BFTG Millwall

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Millwall

by Hound » 23 Aug 2017 08:49

Really pleased we got through actually

Is a great competition in terms of allowing some of the fringe players to get game time and see the likes of Rinomhota get a few starts etc

Stam managing McCleary well I think - in the meantime Popa seems to be doing a decent job covering

Jaap shouldn't let Quinn go out on loan. With Swift injured we haven't that much depth in CM. esp with Joey being injured for every other game

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Aug 2017 09:00

Have to really object / disagree with Bobby on several things.
1. Thought Jakkola was very comfortable with the ball at his feet, never saw him in any difficulties but he was helped by the fact that the players in front played very intelligently. Only criticism was that a couple of times he had the chance to release the ball quickly to Popa or Barrow and he didn't
2. Illori is a classy player. Ideal for our style as he can play. He had a couple of feisty forwards to contend with and he stood up well, even when Morison was consistently playing the man rather than the ball.
3. Clement will be a star. Works hard, wins tackles, distributes well, plays anywhere. Probably our best signing this window based on home performances.

Jim Royal

by Jim Royal » 23 Aug 2017 09:10

windermereROYAL
Snowball Just reading elsewhere that someone thought this a boring game.

You have to be kidding me. no doubt it was boring on the radio..

I saw someone on twitter thanking Reading buses for putting an earlier bus on back to town as they said it was boring. The Gillingham game was desperately boring in the previous round except for Kelly's cracker.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Aug 2017 09:17

On the pitch:
Echo the sentiments of others re. Popa and Bacuna: they were the standout players for me with clear quality. Gunter looked decent enough on the left.

Off the pitch:
Millwall fan in the home end celebrating a goal...and no one doing anything about it

Jim Royal

by Jim Royal » 23 Aug 2017 09:19

John Smith
Off the pitch:
Millwall fan in the home end celebrating a goal...and no one doing anything about it

Surely this is a good thing?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Aug 2017 09:20

Really enjoyed that.

Jaakola - fine

Rimonhota - incredible industry to win a few balls he had no right to. A few questions over his passing and positioning.
Ilori - fine
Evans - good goal, best game from him all season. Very important for getting the ball up the pitch.
Axel - he's come on leaps and bounds in the last year. Really tenacious and suited Ilori well, although concentration went a bit at the end. Better than Cooper.
Gunter - not his usual self but that's understandable, on the wrong side of the pitch with another right footer. Did well enough without impressing.

Bacuna - very impressive, just ghosted past players and struck the ball well. Stuck in two minds for their goal.
Quinn - useful

McCleary - easing himself back into it.
Popa - good game except for his shooting
Smith - clearly not good enough but took his goal well and did a decent job of teeing up others.

Clement - looks really good. Let's find him a position.
Barrow - much livelier than McCleary.
Blackett - fine
Loader - good experience for him

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Aug 2017 09:21

Jim Royal
windermereROYAL
Snowball Just reading elsewhere that someone thought this a boring game.

I saw someone on twitter thanking Reading buses for putting an earlier bus on back to town as they said it was boring. The Gillingham game was desperately boring in the previous round except for Kelly's cracker.

Neither game was boring though.

russyb

by russyb » 23 Aug 2017 09:24

SCIAG Really enjoyed that.

Jaakola - fine

Rimonhota - incredible industry to win a few balls he had no right to. A few questions over his passing and positioning.
Ilori - fine
Evans - good goal, best game from him all season. Very important for getting the ball up the pitch.
Axel - he's come on leaps and bounds in the last year. Really tenacious and suited Ilori well, although concentration went a bit at the end. Better than Cooper.
Gunter - not his usual self but that's understandable, on the wrong side of the pitch with another right footer. Did well enough without impressing.

Bacuna - very impressive, just ghosted past players and struck the ball well. Stuck in two minds for their goal.
Quinn - useful

McCleary - easing himself back into it.
Popa - good game except for his shooting
Smith - clearly not good enough but took his goal well and did a decent job of teeing up others.

Clement - looks really good. Let's find him a position.
Barrow - much livelier than McCleary.
Blackett - fine
Loader - good experience for him

Agree with this, however Gunter was at fault for not closing down their player for the goal, he stood off him when and gave him too much space for the shot. It was a good goal from them also though.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 23 Aug 2017 09:30

There are some fcking morons around if you genuinely believe that was boring. I thought it was one of the better games, Reading dominated, actually scored a few goals and were pressing Millwall throughout and it was only in the 2nd half that they really got more into the game (their goal in the 1st half accepted).

Really enjoyed it, people need to think back 2-3 seasons to really appreciate what boring was. Remember we had about 2-3 games in quick succession of 0 (ZERO) shots. Of just nothingness, pure silence and just sat there watching drivel.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 23 Aug 2017 09:34

Jim Royal
John Smith
Off the pitch:

Surely this is a good thing?

Indeed it is. If the Millwall fan didn't deliberately wind up the home fans then just let it go. I have to confess that I would not openly celebrate if I was in the opposition end, learning to sit on your hands and do a stifled "Yes!" when score is pretty much essential if you are going to sit 'wrong'.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Aug 2017 09:34

Mixed bag for me. I posted last week that I like Stam's brand of football and it was evident again last night. We bossed the game and for the most part looked comfortable on the ball.

I thought Popa and Clement were a class apart. Popa just ran, and ran, and ran, and ran - I like this guy more every time I see him - very skilful, quick, and harasses defenders non-stop. And if you said to a neutral 'which player out there has come through the Ajax academy?' you'd point straight at Clement. A very good signing.

Bacuna had a very good game, but for me he gave the ball away sloppily a few times, and his sometimes lazy positioning will hurt us against the good Championship sides.

Pleased for Smith that he got his goal, but I expect we won't see him now again this season. Looked a class below Millwall's defence. Rinomhota didn't really do much for me either - seemed to burst into life a few times, but otherwise, in a game where Stam had evidently asked the team to spread the play wide, he was pretty invisible.

Ilori had a rare shaky game, but I like him. Looks very comfortable on the ball and imho won't be with us for two more seasons - once he finds his feet again properly (he's barely played for a couple of seasons), his class will show.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Aug 2017 09:36

bobby1413 Remember we had about 2-3 games in quick succession of 0 (ZERO) shots.

I don't remember this. I remember us being woeful, but not that

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 23 Aug 2017 09:44

genome
bobby1413 Remember we had about 2-3 games in quick succession of 0 (ZERO) shots.

I don't remember this. I remember us being woeful, but not that

That's because you've blocked it out - very sensible. (It may have been 1 shot on target in each game)

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Aug 2017 09:46

bobby1413 There are some fcking morons around if you genuinely believe that was boring. I thought it was one of the better games, Reading dominated, actually scored a few goals and were pressing Millwall throughout and it was only in the 2nd half that they really got more into the game (their goal in the 1st half accepted).

Really enjoyed it, people need to think back 2-3 seasons to really appreciate what boring was. Remember we had about 2-3 games in quick succession of 0 (ZERO) shots. Of just nothingness, pure silence and just sat there watching drivel.

Very true. You have to be some sort of prick to pick holes in that for £7

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Aug 2017 09:53

John Smith
bobby1413 There are some fcking morons around if you genuinely believe that was boring. I thought it was one of the better games, Reading dominated, actually scored a few goals and were pressing Millwall throughout and it was only in the 2nd half that they really got more into the game (their goal in the 1st half accepted).

Very true. You have to be some sort of prick to pick holes in that for £7

I agree it wasn't boring, but I'm not sure the ticket price dictates what we might expect to see on the pitch.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Aug 2017 10:02

I'll tell you what was boring, having "fans" on BBCRB during extra time who'd left early. Despite Dellor's best efforts to try to make it sound dull the sense that stuff was going on seeped through

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Aug 2017 10:05

I think you mean this and this. Utterly dreadful matches, but we did have a few shots.

Jim Royal

by Jim Royal » 23 Aug 2017 10:20

Nameless
Jim Royal
windermereROYAL

Neither game was boring though.

I was at the Gills game - it was a bore fest. Can't comment last night as I wasn't there.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Aug 2017 10:22

Already makes it less boring then

Etc
Etc

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 23 Aug 2017 10:24

Silver Fox I'll tell you what was boring, having "fans" on BBCRB during extra time who'd left early. Despite Dellor's best efforts to try to make it sound dull the sense that stuff was going on seeped through

I didn't understand people walking out, almost in protest it seemed or in abject resignation. It had the sense that we were 3-0 down with 10 minutes to go on a cold wintery night. As it was we had played well, and had it all to play for still into extra time. I can understand a handful of people going - with young kids, long trips, the last train, etc...

SCIAG I think you mean this and this. Utterly dreadful matches, but we did have a few shots.

Honestly can't remember specifically but probably about right. I just remember there were numerous games were we barely registered a shot or even threatened. I also remember it may have been about the time that that the Reading players struggled with throw ins, taking an age to throw the ball back in. No intensity at all.