BFTG - Birmingham City

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

BFTG - Birmingham City

by Top Flight » 26 Aug 2017 18:09

Well I'm already back from the game mainly because I am not back. I'm staying the night in Brum.

That was simply an outstanding performance by us. Just like the Villa game. Birmingham hardly had a touch of the ball. We controlled it from start to finish, were very patient and took our chances when they came. Very impressive.

Everyone played well.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

Re: BFTG - Birmingham City

by John Madejski's Wallet » 26 Aug 2017 20:51

On last train back....Good performance all round and impressed by Bacuna's nice play on the breaks.

We still look vulnerable, but 3/5 at the back really suits us. More of that please

Barrow denied me £44 with that embarrassing miss and Kelly denied me £48 with his sitter too.

The fukkers.

This is all

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Aug 2017 20:55

That was a much better performance after being abysmal at Preston and QPR, from the start we played our game and Brum just sat back and let us.

For a home team Brum were awful, pretty well no pressing from the front which allowed us to control the game. First half we should of gone ahead with the JvdB header that went wide, and although we're a long way away the offside for Barrow looked close.

Second half we dominated again and Barrow missed an absolute sitter, all he had to do was pass it in but somehow knocked it wide. Shortly after we got the goal and that was it, Brum really didn't look like coming back, and our second from Evans just killed it. The home fans left in droves after that goal and there weren't many left at the end. Evans was actually in a similar position and not picked out a few minutes earlier so it's great he got his goal

As I said for a home team Brum were just awful, probably slightly better than Villa but they will struggle if they play like that.

Decent support albeit with some uncomfortable singing about Redknap, and a good pre and post match at Hennesey's.

Fluff

by Fluff » 26 Aug 2017 21:18

alfie9

by alfie9 » 26 Aug 2017 21:40

The second half was superb. The team showed a lot of desire to keep the pressure levels up after two very poor misses, which is indicative of the improving mentality within the squad. Both goals were very well worked. This team is on the cusp of something special.

Only other thought is that I would rather persist with Bod, who impressed me today, than spend 8 million on another average Championship striker. While a big name striker is tempting, I hope we only go in for the right price.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Aug 2017 21:41

As the away side that was an outstanding performance today. Keeping the home fans quiet. Dominating play for long periods. Once we took the lead and the game opened up. There was only ever going to be one winner.

Bacuna and Barrow both added something to the side today. Jaap's project is really starting to take shape. Bodvarsson is proving a good signing as well.

Was impressed with Birmingham's no 19, Jacques Maghoma. Very hard working and covered the pitch effortlessly.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Aug 2017 00:34

Lower West
Was impressed with Birmingham's no 19, Jacques Maghoma. Very hard working and covered the pitch effortlessly.

Agreed , every time this pineapple head got the ball he gave us problems, just as well the rest of the team were shite.
very good team performance from us. agree with a previous poster. all the panicking about getting in a new striker, but I ask . what can they bring to the team that we don`t already have?
Bod led the line superbly today. holding up the ball well and working his nuts off. a very well taken goal and would have had a second but for a blatant shove in the back when going up for a point blank header.
It`s careful that we don`t get too excited about one result against what appeared to be a poor Birmingham side, but it was hugely impressive the way we were over them like a rash when they had the ball, but played good controlled football when we had it,
A word about Manonne, he looks a real bargain. while he didn`t have much to do today he didn`t give me nervous moments that AHH always did when he had the ball at his feet. 7
Gunter . has his critics , a guy slagging him off in the pub tonight, so he knows better then all the managers that have him as first choice right back, solid ,7
Ilori. He`s always the kind of player you don`t really notice, but does an effective job. 7
McShane. held the defence together well, 7
Moore. solid, very good last ditch tackle late on the maintain our one goal lead. took a knock towards the end, happy for a international break . 8
Blackett. one of his better games. always right up the drainpipe of the Brum players. impressive. 8

Joey. biting into the tackle. didn`t give anyone time on the ball. unlucky to be subbed IMO. 8
Bacuna. played a little too deep on occasions. but got forward to have a hand in the 1st goal, could be a bargain. 7
Kelly, surely destined for better things. a ball of energy, always looking for the ball. 9 (would have been a 10 if he could finish)
Barrow. Good player, decent performance, but my late granny could have scored that. 6

Now the Bod,
If we are going to spunk out 8-10m on a new striker we need to look to see if we have one on our books already.
Yes its only one game. but he ticked all the boxes. held it up well , good in the air. and as stated, scored one and should have had another, a solid 9 for me.

Walking back to the station listening to the Birmingham fans was amusing. time wasting at 0-0, really?
And our bright orange shirts dazzled them. tongue in cheek there I think . lol.

Lastly. the journey up was a mare, train absolutely rammed because Euston was closed for 2 days, coming back was a bit better but not much,
All in all a good day at the office.
Hope those c*nts at West ham don`t come sniffing again!!!
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 27 Aug 2017 09:51, edited 2 times in total.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 27 Aug 2017 07:17

Very pleased with the result and agree with the last poster re: Jon Dadi, Stam has again done some shrewd business so far and hopefully it is starting to show in the performances. Wouldn't bother me too much if we don't bring in another striker.

A Birmingham supporting friend of mine was at the game and sent me a text. He said we were well deserving of the win and should have won by 4. Said we looked very good.

Out of interest, is Mendes injured? Not on the bench again with Sam Smith there instead

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 27 Aug 2017 07:43

My two pennies worth.
Praise where it's due after a lot of negativity. I thought Blackett was immense today as was Moore.
Bacuna and Barrow have brought in the extra pace that was missing which gave Kelly a lot more Impetus.
( I felt previously that Swift was starting to hold play up more and more but that's my opinion).

Overall a positive, enjoyable display and if they can step up a gear against better teams we'll be there at the end of the season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Aug 2017 08:01

From the games I've seen Blackett looks a lot better this year at LB. going to be tough for Obita to come back in

Predictable whinge from 'arry. Never his fault is it?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Aug 2017 09:32

Where are all the moaners and STG's?

It's awful quiet on here

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 27 Aug 2017 09:57

Sounds like an excellent performance and obviously result as well, similar to the Villa game by the sound of it. Hopefully we can add consistency to our game then we can look forward to a good season.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Aug 2017 10:48

Only managed to watch the second half but have some notes anyway.

The ref seemed inconsistent.
Birmingham couldn't counter to save their lives despite it being their tactic from the whistle.
Bacuna blocked a lot of long passes from midfield. He really stopped their momentum.
McCleary, again, showed how quality he is in a brief cameo. The Birmingham defenders kept back off I really though he was going to thunder one in like he was playing against qpr.
Bodvarsson held the ball well but I felt our tactics don't suit him as well as they could. He's too slow to be tracking back that far or standing out on the flanks. Obviously it worked a few times with him (rather skillfully) knocking the ball back to oncoming players but I feel he would be even better standing with his back to the goal in line with the last man. We have the speed to make that work.
Our 3 CBs look so comfortable.
Blackett, again, at times looks phenomenal on the ball. Confident, skillfull and dangerous.
Kelly was energetic and could rightly be viewed as the highest potential CM in the championship.
Barrow should have scored. He started the attack and looked like finishing it.
Good goal from Evans.

A question for anyone. A Birmingham player pushed rather obviously (Blackett?) Who was shield the ball out for a goal kick into the ball. How was that not a foul? He was essentially barged into and a corner was given.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 27 Aug 2017 14:19

NewCorkSeth Only managed to watch the second half but have some notes anyway.
A question for anyone. A Birmingham player pushed rather obviously (Blackett?) Who was shield the ball out for a goal kick into the ball. How was that not a foul? He was essentially barged into and a corner was given.

Possibly a referee finally applying the law as it is written? If you are simply 'shielding' the ball you are not in possession and so you are effectively obstructing the opposition player. If he chooses to go through you to get to the ball then maybe that is fine?

I know, that is not the urgent interpretation. However, it is time that this ridiculous 'shielding' of the ball without ever touching it to bring it under control is stopped. It always used to be obstruction and draw a free kick.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Aug 2017 14:35

West Stand Man
NewCorkSeth Only managed to watch the second half but have some notes anyway.

Possibly a referee finally applying the law as it is written? If you are simply 'shielding' the ball you are not in possession and so you are effectively obstructing the opposition player. If he chooses to go through you to get to the ball then maybe that is fine?

I know, that is not the urgent interpretation. However, it is time that this ridiculous 'shielding' of the ball without ever touching it to bring it under control is stopped. It always used to be obstruction and draw a free kick.

Its an interesting question certainly. I would have thought making contact with a player not in possession of the ball is equally a foul?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 27 Aug 2017 17:30

Looking at some of the comments on their message board...
http://bcfcforum.co.uk/forum/52887/
...it's curious so see that are convinced that we are a poor team who are being tipped to struggle this season.

I appreciate few like our style of play, and 3rd place last year did seem to many like an over-achievement, but I find it weird to think that we are still seen as strugglers in this division.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 Aug 2017 20:15

Pandoras Box Bacuna and Barrow have brought in the extra pace that was missing which gave Kelly a lot more Impetus.

Perhaps Swift would have have looked a lot better in yesterdays formation. 5 at the back with JVB and Bacuna shielding. Meant the team looked very solid.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Aug 2017 23:13

tmesis Looking at some of the comments on their message board...
http://bcfcforum.co.uk/forum/52887/
...it's curious so see that are convinced that we are a poor team who are being tipped to struggle this season.

I appreciate few like our style of play, and 3rd place last year did seem to many like an over-achievement, but I find it weird to think that we are still seen as strugglers in this division.

Last season we had loads of fans last season convinced we were lucky, over-achieving, we would fade away etc.

It's either true and it speaks volumes for Stam's managerial credentials or it's not true and we'll continue to do well, let them think whatever they want, the only thing that matters is finishing position.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Aug 2017 23:23

Bloody strange only one page in BFTG. moaners have nothing to contribute this weekend, they must be gutted.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 28 Aug 2017 00:19

A nice easy walk across town for me one of my easiest games of the season. Beers in town first with some very pessimistic Blues supporting mates got the day off to a good start, which only improved as the game started.

We were comfortable from start to finish and it always looked like a clean sheet as long as we didn't give anything silly away at the back - which we didn't. The quality of chances got better as the game went on and it was a case of when, not if, we would score. Barrow will be grateful to Big Daddy for getting the goal so soon after his miss.

I commented to my Blues mates afterwards that the little number 19 - Maghoma - looked their only threat, and whilst they agreed they also said he'd been awful prior to yesterday.

Mannone looked very assured and made one cracking save. The back 4 with McShane in front nullified Blues very efficiently - special mention to Blackett who had a very solid game. Bacuna was great and controlled the midfield tempo well. Joey quietly effective, Kelly excellent, Barrow decent. Big Daddy up top was superb, linked the play, held the ball, did everything you want from a big target man (including some very nifty skill at times too) - took his goal well and probably should have had a pen for the blatant shove in the back when jumping for a header