BFTG Barnsley.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

BFTG Barnsley.

by windermereROYAL » 28 Nov 2017 22:01

Well that was a stroll in the park without being sensational. worse team to visit here this season by a country mile. ...
Liked what we did in the first half, but could do with a bit more urgency in our play, scored from a corner :shock: and a 25 yard scorcher from Joey after he was allowed a 20 yard dribble and unchallenged shot. https://twitter.com/TalkReading/status/ ... 9487349761
Got a bit sloppy in the 2nd half and maybe would have been punished by a better side. but I felt we were playing within ourselves.

Maybe 7 all round as far as the marks go but a shout out for Bodvarsson, hes just what we need holds it up decent in the air and works hard.
3 home wins, all under the lights, bring on Cardiff. :D

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Barnsley.

by Royal_jimmy » 28 Nov 2017 22:36

That was dull to watch (goals aside). Our overall performance was ok. Barnsley were awful, worst side to come here (even worse than Fulham).

I'm frustrated we didn't win by 5 or 6 but a wins a win. I think we look a nailed on midtable side.

Mostly 7s across the board and Barrow my MoM. 2 clean sheets in a row too :shock:
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 28 Nov 2017 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 28 Nov 2017 22:37

Don't know what to think of that game.

I was generally bored and we should been punished for sloppiness a few times second half.
But we won 3-0 and I can't really fault any of the players (though Kelly's passing was a bit off and Kermie pretty quiet).

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 28 Nov 2017 22:39

Just how bad were Barnsley first half :shock: . Its like they were bottom of the league and didn't want to be there. Just sat off us and let us play

To be fair to them, they were well in it second half and put us under good pressure at times

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Nov 2017 22:47

Yes an odd game.

I quite enjoyed it. First half, Barnsley sat off us we were able to pass through them and the movement was decent. Barnsley looked toothless and no surprise they made 3 subs at the start of the 2nd half.

Second half our midfield went missing and we really struggled to keep the ball but we still created at least 2 very good chances to make it 4. Barnsley could have got one back until JDBs header.

So yes disappointing yet a decent win.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Nov 2017 06:35

Dunno if the atmosphere made it feel worse than it was? Had a reserve game/friendly feel about it. You know it's bad when you can hear the players talking to each other.

Thought Joey was excellent first half. A couple of crunching tackles to get things going, and was finding space with good movement and some nice touches. Deserved his goal and great to see that beautiful smile of his.

Bodvarsson looked fresh and sharp when he came on, and he's surprisingly quick. Bacuna, Barrow and Edwards also had good games. And I thought Fryers looked decent for them.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Nov 2017 06:58

Last Six Games

3-0 Barnsley
0-0 Sheffield Wednesday
2-2 Bolton Away
0-2 Wolves
4-2 Derby Away
3-1 Forest

P6 W3 D2 L1 12-7 11 Points

1.83 ppg

“86.33 Season”

While it is too early to say we have turned the corner, two wins, two draws against mid table sides and an average of 1.5 ppg against two top six sides and a ppg that would normally make the playoffs with ease suggests things are more than on track.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2017 07:20

Well, job done and a vital 3 points

Barnsley were poop but credit to us for making them look so poor. I think they look to counter attack much like we do and we played quite deep to stop them doing that which led to a slightly odd game

We did look pretty dangerous coming forward and Jon Dadi was excellent and my motm

Edwards was particularly good first half, defence looked Solid but I thought Moore had a dodgy second half

No real complaints though. Evening matches are more fun that Saturday games

3 more points Saturday please

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 29 Nov 2017 08:22

Barnsley were the worst side I have seen at our place for quite some time.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2017 08:27

Off the top of my head, I think we've won 5/6 midweek home games this year (3/3 in the league - with a GD of 8/2) and none on a Saturday

Away, all our wins have been on Saturday and we haven't won one in midweek

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Nov 2017 08:56

Hound Off the top of my head, I think we've won 5/6 midweek home games this year (3/3 in the league - with a GD of 8/2) and none on a Saturday

As I recall, since 2014's 4-2 win at Leeds Reading have managed just 1 midweek league away win from about 20 games or so.

As the game. a great win tempered by a mediocre, at best, performance. Think Reading had an opportunity to go for it but instead just opted to defend the 2-0 lead rather than carrying on with trying to get forward.

But, to be honest, if Reading do that every week and win who cares?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Nov 2017 08:59

Winston Biscuit Barnsley were the worst side I have seen at our place for quite some time.

Since Villa?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2017 09:07

Sutekh
Hound Off the top of my head, I think we've won 5/6 midweek home games this year (3/3 in the league - with a GD of 8/2) and none on a Saturday

As I recall, since 2014's 4-2 win at Leeds Reading have managed just 1 midweek league away win from about 20 games or so.

As the game. a great win tempered by a mediocre, at best, performance. Think Reading had an opportunity to go for it but instead just opted to defend the 2-0 lead rather than carrying on with trying to get forward.

But, to be honest, if Reading do that every week and win who cares?

My take on the reason we defended the lead was more the fact we didn't want to get caught on the counter, whilst we were still looking quite dangerous on the counter ourselves.

That or we were just knackered

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 29 Nov 2017 09:10

Yep, funny old game. Barnsley were poor first-half, but I actually thought our play made them look even worse. Moore, Bacuna and Edwards were all superb first-half. In fact everyone was pretty decent. Second-half our play dropped with the temperature and they came close a couple of times. Felt sorry for Popa, who's waited so long for his chance. Didn't really do anything, bar an excellent shot before Bodvarsson's third, which probably made up for the bollocking he got from McShane after playing him into trouble. Really impressed with Bodvarsson's 40 minute cameo, he's a good back-up for Yann. Not the coldest game at the Mad Stad, but boy was that warm bus welcome.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Nov 2017 09:21

I enjoyed it, apart from the atmosphere.

It felt like watching some League Cup game against Newport or Accrington.

Joey was immense first half of first half, and was still my MoM at half-time. I like Edwards. I think these should be a pairing away to stop other sides playing

Aluko, Bacuna, Barrow are a step up in class for us, esp in ball-skills. Some of their tricks are superb. In a winning side they will rip teams apart. I understand why people want Bacuna in midfield (a step up in class on Williams IMO) but while it's working at RB (and Gunter looks better at LB/LWB than on the right) maybe we should stick with it? Gunts was quiet, I thought.

Yan still looks a shadow of last year, ditto Kelly who likes tired and unfit. If he walked slower to the corner flag for corners he'd be walking backwards. What is it with that?

McShane was McShane but Moore had a below-par performance by his standards. Interesting that while defensively we didn't stand out, we kept a clean sheet.

I thought Dadi looked very much more threatening than Yan. He should start at Sunderland instead of Yan, but it sounded like JS is looking to play the same team.

Our last six games including two tops six sides and we have averaged 1.833 points per game. As yet we aren't really gelling, I lost count of the number of misplaced passes. BUT we were trying things, and very soon it is going to click, the confidence will ratchet up a few more points and I think we will play with at least top six form in the second half of the season. (I don't mean MAKE the top six, I mean better than 38 points, possibly a lot better).

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Nov 2017 09:43

Snowball I enjoyed it, apart from the atmosphere.

It felt like watching some League Cup game against Newport or Accrington.

Joey was immense first half of first half, and was still my MoM at half-time. I like Edwards. I think these should be a pairing away to stop other sides playing

Aluko, Bacuna, Barrow are a step up in class for us, esp in ball-skills. Some of their tricks are superb. In a winning side they will rip teams apart. I understand why people want Bacuna in midfield (a step up in class on Williams IMO) but while it's working at RB (and Gunter looks better at LB/LWB than on the right) maybe we should stick with it? Gunts was quiet, I thought.

Yan still looks a shadow of last year, ditto Kelly who likes tired and unfit. If he walked slower to the corner flag for corners he'd be walking backwards. What is it with that?

McShane was McShane but Moore had a below-par performance by his standards. Interesting that while defensively we didn't stand out, we kept a clean sheet.

I thought Dadi looked very much more threatening than Yan. He should start at Sunderland instead of Yan, but it sounded like JS is looking to play the same team.

Our last six games including two tops six sides and we have averaged 1.833 points per game. As yet we aren't really gelling, I lost count of the number of misplaced passes. BUT we were trying things, and very soon it is going to click, the confidence will ratchet up a few more points and I think we will play with at least top six form in the second half of the season. (I don't mean MAKE the top six, I mean better than 38 points, possibly a lot better).

Pretty much 100% agree with that. Joey was immense first half in midfield but I just don't like him in the back 3 as he was in the 2nd. I get why Stam changed to 3 at the back when Barnsley started to throw caution to the wind but would have preferred Illori to come on and fulfil that role as he did in the last 10 minutes .

There's no question we're carrying Kermogant at the moment. It's clear Stam is aware of this but is hoping he will reach the heights of the 2nd half of last season. I have my doubts but can see the logic. He was pivotal last season but the difference when Bod came on was obvious.

On the face of it Kelly would seem a natural back up in the "Swift Role" . In reality it never seems to work particularly well. He did ok in general but seems timid in the final 3rd. Things don't always work for Swift but he has the courage of his convictions to try something that Kelly doesn't.

I still feel there is plenty more to come from Barrow, Bacuna and Aluko. The first two are playing well but you can see they still have a lot more to offer. I don't know if its the transfer fee putting extra pressure on him but Aluko isn't quite right atm. There's obvious flashes of how good he could be but the end product isn't there yet.

Have to say I was disappointed with Barnsley. They've actually been one of the more enjoyable teams to watch in the last season and a half but sacrificed their usual front foot style and tried to sit back (as many have successfully done to us recently tbf). It simply didn't work for them.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Nov 2017 09:44

Whilst Kermorgant is clearly getting back to match fitness and sharpness some of his layoffs and flicks in the first half were brilliant.

Agreed with others that JDB worked extremely hard and showed some decent pace and deserved his goal.

Bacuna again, was excellent. Can’t help but feel he’s wasted at right back. He could really drive the midfield.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Nov 2017 09:49

We just need two Bacunas

Marino13

by Marino13 » 29 Nov 2017 10:05

important win for us! it was kinda boring despite the 3-0 scoreline.
no wonder why there was realistically about 11,000 there last night!

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Nov 2017 10:16

Snowball We just need eight Bacunas

Keep Moore, Mannone and Kermorgant. Everyone else should be bacuna and we'd probably win the league. Can't get over how impressive he has been.