2016 18:31

Play your football higher up the pitch, that's all we've ever needed to do. We just invite pressure on to ourselves by knocking it around our own back four.

Berry

by Berry » 13 Aug 2016 18:33

Crux, I bow to you're superior knowledge of football, Kermogant will be a French International by mid season, my son told me that!!

Crux

by Crux » 13 Aug 2016 19:00

Berry Crux, I bow to you're superior knowledge of football, Kermogant will be a French International by mid season, my son told me that!!

Was aimed at the Adkins comment but I wouldn't expect someone like you to get it.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Aug 2016 19:05

Honestly that was the very definition of tame and any sense of renewed optimism has evaporated just like that. On par if not worse than a lot of the dross we were served up last year. To me it had all the characteristics of a team uncomfortable and uncertain with the style of play, which is expected it is early doors after all. Very disappointing though it took us to concede 2 goals before we started to show a bit of urgency. I'm all for the possession game but you don't win any points for it, and passing it around the back 5 is never going to challenge the opposition. At least 70% of our possession in the first half must have been in our on third and as soon as we broke into their half we fell to pieces and lost it.

We could have been playing all week and not scored and I doubt Wolves will have an easier game all season, we were so pedestrian we might as well have not even got off the bus. I'd say it's hard to break play against a team with 11 men behind the ball but seeings how most of our football was played in our own half it's kind of expected. The whole aim is to pass and move, drag players out of position, find pockets of space and really play with some kind of purpose and idea, that was lacking today. Little movement, no creativity, no clue. Credit to Wolves they were organised, stronger, harder in the tackle and broke with pace and accuracy. Every time they got the ball they did something with it. That being said I think we made them look a lot better than they were, we were that poor.

Al-Habsi 6 - made a fair few saves but also got us into trouble

Gunter 5 - Not his worst performance but pretty oxf*rd average. Beaten too easily for their first.

McShane 5 - Seeing McShane take 4 touches and spend 30 seconds to pass square or back is more painful than a hernia.

VDB 5 - Likewise. Not a CB.

Obita 5 - Turned inside out time and time again.

Evans 4 - Rabbit in headlights.

Williams 4 - Standard Williams of old. Appears to be doing a lot but in reality did feck all. Still can't shoot.

Swift 5 - Not his day.

Beerens 4 - ditto.

McCleary 5 - Tried but nothing came off, poor delivery.

Kermorgant 2 - Truly inept.

Subs

Meite 4 - Passionate lad but frustrating cameo. Was poor.

Harriot 3 - Ineffective

Rakels 0 - Did he touch the ball? He perfectly epitomized this reading team today. Running around like headless chickens chasing shadows and being generally clueless.

Stam 1 - Tactically incompetent. Shape of the team wasn't working so what did he do? Like for like subbing the wingers off. No plan B. Must have studied at the Brian McDermott school of half time team talks. "Right lads, lets keep it tight straight after the break".

Ref 4 - Seemed to favor the home team.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 13 Aug 2016 19:10

I can't accept these opinions as they're the same ones I heard when Adkins was "Tactically amateur", Clarke was "Tactically inept", and BM was "tactically clueless" and now Jaap Staam is clueless too.

No, they're not. I didn't go today, I will put that out there. I will also accept we rolled over and had our bellies tickled. But fans need to realise this is the championship and even the winners have this happen to them (not saying that will be us...).

It's not pretty. We can lose 0-2 to Wolves but end up winning 0-5 at Newcastle, and then go on to lose 3-0 to Brighton. That's just what happens sometimes.

My point being, negativity of this degree just doesn't appear valid in my mind. it's fans incorrect perception and it's doom and gloom at it's worst.

Nuremberg Royal

by Nuremberg Royal » 13 Aug 2016 19:10

Will be interesting to see how we react to defeat. There is much to learn in adversity.
Likelihood is that we may get tanked in midweek and it could be a while before we pick up some points. Key for me is to see improvement in the way we play over the next few games ...regardless of the results. Shall we look to get to 40 point safety first....? I think so .

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Aug 2016 19:13

bobby1413 I can't accept these opinions as they're the same ones I heard when Adkins was "Tactically amateur", Clarke was "Tactically inept", and BM was "tactically clueless" and now Jaap Staam is clueless too.

No, they're not. I didn't go today, I will put that out there. I will also accept we rolled over and had our bellies tickled. But fans need to realise this is the championship and even the winners have this happen to them (not saying that will be us...).

It's not pretty. We can lose 0-2 to Wolves but end up winning 0-5 at Newcastle, and then go on to lose 3-0 to Brighton. That's just what happens sometimes.

My point being, negativity of this degree just doesn't appear valid in my mind. it's fans incorrect perception and it's doom and gloom at it's worst.

I take each game on merit, just because we comfortably beat Preston doesn't mean we will win the league, equally us getting comfortably beaten at wolves doesn't mean we will go down. Fact is there are very few if any positives you can take out of this one game.

And I hate to be that guy but you didn't even go. :lol:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 13 Aug 2016 19:54

CountryRoyal
bobby1413 I can't accept these opinions as they're the same ones I heard when Adkins was "Tactically amateur", Clarke was "Tactically inept", and BM was "tactically clueless" and now Jaap Staam is clueless too.

I take each game on merit, just because we comfortably beat Preston doesn't mean we will win the league, equally us getting comfortably beaten at wolves doesn't mean we will go down. Fact is there are very few if any positives you can take out of this one game.

And I hate to be that guy but you didn't even go. :lol:

I just think people react too quickly. In my mind:

The championship is a horrific viscious struggle and fight against big big teams who have fallen down the league. They are well organised and well supported. Even teams that aren't are fighting to remain in a bloody decent division.

We have to bear that in mind.

Losing 2-0 to wolves is likely to mean very little in the grand scheme of things.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 13 Aug 2016 20:25

Joey Van Den Berg is a dreadful player and in no way better than Jake Cooper.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 13 Aug 2016 20:30

I went.

We were dreadful though I expect that we thrashed them on possession - so every cloud eh?

Still a work in progress obviously but not enough movement off the ball. Evans kept dropping back to fetch the ball and the other midfielders didn't follow him so he had no-one other than the centre backs to pass to.

Players seem incapable of (or not allowed to) clearing the lines instead of looking for a pass. Their first goal came after an Al-Habsi error invited needless pressure. MOTM though - cricket score without him.

None of the new guys covered themselves in glory. Joey's passing was off - so many times whacked out of play trying to pick out Gunter. Beerens rightly subbed after an ineffective display, though his drag-back to beat a defender just before he went was a thing of beauty.

The system/style does worry me though. We'll play much better teams than Wolves - if we don't sort it out we'll cop a proper dicking

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 13 Aug 2016 20:35

Surprised by today's performance given I was at the previous 2 games and we were very impressive, I would argue an awkward away tie doesn't make a bad team but I came out of the Plymouth tie saying the following 3 matches would really show where we're at and this wasn't a great start.

Moore by the sounds of things can't join quickly enough and it's clear Stam agrees, it's a shame Dickie appears to be injured (unless there's another explanation for him disappearing the last few weeks) as from what I've seen and heard he'd be the footballing centre-back we need, although he's got no real experience at this level.

On similar lines maybe it's worth sticking Meite up top through the middle, Kermogant and Rakels just haven't done enough since January and although you'd imagine they'll be behind both Mendes and Samuel when they return, for the time being it might be worth blooding Yakou as he's got the pace and strength you'd probably want from that role. Yes he's raw as anything but Yann in the last two matches has done nothing but make up the numbers and Rakels was anonymous vs Preston

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Aug 2016 20:39

P!ssed Off Joey Van Den Berg is a dreadful centre back and in no way better than Jake Cooper.

FTFY