Man Utd (A)

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Man Utd (A)

by bobby1413 » 05 Jan 2017 14:40

kwik-silva
Kitsondinho I usually use the metro and will be again on Saturday. It is absolutely mental (unless you arrive stupidly early) For that reason I have previously got off at Trafford Bar and walked the rest. If you fancy a quieter tram but a longer walk, get the Eccles tram to Pomona or Exchange Quay. The walk is about 15-20 mins, but you are less likely to be squashed into the tram beforehand!!

Second the Exchange Quay idea, it's not that far and much easier

What about coming back... would you just do the same, walk from ground to Trafford Bar or Pomona? I'd assume they'd be really busy as thousands would be heading back into town in that direction.

I'm not far from Manchester Victoria train station so I may get the metro train from there to Trafford Bar

Lenny The Tramp

by Lenny The Tramp » 05 Jan 2017 15:42

If you're in Deansgate, walk over to Castlefield (10 minutes) and get one of the barges. Pubs all around the area and you can booze all the way on board. Hassle free, queue-free return. Might cost you a few quid, but well worth it.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 05 Jan 2017 17:31

Anybody else not received a ticket yet?

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 05 Jan 2017 18:00

bobby1413
kwik-silva
Kitsondinho I usually use the metro and will be again on Saturday. It is absolutely mental (unless you arrive stupidly early) For that reason I have previously got off at Trafford Bar and walked the rest. If you fancy a quieter tram but a longer walk, get the Eccles tram to Pomona or Exchange Quay. The walk is about 15-20 mins, but you are less likely to be squashed into the tram beforehand!!

What about coming back... would you just do the same, walk from ground to Trafford Bar or Pomona? I'd assume they'd be really busy as thousands would be heading back into town in that direction.

I'm not far from Manchester Victoria train station so I may get the metro train from there to Trafford Bar

If you go Eccles line, don't go back via Pomona. Walk to Exchange Quay because some don't stop at Pomona on the way back, due to size of queues etc.
Trafford Bar is busier after the game.....but you should still be ok heading that way, especially if you leave on 85 mins because we are 4-0 down :wink:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Jan 2017 09:08

Kitsondinho If you go Eccles line, don't go back via Pomona. Walk to Exchange Quay because some don't stop at Pomona on the way back, due to size of queues etc.
Trafford Bar is busier after the game.....but you should still be ok heading that way, especially if you leave on 85 mins because we are 4-0 down :wink:

Thank you squire.

One last thing. I'm staying in the same hotel I have done twice previously - near to Deansgate. I usually just go there for drinks/food.

But is there any other areas in Manchester which is good to go out in? Nothing too mental, just food and a few bevvies

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 06 Jan 2017 13:57

bobby1413
Kitsondinho If you go Eccles line, don't go back via Pomona. Walk to Exchange Quay because some don't stop at Pomona on the way back, due to size of queues etc.

Thank you squire.

One last thing. I'm staying in the same hotel I have done twice previously - near to Deansgate. I usually just go there for drinks/food.

But is there any other areas in Manchester which is good to go out in? Nothing too mental, just food and a few bevvies

Northern Quarter is good - loads of bars and restaurants
THE place to be for those looking for a cool night out in Manchester

La Flama Blanca

by La Flama Blanca » 06 Jan 2017 14:17

Where's everyone drinking after the game?

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 06 Jan 2017 14:21

Northern Quarter used to be my preferred part of town when I lived in Manchester.

Odd Bar, Cosmonaut and Whiskey Jar are all good.

Me and me dad will be heading there after the game for a few.

Waterfront wetherspoons near St. Peter's square for pre game pints, the early kick off has meant limited availability so needs must.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Jan 2017 14:49

Was at the stadium at lunchtime.
The pessimists were right, we failed to sell out.
Apparantly we had less than 10 unsold......

Dave_Kitson

by Dave_Kitson » 06 Jan 2017 14:56

Northern Quarter is a great shout for anyone staying in the city.
For anyone staying near Deansgate, avoid the chain bars at Deansgate Locks and instead go to:
Britons Protection - Next to Deansgate-Castlefield Metrolink.
Temple Bar - on Oxf*rd Street.

Philly Flyer

by Philly Flyer » 06 Jan 2017 16:42

Northern Quarter is definitely a great place to go for a few beers on a Friday. Good suggestions already and I would add Gullivers and the Abel Heywood, but the latter will not be showing the footy. There will be plenty of bars around Deansgate showing Citeh play this evening! I'm off to Salford to watch a jazz band & will be back in the NQ later on for a few beers. Always a good night out in Manchester.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Jan 2017 16:55

Great - see you all in the Northern Quarter. Definitely going to try to catch the Citeh game.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Jan 2017 19:44

Having dinner. Bit late as we got lost in the northern quarter

Passed some of the places mentioned.

Would be good to have a meat up for tomorrow after the game ...

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Jan 2017 20:42

Kitsondinho
bobby1413
kwik-silva

If you go Eccles line, don't go back via Pomona. Walk to Exchange Quay because some don't stop at Pomona on the way back, due to size of queues etc.

So did you make a bet on the result?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Jan 2017 13:26

bobby1413 Having dinner. Bit late as we got lost in the northern quarter

Passed some of the places mentioned.

Would be good to have a meat up for tomorrow after the game ...

The game was awful but the night out superb

Lost count of pubs we went to - almost every one of them a winner
And not that busy so didn't have long bar queues anywhere

Where did you get to assuming you went to Northern Quarter on Saturday?

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 09 Jan 2017 19:38

tidus_mi2

So did you make a bet on the result?

Sadly no......I'd forgotten I'd written that 'prediction' too!!