BFTG Barnsley

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

BFTG Barnsley

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 30 Dec 2017 16:40

Or on the train to be precise

A first half utterly devoid of skill from both teams, yes it was windy but there were 22 players stealing a living out there.

Great cross by Blackett for the goal which we celebrated before Kermit connected with it, shame he was then done like a kipper for their goal.

Mannone kept us in it at times, Joey had a reasonable first half and then was completely off the pace for the second.

Glad I went because there's nothing quite like singing yourself hoarse at an away game but dear God I'm glad I don't pay to watch that every week. (ifollow doesn't count)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Barnsley

by CountryRoyal » 30 Dec 2017 16:45

Well done to all those who went.

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 30 Dec 2017 19:38

First away game for me in a long time. Don't think I will bother going again for a while.

We were utterly devoid of creativity, bar one decent cross which resulted in our goal.

Their equaliser infuriated me. A full back who played regularly under Van Gaal at United decides in injury time to completely stand off the Barnsley player that crossed the ball for their goal. Call me old fashioned, but I thought full backs were supposed to close down wide players. It wasn't an isolated incident either. Time and time again they were allowed space and time to cross the ball.

Unforgivable given the manager was one of the finest defenders of his generation. Basic simple stuff that Sunday league players can grasp.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 30 Dec 2017 19:51

jumpers for goalposts First away game for me in a long time. Don't think I will bother going again for a while.

We were utterly devoid of creativity, bar one decent cross which resulted in our goal.

Their equaliser infuriated me. A full back who played regularly under Van Gaal at United decides in injury time to completely stand off the Barnsley player that crossed the ball for their goal. Call me old fashioned, but I thought full backs were supposed to close down wide players. It wasn't an isolated incident either. Time and time again they were allowed space and time to cross the ball.

Unforgivable given the manager was one of the finest defenders of his generation. Basic simple stuff that Sunday league players can grasp.

Is the radio berks report true that the players (and stam) didn't go over the travelling supporters after the game and just cleared off down the tunnel ?

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 30 Dec 2017 19:57

Longhorn1970
jumpers for goalposts First away game for me in a long time. Don't think I will bother going again for a while.

Is the radio berks report true that the players (and stam) didn't go over the travelling supporters after the game and just cleared off down the tunnel ?

Yes that was true. One or two of the players clapped the fans (can't remember which ones tbh). The tunnel is at the away end at Oakwell but none of them went out of their way to properly applaud the supporters.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 30 Dec 2017 20:17

jumpers for goalposts
Longhorn1970

Yes that was true. One or two of the players clapped the fans (can't remember which ones tbh). The tunnel is at the away end at Oakwell but none of them went out of their way to properly applaud the supporters.

That's not good

International Royal

by International Royal » 30 Dec 2017 20:23

First post in ages, first away game for a while.

Utterly dire, fortunate to get a point. The style of football is predictable, lacks any creativity, urgency or excitement, boring and most of the time pointless.

Today was that bad, I would have felt the same even if the points were stolen.

Too many passengers in the team today. Edwards & Evans in the middle do little (at least today), Joey is not doing his job, McShane is awful at the quarter back role - distribution is so poor. Moore is the only option for passing out from the back or running into space.

Put that back 4 together with an unbalanced & invisible midfield and it became nearly impossible to move through the thirds.

The team play like robots and this must be Stam’s fault. None of them think for themselves.

As an irony, the goal came from a quick kick out from Mannonne an overload on the left. A great cross from Blackett and a goal.

There’s something not right in that team. I can’t be bothered to go on anymore...

Put simply, we were rubbish today...

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 30 Dec 2017 20:24

Most of the players clapped, Kermorgant, Gunter and Moore especially. Stam did too. Not sure what extra they were supposed to do -hand out thank you cards?

First half a shambles from both sides. Second half was quite entertaining although low on quality.

400 mile round trip. Utter madness.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Dec 2017 20:29

Hats off to all that travelled to Barnsley to watch a Jaap Stam side, absolute legends all of you.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Dec 2017 22:03

A point is a point.

Something upset Moore today. Looked infuriated after the final whistle had gone.

So missing Bacuna;s drive today.

Blackett is not a fullback, Great cross for the goal. More than our "wingers" can muster.

Where was the midfield today.

Our defence sits deep. As totally lacking in pace. Though playing with Yann likewise limits our attacking options. Just so pedestrian,

Is the Championship now more overated than the Premiership. As the quality of football is dire.

I'll be there next game though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2017 22:11

Only wolves have impressed me at all this year tbh

Maybe Norwich when they beat us and they they’ve been rubbish otherwise

Emeraldroyal

by Emeraldroyal » 30 Dec 2017 22:13

I’m back now. And I’m battered.
Utter shite.
I’ll try post something more articulate tommorow but in the meantime...Jesus wept :(

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 30 Dec 2017 22:30

Lower West Something upset Moore today. Looked infuriated after the final whistle had gone.

Mmmmm, wonder what that could have been? It’s a mystery alright........

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 30 Dec 2017 23:05

Was at the game myself, well done to everyone that went!

Big positives were that Yann is now up and running and we didn’t lose.

It is clear that our team isn’t good enough to play the football Stam demands, I have to ask what on earth are we trying to achieve by playing across the back?

McShane would be lucky to make a league one side at the moment never mind be the skipper. He’s been woeful recently and again he gave the ball away numerous times.

That captaincy needs to go to Moore who sets the standard every week, I’m sick of him being let down by his team mates we don’t deserve him and he deserves much better.

I’m trying to look at it from both sides but what inspiration do the fans get from watching this every week never mind the fact Stam doesn’t really appreciate the fans.

Something has to give and unfortunately I think Jaaps time is up if we lose next Tuesday.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Dec 2017 23:25

bracksroyal10 Was at the game myself, well done to everyone that went!

Big positives were that Yann is now up and running and we didn’t lose.

It is clear that our team isn’t good enough to play the football Stam demands, I have to ask what on earth are we trying to achieve by playing across the back?

McShane would be lucky to make a league one side at the moment never mind be the skipper. He’s been woeful recently and again he gave the ball away numerous times.

That captaincy needs to go to Moore who sets the standard every week, I’m sick of him being let down by his team mates we don’t deserve him and he deserves much better.

I’m trying to look at it from both sides but what inspiration do the fans get from watching this every week never mind the fact Stam doesn’t really appreciate the fans.

Something has to give and unfortunately I think Jaaps time is up if we lose next Tuesday.

Admiration for you for making the trip and I feel for you, genuinely. Not only has he let you down, he’s let lots of people at this club down. Stam in his world is the centre of the universe and he can never, ever be wrong or personally at fault. That’s why we’re in this mess.

I wouldn’t blame McShane or any other player, they’re just as pissed off as we are, after all it’s their career Jaap’s oxf*rd with.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 30 Dec 2017 23:40

10539.4 Miles Away Or on the train to be precise

A first half utterly devoid of skill from both teams, yes it was windy but there were 22 players stealing a living out there.

Great cross by Blackett for the goal which we celebrated before Kermit connected with it, shame he was then done like a kipper for their goal.

Mannone kept us in it at times, Joey had a reasonable first half and then was completely off the pace for the second.

Glad I went because there's nothing quite like singing yourself hoarse at an away game but dear God I'm glad I don't pay to watch that every week. (ifollow doesn't count)

Good effort from you and your group
Were you the guy with an impressive beard?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Dec 2017 09:32

10539.4 Miles Away Great cross by Blackett for the goal which we celebrated before Kermit connected with it, shame he was then done like a kipper for their goal.

:lol:

I love it!

When the lineups were revealed I smiled turned to my wife and said "Well if he's on that's at least one goal we're conceding today..."

If a fan can predict this from an armchair what the **** is a ex-defender manager doing? I'm guessing Omar Richards is injured. Even then I'd play anyone else there other than the ridiculous defensive liability that Blackett is

---

As for Stam.... I'm done with him.

I voted IN on the thread but have changed my mind. I actually cheered when we let one in. That's not right. You know you're done with a manager when you want his team to lose.

Come on Brum!

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 31 Dec 2017 09:54

bcubed
10539.4 Miles Away Or on the train to be precise

Good effort from you and your group
Were you the guy with an impressive beard?

No, he was a couple of rows behind me, I wasn't actually part of the group, myself, my brother and brother in law were the three standing in the row in front of that group. I laughed when the steward informed us very seriously that it was "allocated seating today" on entry. Took one look at our assigned seats and made a bee line straight for the back of the stand.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 31 Dec 2017 10:45

Just watch3d the highlights. Agree that Blackett didn’t get close enough to the winger, and Gunter always does the same as well. Hnot sure what McShane was doing though. No one jumped with their guy for the goal. However, most of the other incidents I saw Blackett was getting no support from Barrow or a midfielder. Joey isn’t quick enough to cover across (Evans is better in that respect).

Our three man midfield just gets overrun time and time again. Teams like Liverpool and Chelsea get away with three in midfield as their attacking threat is so potent that the opposition midfield spends most of the time on the back foot. But with our system the team gets overrun and is the root cause, IMO, of why our defence always seems a shambles. Too many runners not being tracked; full backs backing off trying to buy time in order someone might come and support them. It’s an old cliche but defending Is a team effort and starts from the front. But with wingers / wide forwards like Aluko and Barrow then we’re always going to look short at the back, or have nothing up front as they are too deep defending.

Come on Tuesday!!!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Dec 2017 12:14

Absolutely stunning cross from Blackett for Kermorgant to score.

Fairly standard RFC fullback standing off the crosser for their goal. McShane comprehensively beaten in the middle. I wish we got tighter on wingers.