BFTG Ipswich

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

BFTG Ipswich

by Norfolk Royal » 16 Dec 2017 19:49

In some ways a typical game at Ipswich, ie we contrived to beat ourselves, a poor ref, we lost our discipline, goals from nowhere, a sly opponent.

Reading were dominant in the first half and created around four excellent openings which on another day may have been taken, two wonder/lucky blocks by Ipswich defenders ensuring we did not score.

Gunter overlapped to great effect, more than I have ever seen him do before in a game and put in several half decent crosses, one in particular where it looked certain that Kermorgant would score, one of the aforementioned blocks.

So how did we go in at half-time two-nil down? The first Ipswich goal came in the third minute, Mannone on the face of it being a bit out of position for a shot by the impressive Connolly which all but dribbled into the corner.

Kermorgant argued long and hard that Barrow, I think, had been fouled while losing possession for the break that led to the goal, but to no avail. In fact, it appeared that some of the Reading defenders were concentrating more on that incident than playing to the whistle as they perhaps should have done.

Reading went on to completely dominate the first half but were undone again on only the second occasion I recall Ipswich getting into our half during the first 35 minutes. A corner to the near post was back headed across goal and nodded in unchallenged by the Ipswich player.

If you were being picky you could say that McShane's challenge was weak on the initial flick on and the player who scored was unmarked, but those things sometimes happen. Look at the corner count, we had plenty of opportunity to right that Ipswich goal but never really threatened from a set piece.

Most people around me were muttering that we needed a goal before half-time to give us a chance in the game. Sadly, despite some enterprising play at times, we did not do that. And the familiar script duly followed.

The second half was more scrappy than the first with Reading marginally in the ascendancy chasing the game while Ipswich were happy to counter, on one occasion Connolly, again, after a mazy run perhaps should have increased their advantage. He looked an impressive player of skill that Reading were lacking on the day.

Ipswich under McCarthy are a sly team and it was notable that whenever Reading looked like breaking a foul went in to block the forward surge. That in part led to the frustration and arguing with the referee that was continuous throughout the game.

The referee was poor, particularly in the first half. He was desperate to send someone off. The Ipswich fans sensed this and every time a Reading player put in a questionable foul the 'off, off, off' chants went up and the ref was on to it like a shot. The same could not really be said for his treatment of Ipswich's blatant blocking of runs and 'professional' fouls.

In truth we never really looked like scoring in the second half. The game was won or lost in the first half. The second half might as well not have been played to be honest.

It would be tempting to say that Stam's tinkering with the team again today was partly responsible for this rather disappointing and disjointed performance but I don't see enough games to rule on that really. It appeared that Van den Berg, who had a good game, took up Kelly's usual position. He did well but lacks Kelly's range of passing.

Blackett, who had a poor game, was brought in at left-back, Gunter, who had a good game, moved back to his usual position, and Bacuna played in midfield. The fans got on Blackett's back and it is puzzling as to why our young left back Richards? did not play as he is so highly rated. He was on the bench after all.

On the fans, who were generally good today, why spend ages taunting the Ipswich fans about their empty seats when we are as bad, if not worse than them.

Ratings:

Mannone: 5. Suspicion that he could have done more with the first Ipswich goal. Looked comfortable in his distribution though.
Gunter: 6.5. Overlapped to great effect in the first half but faded thereafter.
Blackett: 4. Just don't see him as a left back.
McShane: 5. He probably wouldn't say that was one of his better games and enraged the home crowd by going down at one stage, on apparent orders from the bench, for an injury which involved changing his shirt for some reason.
Moore: 7. MOM. Looks our most accomplished player and one block in the second half was fantastic. Stopped a certain goal.
Bacuna: 5. Was expecting more from him today. Frustrating, think he could do a lot more.
Edwards: 5. Did not really influence proceedings despite getting in promising positions at times.
Van den Berg: 6.5. Was influential and passed the ball well.
Aluko: 5.5. Flattered to deceive.
Kermorgant: 4.5. Looks off the pace at the moment, perhaps not surprising given his long injury lay off but should be doing a bit more given he has had a few games now. A chap next to me commented that he thought Kermorgant was carrying too much timber. Bit harsh as he is stocky in any case.
Barrow: 6. He looked our most likely outlet but most of his best efforts failed with the final ball. Felt he could have cut inside more and exposed the Ipswich defence rather than always going on the outside and cutting down his options.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Ipswich

by strap » 16 Dec 2017 20:10

Cheers NR, very comprehensive, thanks.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 16 Dec 2017 20:41

Best BFTG post for ages. Very decent writeup - thanks.

I also find it weird that Reading fans seem to chant about empty seats.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Dec 2017 20:44

Agreed, great report from a not so great result. Cheers

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Dec 2017 20:46

+1, Cheers Norrers.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 16 Dec 2017 21:44

Great write up, thanks

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Dec 2017 23:04

Ok, so can we finally start with JDB now?

Just what is the issue here?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Dec 2017 23:18

I`ve just got in with my beer goggles on, but I don't need to write a report now because that's exactly how I saw the game , top class BFTG too.
Just a quick word on Kermagent though, he looks a shadow of his former self, I know we need to give time time after his long lay off,
but I cant remember him having a single touch in the 2nd half.

Ohh and our juvenile support now are a serious embarrassment.

eddiegrundy

by eddiegrundy » 16 Dec 2017 23:20

McShane: 5. He probably wouldn't say that was one of his better games and enraged the home crowd by going down at one stage, on apparent orders from the bench, for an injury which involved changing his shirt for some reason.

McShane came out of the dressing room at full-time with stiches in a cut over his right eye.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Dec 2017 23:24

eddiegrundy

McShane came out of the dressing room at full-time with stiches in a cut over his right eye.

That injury was quite interesting because he had a few minutes treatment, the Ipswich fans were booing him every time he touched the ball after that. who the f*ck wastes time when you are 2-0 down?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Dec 2017 23:32

and with a blood injury too

We have never done that...have we??? :?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 17 Dec 2017 00:04

windermereROYAL

What have they been up to?

TheOldMagoo

by TheOldMagoo » 17 Dec 2017 11:52

Reading very predictable as ever.

Tippy tappy football, obsessed with possession but very flaky and weak and lots of flapping hands whenever a fair tackle was put in.

Easiest three points we've had all season and always like beating small clubs like Reading with delusions of grandeur.

Norfolk Royal In some ways a typical game at Ipswich, ie we contrived to beat ourselves, a poor ref, we lost our discipline, goals from nowhere, a sly opponent.

Reading were dominant in the first half and created around four excellent openings which on another day may have been taken, two wonder/lucky blocks by Ipswich defenders ensuring we did not score.

Gunter overlapped to great effect, more than I have ever seen him do before in a game and put in several half decent crosses, one in particular where it looked certain that Kermorgant would score, one of the aforementioned blocks.

So how did we go in at half-time two-nil down? The first Ipswich goal came in the third minute, Mannone on the face of it being a bit out of position for a shot by the impressive Connolly which all but dribbled into the corner.

Kermorgant argued long and hard that Barrow, I think, had been fouled while losing possession for the break that led to the goal, but to no avail. In fact, it appeared that some of the Reading defenders were concentrating more on that incident than playing to the whistle as they perhaps should have done.

Reading went on to completely dominate the first half but were undone again on only the second occasion I recall Ipswich getting into our half during the first 35 minutes. A corner to the near post was back headed across goal and nodded in unchallenged by the Ipswich player.

If you were being picky you could say that McShane's challenge was weak on the initial flick on and the player who scored was unmarked, but those things sometimes happen. Look at the corner count, we had plenty of opportunity to right that Ipswich goal but never really threatened from a set piece.

Most people around me were muttering that we needed a goal before half-time to give us a chance in the game. Sadly, despite some enterprising play at times, we did not do that. And the familiar script duly followed.

The second half was more scrappy than the first with Reading marginally in the ascendancy chasing the game while Ipswich were happy to counter, on one occasion Connolly, again, after a mazy run perhaps should have increased their advantage. He looked an impressive player of skill that Reading were lacking on the day.

Ipswich under McCarthy are a sly team and it was notable that whenever Reading looked like breaking a foul went in to block the forward surge. That in part led to the frustration and arguing with the referee that was continuous throughout the game.

The referee was poor, particularly in the first half. He was desperate to send someone off. The Ipswich fans sensed this and every time a Reading player put in a questionable foul the 'off, off, off' chants went up and the ref was on to it like a shot. The same could not really be said for his treatment of Ipswich's blatant blocking of runs and 'professional' fouls.

In truth we never really looked like scoring in the second half. The game was won or lost in the first half. The second half might as well not have been played to be honest.

It would be tempting to say that Stam's tinkering with the team again today was partly responsible for this rather disappointing and disjointed performance but I don't see enough games to rule on that really. It appeared that Van den Berg, who had a good game, took up Kelly's usual position. He did well but lacks Kelly's range of passing.

Blackett, who had a poor game, was brought in at left-back, Gunter, who had a good game, moved back to his usual position, and Bacuna played in midfield. The fans got on Blackett's back and it is puzzling as to why our young left back Richards? did not play as he is so highly rated. He was on the bench after all.

On the fans, who were generally good today, why spend ages taunting the Ipswich fans about their empty seats when we are as bad, if not worse than them.

Ratings:

Mannone: 5. Suspicion that he could have done more with the first Ipswich goal. Looked comfortable in his distribution though.
Moore: 7. MOM. Looks our most accomplished player and one block in the second half was fantastic. Stopped a certain goal.
Bacuna: 5. Was expecting more from him today. Frustrating, think he could do a lot more.
Edwards: 5. Did not really influence proceedings despite getting in promising positions at times.
Kermorgant: 4.5. Looks off the pace at the moment, perhaps not surprising given his long injury lay off but should be doing a bit more given he has had a few games now. A chap next to me commented that he thought Kermorgant was carrying too much timber. Bit harsh as he is stocky in any case.
Barrow: 6. He looked our most likely outlet but most of his best efforts failed with the final ball. Felt he could have cut inside more and exposed the Ipswich defence rather than always going on the outside and cutting down his options.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 17 Dec 2017 12:29

Good write up. I was there and backed the boys and made some noise. Was a good day but unlucky. Oh well, onwards and upwards!

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Dec 2017 17:36

bobby1413
windermereROYAL

What have they been up to?

There were a good proportion of extremely drunk people there yesterday would probably be the best way of describing it. Quite strange really with our away support but half bring a thermos flask and half bring a hip flask. There seems nothing in between.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 17 Dec 2017 20:01

I personally take a seasonal eggnog.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 18 Dec 2017 08:38

windermereROYAL
eddiegrundy

That injury was quite interesting because he had a few minutes treatment, the Ipswich fans were booing him every time he touched the ball after that. who the f*ck wastes time when you are 2-0 down?

Us....at Bolton a few weeks ago.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 18 Dec 2017 09:52

Norfolk Royal In some ways a typical game at Ipswich, ie we contrived to beat ourselves, a poor ref, we lost our discipline, goals from nowhere, a sly opponent.

Ratings:

Apparently Eddie Howe fell out with Kermo as he came back from the break overweight. If you recall he was not that great when he joined us. His form seemed to link with him looking as though he lost a bit of weight. I think he has come back from injury overweight again. Kermo needs a diet!!

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1