BFTG - Ramming the Rams

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Ramming the Rams

by Lower West » 05 Nov 2017 10:16

marlowuk Absolutely. We also looked good against Forest and - against conventional wisdom - we were pretty good against Middlesborough too! So what has changed?

Derby started the game far too open nor pressed us when we had possession at the back. We had space to play our passing game and dominate the game. Scoring two early goals then sucked the life out of them. Derby losing their Captain and a key defender early on was a contributory factor as well.

Reading have still to master the art of unlocking teams such as Middlesborough who sit deep and defend from the kick off.

Arguably our style is better suited to counter attacking and a consequence playing away.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 05 Nov 2017 10:50

CountryRoyal
gdroyal
maffff Ah, missed the word full.

Don't think he ever got a start did he in a league game. Such a shame because he was on fire in that game,

Has 7 goals in 15 games this season, albeit at a lower level.

Also, he's not playing as a winger. He's in Swift's position now.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 05 Nov 2017 12:40

Well let's hope Stam has learnt his lesson and that we see the back of that awful rubbish we were witnessing. Much more pace and players doing what their best at. Don't get the Beerens haters....he could have had 2 assists that were quite frankly two of the best passes you will see at this level. Edwards reminds me of Gilberto Silva.....you wonder what the f%ck he does but take him out the team and you soon notice. I think he's been such a key player for us last 2 games. All in all I hope he persists with this system......Swift has been "released" to do what he does best and we are using the pace as we should. Bacuna has energised us as well. Hope I'm not tempting fate but if we can put some kind of run together and get to the transfer window for a striker, is top 6 out of reach? The blasted international break really has come at the wrong time.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2017 12:54

Of course the top 6 is in reach, an 8pt gap with 2/3rds of the season to go is nothing. We need to carry this form on for a prolonged period though.

Positive signs.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 05 Nov 2017 17:09

Stranded Of course the top 6 is in reach, an 8pt gap with 2/3rds of the season to go is nothing. We need to carry this form on for a prolonged period though.

Positive signs.

We need 74-75 points for 6th therefore 56-57 points from 30 games. Do-able but it's damn near automatic promotion form required from here til the end of the season.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 05 Nov 2017 18:39

Ascotexgunner Well let's hope Stam has learnt his lesson and that we see the back of that awful rubbish we were witnessing. Much more pace and players doing what their best at. Don't get the Beerens haters....he could have had 2 assists that were quite frankly two of the best passes you will see at this level. Edwards reminds me of Gilberto Silva.....you wonder what the f%ck he does but take him out the team and you soon notice. I think he's been such a key player for us last 2 games. All in all I hope he persists with this system......Swift has been "released" to do what he does best and we are using the pace as we should. Bacuna has energised us as well. Hope I'm not tempting fate but if we can put some kind of run together and get to the transfer window for a striker, is top 6 out of reach? The blasted international break really has come at the wrong time.

Top 6 isn't really out of reach before January. If we keep going it's what happens from there.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2017 19:45

Fox Talbot
Stranded Of course the top 6 is in reach, an 8pt gap with 2/3rds of the season to go is nothing. We need to carry this form on for a prolonged period though.

Positive signs.

We need 74-75 points for 6th therefore 56-57 points from 30 games. Do-able but it's damn near automatic promotion form required from here til the end of the season.

Thank you for clarifying my point :wink:

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Nov 2017 20:53

Fox Talbot

Positive signs.

With results this season. Sixth position in the league is up for grabs. Reckon it could go down to the wire or even goal difference etc. There's little between many of the teams.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 06 Nov 2017 09:22

Stranded
Fox Talbot

Positive signs.

Thank you for clarifying my point :wink:

We just every team to attack us and let us play our game from now till the end of the season.

Have we thought about what we'll do if any of them....... defend?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 06 Nov 2017 09:26

Wow wow wow. Never been prouder to be a Royal. Who was saying we aren't Derby's bogey team anymore?

Roll on Wolves - can't wait to see how we compare against Sky's new favourites.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 06 Nov 2017 09:39

There are some very fickle fans here! 2 wins in a row and its all good again I thought it would take at least 4 or 5

congrats to stam and the team though finally getting results for there good performances. For me Bacuna is the difference he is easily a premier league standard and we will do very well to keep hold of him in years to come. His pace strength and technical ability sets him apart from most in this league. Better than Williams

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 06 Nov 2017 11:54

Apologies AXG, I not rounding on you but your post is a good starting point to pick up on

Ascotexgunner Well let's hope Stam has learnt his lesson and that we see the back of that awful rubbish we were witnessing. Much more pace and players doing what their best at.

More to do with key players getting up to speed after injury than any change of style or system
Ascotexgunner Don't get the Beerens haters....he could have had 2 assists that were quite frankly two of the best passes you will see at this level.

He's normally very lightweight, slow and easily dispossessed - not great qualities for a front man when the team needs the ball to be held up to relieve pressure. At Derby though he was prepared to get stuck in although he did shirk a couple of headers when he knew he'd get clouted
Ascotexgunner Edwards reminds me of Gilberto Silva.....you wonder what the f%ck he does but take him out the team and you soon notice. I think he's been such a key player for us last 2 games.

Absolutely, all those who question what he brings to the team just needed to watch his performance this week. He was everywhere and even popped up on the right wing to set up Barrow for a tap in
Ascotexgunner All in all I hope he persists with this system......Swift has been "released" to do what he does best and we are using the pace as we should.

The system hasn't changed just players coming back as highlighted by...
Ascotexgunner Bacuna has energised us as well.
Hope I'm not tempting fate but if we can put some kind of run together and get to the transfer window for a striker, is top 6 out of reach?

If our recent luck with injuries ever turns then there's no reason why we can't go on a good run of results. At the moment I'd also look for a left back although, if Richards keeps playing and maintains the level he did here then that may not be such a priority
Ascotexgunner The blasted international break really has come at the wrong time.

After the game I thought the same but, on reflection, it may actually be good as it will give another couple of weeks to clear up the injuries, we may even have the luxury of a relatively full squad to choose from against Wolves

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 06 Nov 2017 12:11

Style hadn't changed, the reason we won the game is because they played the` Jaap way` to a very high standard. The movement off the ball from the back four and midfield when trying to pass the ball out was superb and the platform to start attacks.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Nov 2017 12:37

LoyalRoyal22 Style hadn't changed, the reason we won the game is because they played the` Jaap way` to a very high standard. The movement off the ball from the back four and midfield when trying to pass the ball out was superb and the platform to start attacks.

It's so obvious it's untrue. We struggle going forward because there is no movement, what happens when people actually make a oxf*rd effort to get in to space and make runs off the ball - oh look, you drag defenders out of position and create opportunities.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Nov 2017 13:12

CountryRoyal
LoyalRoyal22 Style hadn't changed, the reason we won the game is because they played the` Jaap way` to a very high standard. The movement off the ball from the back four and midfield when trying to pass the ball out was superb and the platform to start attacks.

It's so obvious it's untrue. We struggle going forward because there is no movement, what happens when people actually make a oxf*rd effort to get in to space and make runs off the ball - oh look, you drag defenders out of position and create opportunities.

yeah, the lack of movement against Boro was horrendous. Barrow coming back in made a big difference and hopefully Aluko now has a bit more confidence and will play to his capabilities

One thing that helps a lot against teams who sit back and defend, is having Yann back. Gives us that extra presence to aim for in the box that we can sling crosses in to if necessary - likelihood is he'll make something of one of them. Esp if Dadi is on the pitch as well. Also with Moore looking more dangerous and getting a couple of goals, plus McShane, Edwards and possibly Joey - there's quite a few targets for set pieces

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 06 Nov 2017 14:52

I was not at Derby but was at the Forest game and that was such a huge improvement to the dire fest we have been subjected to so far this season and this better form sees to have carried on to Saturday.

I really thought Stam was a gonner after Boro but all credit to him for changing things up and getting the team going again. They seemed sharper than they have been and looking for a pass forward in a way we have not seen in a good while. Far less pointless passing around in their own half. Interestingly the possession stats were well down at around 50% in both these games but we created far more. 70% possession is pointless if you create nothing.

But as others have said the acid test is when we meet another team who sits deep. Will we go back to type or has Stam found a way of unlocking defenses? Time will tell.

But in general in this division confidence is key and they should now be very confident going into the Wolves game. Wolves might well attack too - which could help us.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 06 Nov 2017 14:58

It was noticeable in the first half that Bacuna was dropping into centre half and one of the centre backs was going into midfield, which really stretched their midfield, simple but so effective to get out.

Thought Richards was superb, as was Bacuna and Swift. Amazing what a bit of pace and confidence does

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Nov 2017 15:10

gazzer, loyal royal It was noticeable in the first half that Bacuna was dropping into centre half and one of the centre backs was going into midfield, which really stretched their midfield, simple but so effective to get out.

Thought Richards was superb, as was Bacuna and Swift. Amazing what a bit of pace and confidence does

Thought this has been quite key and in the performance in the last 2 games - both Moore and McShane have clearly been told to bring the ball out more and try and push towards midfield - can often draw in 2 or 3 opposition players meaning more space elsewhere.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 06 Nov 2017 16:11

LWJ .

Hi mate - didn't see your flag on the highlights or in any of the photos from Pride Park on Saturday...

Are you a fraud?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 06 Nov 2017 16:41

John Smith
LWJ .

Hi mate - didn't see your flag on the highlights or in any of the photos from Pride Park on Saturday...

Are you a fraud?

That's a shame you would have seen it had you attended yourself.