BFTG - Burton (A)

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG - Burton (A)

by CountryRoyal » 07 May 2017 16:35

Great way to end the regular season with a full, inflatable packed terrace. New ground, sunshine and 4 goals :D

We started very brightly and got the early goal and then we seemed to be happy to sit back and try and hit them on the break. Great goal from Obita :lol: surely didn't mean that.

A lot of our play was just a bit off the boil, too many misplaced passes (Kelly being particularly guilty - most notably the one towards the end when it was an easy square pass to Kermorgant who surely would have scored) and we were a bit too impatient at times getting it forward. My only real criticism would be at times when we're breaking in the opposition third we too often look to get it into the wide areas where as at times there were good options running through the middle.

Not that it really matters though, but fair play to both sets of players for giving it a real go. I thought Burton played some really nice stuff at times in the middle, especially counter attacking, let down by poor defending and lack of quality in front of goal which is really where it matters.

Onto the playoffs now!

harry
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Burton (A)

by harry » 07 May 2017 17:22

Stephen!

Steve!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 May 2017 17:27

harry Stephen!

Steve!

"Stephen would have scored that, Stephen would have scored that la la la la"

:lol:

Thought he was a good sport, fair play to him.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 May 2017 18:03

Unbelievable place Burton. Absolutely no signposting for the their ground but football signposting for St Georges Park everywhere :lol:

Has to be said though that it's great to see a ground that gives plenty of standing and proves it's perfectly doable in this day and age - although I do hope we don't play any league games there next season.

Standard Reading performance in managing to maintain control of the game whilst letting the opposition do most of the attacking.

And then there was the uncertainty of whether the team wanted to play Fulham or not when they let Burton back into things

Shame Yann's overhead didn't go in it deserved to - and really thought Williams shot was obviously over the line. Could have won that 6-2 then.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 07 May 2017 18:05

CountryRoyal
harry Stephen!

Steve!

"Stephen would have scored that, Stephen would have scored that la la la la"

:lol:

Thought he was a good sport, fair play to him.

Agreed. He applauded the away end at the end of the game.
Would have loved them to have got a corner right at the end. It would have finished the game perfectly as we'd have all been chanting for him to go up for it.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 07 May 2017 18:11

Sutekh Unbelievable place Burton. Absolutely no signposting for the their ground but football signposting for St Georges Park everywhere :lol:

There's technology that's been available in recent years that might help you :wink:

Sutekh Shame Yann's overhead didn't go in it deserved to - and really thought Williams shot was obviously over the line. Could have won that 6-2 then.

Yann looks like he likes an overhead. Almost took off GMac's head earlier in the season trying to finish his own penalty rebound. Just unlucky this time the defender was positioned well to head it clear.
Would like to see a replay of Danny's. I thought it crossed the line.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 07 May 2017 18:34

Sutekh Unbelievable place Burton. Absolutely no signposting for the their ground but football signposting for St Georges Park everywhere :lol:

Has to be said though that it's great to see a ground that gives plenty of standing and proves it's perfectly doable in this day and age - although I do hope we don't play any league games there next season.

Standard Reading performance in managing to maintain control of the game whilst letting the opposition do most of the attacking.

And then there was the uncertainty of whether the team wanted to play Fulham or not when they let Burton back into things

Shame Yann's overhead didn't go in it deserved to - and really thought Williams shot was obviously over the line. Could have won that 6-2 then.

Thought the way into the stadium was well concealed as well
Just past the bins and round the other side of the brick wall!

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 07 May 2017 18:51

Thought it was a good day out actually.
If you have your sat nav set for the ground, does it really matter if its sign posted or not? :roll:

Anyhow. Lovely little ground with friendly fans and stewards. Burton's terrace was similar in size to Brentford.

The Beech pub was set up for away fans. Perfect location a few hundred yards down the road from the ground. Had an outside bar and a burger van. Lovely in the sunshine.
The game itself was an open affair and although we looked a bit sloppy in defence at times, Burton are a tidy outfit.
Fair play to "Steve" Bywater took the banter well. It was great to see him interacting and laughing with away fans.
Something else I didn't think I would see this season, a player smaller than Kelly :lol:

If we don't proceed through the play offs I will definitely return.

Oh and I thought it was over the line!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 May 2017 20:34

What is a "Sat-Nav"?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 07 May 2017 20:39

Snowball What is a "Sat-Nav"?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 May 2017 22:34

A real football ground. Filled with real supporters. Friendly stewards too.

Finally the clinical finishing we've been waiting for.

Looked like a trial match for the playoffs in terms of formation. That won;t be the starting 11 next Saturday.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 07 May 2017 23:44

Royality creeps In Something else I didn't think I would see this season, a player smaller than Kelly :lol:

Joe Sbarra. He looked like a schoolboy .... ..... only smaller

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 08 May 2017 09:14

harry
Royality creeps In Something else I didn't think I would see this season, a player smaller than Kelly :lol:

"Liam Kelly, he's bigger than you!" :D

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 08 May 2017 09:21

A really enjoyable away day yesterday. 3 points, a good bit of sunshine, inflatable fun, a terrace, sensible stewarding, and a good bit of banter. It just shows why so many people yearn to have terraces back, more spontineity, and a better atmosphere.

A couple of really good goals for us, both individually (Obita) and team (Yann), and could have been a good few more - Yann's overhead off the line, the "goal" through Bywater's legs, and also the one Obita(?) nearly got on the end of after Beerens put in a superb cross just inside the 6 yard line.

Burton were good value for at least one goal, given the chances they created, both of their own doing and the chances we presented them with. They played some nice football at times, and fair play to them they've had a great season given the size of the club.

All in all a very entertaining game

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 08 May 2017 10:05

harry

Loved it when he let a ball run off for a corner despite clearly having been the last one to touch it. RIght in front of the away fans as well.
Schoolboy error. Literally....

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 08 May 2017 14:27

a bit too impatient at times getting it forward

:shock: :o ill take that after some of those early season pass fests

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1