MATCHWATCH : Queen's Park Rangers (h) sponsored by a last minute howler

163 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Queen's Park Rangers (h) sponsored by a last minute howler

by Sutekh » 11 Jan 2017 11:29

And it's a return for the wonderful idea of Thursday night football that some bright spark at SKY decided would be the next best way to screw with the English fixture list and hack off as many supporters as possible. Just wish the FL/PL would turn around and tell these TV companies just what to do with their stupid ideas sometimes but as everyone is out for what they can get that'll never happen.

After two cup exits in quick succession Reading will be looking to bounce back and pick up on their league form just as they left off. Jaakkola, Quinn and Harriott are out injured and I would also expect McShane to miss out due to his wrist op. despite being able to play with it bandaged before the op. Presuming Ilori's transfer completes today then he could find himself making his debut in the game but I reckon the club may decide he isn't match fit enough and so may only be on the bench.

QPR will be without Stephen Caulker and Jack Robinson while Tjaronn Chery remains out of favour as he seeks a move away. Michael Doughty and Darnell Furlong are welcomed back to the squad after returning from loan spells and new Brighton loanee Kazenga Lua Lua is also in contention for a start. Former Reading loanee Jamie Mackie is also expected to be available. Ian Holloway's team are on a run of 2 successive league wins after a fairly miserable spell of nothing from loads of games so Reading will need to be on their guard to not be caught out.

Referee

Oliver Langford will be taking responsibility for affairs on the night

Previously

03 Dec 2016 > Fulham 5-0 Reading
04 Oct 2016 > Portsmouth 2-2 Reading U23 (Checkacrowd Trophy)
27 Sep 2016 > Brentford 4-1 Reading
19 Jan 2016 > Reading 5-2 Huddersfield Town (FAC3R)
16 Dec 2015 > Hull City 2-1 Reading
11 Mar 2014 > Leeds United 2-4 Reading
14 Dec 2013 > Huddersfield Town 0-1 Reading
06 Mar 2012 > Reading 1-0 Portsmouth
27 Aug 2011 > Hull City 1-0 Reading
16 Oct 2010 > Reading 0-1 Swansea City
09 Feb 2010 > Reading 1-0 Plymouth Argyle

Historically

QPR and Reading are in their 43rd season together and the home league record for the previous 42 visits is very favourable to Reading with 25 wins to just 8 defeats. However it should be noted that Reading have not scored against, let alone beaten, the fakes at home in the last 4 attempts and those games have been excruciatingly awful things to watch for all concerned ending 0-0, 0-1, 0-0 and 0-1 (so quite why SKY would want this total arse of a fixture is beyond me but then I suppose they only ever seem to televise our home games against Ipswich and QPR)

Lastly, you'll all be relieved to know there is no forecast of fog expected but instead there is a forecast for very heavy rain, sleet and snow starting tomorrow lunchtime and going on continuously well into the evening in the Reading area - so be prepared that the game could be called off late or even abandoned (and then re-arranged for a much more civil Tuesday night (or perhaps Saturday if both clubs have an FA Cup Saturday to fill in February or March)).

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Queen's Park Rangers (h) sponsored by a last minute howler

by Gunny Fishcake » 11 Jan 2017 18:39

[quote="Sutekh"]

And it's a return for the wonderful idea of Thursday night football that some bright spark at SKY decided would be the next best way to screw with the English fixture list and hack off as many supporters as possible. Just wish the FL/PL would turn around and tell these TV companies just what to do with their stupid ideas sometimes but as everyone is out for what they can get that'll never happen.

Hear hear !

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 11 Jan 2017 19:58

Being on Sky I would imagine they'll do everything possible to make sure the game goes ahead to completion.

Whitley Hoops

by Whitley Hoops » 11 Jan 2017 21:46

Think we need a big win at some point to prove our credentials as a potential promotion team and I think Q.P.R are there for the taking tbh so hopeful of a 4-0 reading win but expecting a 2-1 anything less will be a disappointment though. :?

Footballfan2017

by Footballfan2017 » 12 Jan 2017 10:50

Didn't QPR change their logo earlier this season? The one on the site looks like the one created by FB when he tried to make QPR a "boutique" club!

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 12 Jan 2017 11:14

tidus_mi2 Being on Sky I would imagine they'll do everything possible to make sure the game goes ahead to completion.

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... 14639.aspx

Club seem fiercely confident that the game will go ahead. The plan to grit after the rain sounds interesting though - good luck with that in between rush hour and stadium traffic!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jan 2017 12:01

I'm sure it will - we re very soft down this way. This kind of weather is pretty much standard fare in northern holes like Preston and they just get on with it and play the game

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Jan 2017 12:13

Z175
tidus_mi2 Being on Sky I would imagine they'll do everything possible to make sure the game goes ahead to completion.

Club seem fiercely confident that the game will go ahead. The plan to grit after the rain sounds interesting though - good luck with that in between rush hour and stadium traffic!

Can someone tell me what the fuss is about? It's not even raining...

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Jan 2017 12:19

John Smith
Z175

Can someone tell me what the fuss is about? It's not even raining...

Heavy snow forecast for Reading between 6 and 8pm!

26-10-06

by 26-10-06 » 12 Jan 2017 12:27

Going be fine, chill out!!

Snow between 6 and 8 will not put the game in danger, especially as it won't settle. (he says confidently!)

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 12 Jan 2017 12:32

Surely this thread should be sponsored by the impending massive apocalyptic thundersnowstorm.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Jan 2017 12:42

26-10-06 Going be fine, chill out!!

Snow between 6 and 8 will not put the game in danger, especially as it won't settle. (he says confidently!)

Now heavy snow forecast from 5 through to 8pm. Sky might be able to bully the footballing authorities but I doubt they can override police advice/requirement. Could be a risk that pitch playable but game still postponed due to travel hazards.

I'm now thinking I might end up wasting £9 on parking two home games in succession. :cry:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jan 2017 14:14

most forecasts suggested all rain and snow will have passed by 6pm

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Jan 2017 19:09

Reading XI : Habsi, Gunter, Moore L, Blackett, Berg, Obita, Swift, Williams, Kelly, Beerens, Kermorgant, McCleary

Subs : Moore S, Weiser, Meite, Cooper, Samuel, Evans, Watson

QPR XI : Smithies, Lynch, Bidwell, Mackie, Wszolek, Hall, Onuoha, Furlong, Sylla, Manning, Luongo

Subs : Ingram, Doughty, Khayati, Shodipo, Ngbakoto, LuaLua, Comley

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Jan 2017 19:11

There will be a minutes silence in memory of Graham Taylor who died earlier today

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 12 Jan 2017 19:15

Well my dad was struggling to get through the traffic so gave up on going to the match and by virtue of that, I am skipping the match too...since he's my ride :|

Last time I missed a game as a season ticket holder we beat Millwall 5-0 so fingers crossed and all that.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 12 Jan 2017 19:26

It's a special kind of cold here tonight.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 12 Jan 2017 19:28

Sutekh Reading XI : Habsi, Gunter, Moore L, Blackett, Berg, Obita, Swift, Williams, Kelly, Beerens, Kermorgant, McCleary

QPR XI : Smithies, Lynch, Bidwell, Mackie, Wszolek, Hall, Onuoha, Furlong, Sylla, Manning, Luongo

Gotta win if we've started with 12 men.

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 12 Jan 2017 19:38

Great message to all the youngsters that Wieser makes the bench after getting sent off two days earlier, keep plugging away kids

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Jan 2017 19:49

peterroyal76
Sutekh Reading XI : Habsi, Gunter, Moore L, Blackett, Berg, Obita, Swift, Williams, Kelly, Beerens, Kermorgant, McCleary

Gotta win if we've started with 12 men.

That'll teach me to use cut and paste :oops:

Blackett is the one not playing, in fact he's totally vanished from the squad - wonder if there's an injury...

163 posts