205 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by 5 games without a win

by Sutekh » 30 Dec 2017 16:20

When : Tuesday, 2nd January, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Another go at winning home game arrives but this time there’s an actual chance the attempt might be successful owing to the lack of a Saturday.

Birmingham are struggling quite badly but then so were Burton and we all know what sort of miserable tripe was served up for that visit, therefore this game is not going to be easy despite the facts that Birmingham are bottom of the table, haven’t won away all season (3 draws only thus far) and have only hit 5 goals in 12 away games.

Can’t be worse than Burton, Bristol and Barnsley can it?

Referee

James Linington

Previously

09 Sep 17 > Reading 0-1 Bristol City
08 Apr 17 > Norwich City 7-1 Reading
24 Sep 16 > Reading 1-0 Huddersfield Town
21 Nov 15 > Reading 2-1 Bolton Wanderers
02 May 15 > Derby County 0-3 Reading
28 Dec 14 > Reading 2-1 Norwich City
21 Nov 14 > Cardiff City 2-1 Reading
12 Aug 14 > Reading 3-1 Newport County (League Cup)
10 Sep 11 > Reading 0-2 Watford
30 Apr 11 > Coventry City 0-0 Reading
22 Jan 11 > Reading 1-1 Hull City
02 May 10 > Reading 4-0 Preston North End
30 Jan 10 > Reading 1-0 Barnsley

Historically

No meetings before 1986 in any competition

It took 8 games to record the first home win

In 15 previous home league games Reading have managed just 4 wins compared to 5 from Birmingham

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h) sponsored by 5 games without a win

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Dec 2017 17:45

Sutekh Can’t be worse than Burton, Bristol and Barnsley can it?

Stam is certainly gonna give it a go. Birmingham are going to come here believing they can win, especially after watching how bad we are this season. Not in the business of wanting us to lose to make a point, but can already picture the meltdown when city bundle in a crap later winner in front of their fans.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 30 Dec 2017 21:36

thanks

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Dec 2017 21:50

I can see this being a dire game. I can hardly wait.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Dec 2017 23:01

The boys will turn up to lose or draw. Play half decent of course, but not many now want to play for the Dutchman, they want rid of him, recent results say as much. It’s a mess.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Dec 2017 23:35

Oh look, Oilroyal's spouting baseless nonsense again

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Dec 2017 23:38

genome Oh look, Oilroyal's spouting baseless nonsense again

Stolen your spot of nosencness! You are an online diva
Last edited by Oilroyal on 30 Dec 2017 23:39, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Dec 2017 23:39

Someone's been drinking, I fear

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Dec 2017 23:39

genome Someone's been drinking, I fear

loads...

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Dec 2017 23:40

Don't blame you mate. Questioning the integrity of the players is a bit much though.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Dec 2017 23:45

genome Don't blame you mate. Questioning the integrity of the players is a bit much though.

Most multi-millionaires, or plan to be millionairs at some point and most not showing their true potential under Stam… Do you think our players are happy then, do you think our players cant force a change within the club?
Last edited by Oilroyal on 30 Dec 2017 23:53, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Dec 2017 23:52

I don't know if the players are happy with him. They might not be. That doesn't mean they are willingly conspiring to get him sacked and a bad run of results doesn't automatically mean they are downing tools... that's nonsense. Our confidence is just shot to pieces.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 31 Dec 2017 00:31

No, you’re right Genome that doesn’t mean the players are playing their own game and it doesn’t mean those very talented, rich young men would plot against Stam in favour of their own futures.

I’ve had a few drinks, in fact I’ve had a wonderful day and more than a few drinks in the comfort of my own home. And now I should go to bed. But I always read this forum morning, mid-morning and afternoon but mostly in bed, have done for years. I read the crap you post and often could rip it to sheds but instead I read it and disagree inwardly. We’re all fans on here. I don’t post to be part a twitter-like mob scoring points trying to look good to the next twat on-line. I love this forum, I love my club and I’m happy to highlight my feelings on the current situation as I see it, no matter if you agree or disagree.

You talk a lot of shite on here Genome and I assume you’re sober

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Dec 2017 01:37

FiNeRaIn
Sutekh Can’t be worse than Burton, Bristol and Barnsley can it?

Stam is certainly gonna give it a go. Birmingham are going to come here believing they can win, especially after watching how bad we are this season. Not in the business of wanting us to lose to make a point, but can already picture the meltdown when city bundle in a crap later winner in front of their fans.

This.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Dec 2017 01:50

Oilroyal No, you’re right Genome that doesn’t mean the players are playing their own game and it doesn’t mean those very talented, rich young men would plot against Stam in favour of their own futures.

I’ve had a few drinks, in fact I’ve had a wonderful day and more than a few drinks in the comfort of my own home. And now I should go to bed. But I always read this forum morning, mid-morning and afternoon but mostly in bed, have done for years. I read the crap you post and often could rip it to sheds but instead I read it and disagree inwardly. We’re all fans on here. I don’t post to be part a twitter-like mob scoring points trying to look good to the next twat on-line. I love this forum, I love my club and I’m happy to highlight my feelings on the current situation as I see it, no matter if you agree or disagree.

If wanting people to post reasoned opinions, instead of accusing the manager and/or players of things they have absolutely no evidence for means I'm talking shite and trying to score points, then I'm a big shite-talking points scorer.

I'm happy for you to "rip me to shreds" any time. I'll be waiting. But if you're too insecure to have your own opinion challenged without whinging about me when you can't back it up, then I'm not holding out much hope.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 31 Dec 2017 02:48

genome
Oilroyal No, you’re right Genome that doesn’t mean the players are playing their own game and it doesn’t mean those very talented, rich young men would plot against Stam in favour of their own futures.

If wanting people to post reasoned opinions, instead of accusing the manager and/or players of things they have absolutely no evidence for means I'm talking shite and trying to score points, then I'm a big shite-talking points scorer.

I'm happy for you to "rip me to shreds" any time. I'll be waiting. But if you're too insecure to have your own opinion challenged without whinging about me when you can't back it up, then I'm not holding out much hope.

What I’m saying and have always said is that our form is down to a poor pre-season,
Steven Reid – upping and leaving
Stam being backed over the top
Stam allowed to disrespect the fans without consequence
And now, in my own opinion the players not playing for him 100% for whatever reason that may be.

Personally, I don’t believe that any of our players are as poor as the results but I do see a lot of unhappy players and a lack of team sprite and fight.

I’m posting my opinion on how I see a situation. Not everything can be googled for credibility or taught in a classroom. And not everything is credible. Forums are full of hunches and opinions and combinations of circumstances that lead to an opinion.
No match stats can provide tangible evidence as to why I feel that the players no longer want to play for the manager other than recent results and a gut feeling that I have.

Is that not why we come on here to offer and read opinion, or do we just google information and wait for an official club announcement then rush on here with a link to the PR version to be first to post the news? If so, you crack on.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Dec 2017 04:19

genome If wanting people to post reasoned opinions, instead of accusing the manager and/or players of things they have absolutely no evidence for means I'm talking shite and trying to score points, then I'm a big shite-talking points scorer.

Good post, well said.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Dec 2017 10:07

From things I’ve read and heard, players who are in the team very rarely stop playing for the manager. Could understand the likes of Popa not being his biggest fan but the majority of the rest have either signed for him, or have been offered big contract renewals on his watch. I doubt they have anything but respect for him.

They also know they almost took them to the ‘promised land’ last year

There is definitely a lack of confidence though

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Dec 2017 10:21

Oilroyal
genome

What I’m saying and have always said is that our form is down to a poor pre-season,
Steven Reid – upping and leaving
Stam being backed over the top
Stam allowed to disrespect the fans without consequence
And now, in my own opinion the players not playing for him 100% for whatever reason that may be.

Personally, I don’t believe that any of our players are as poor as the results but I do see a lot of unhappy players and a lack of team sprite and fight.

I’m posting my opinion on how I see a situation. Not everything can be googled for credibility or taught in a classroom. And not everything is credible. Forums are full of hunches and opinions and combinations of circumstances that lead to an opinion.
No match stats can provide tangible evidence as to why I feel that the players no longer want to play for the manager other than recent results and a gut feeling that I have.

Is that not why we come on here to offer and read opinion, or do we just google information and wait for an official club announcement then rush on here with a link to the PR version to be first to post the news? If so, you crack on.

So you're admitting that your opinion is based on absolutely nothing? That's a new one for Hobnob :lol:

To the bolded bit - that's probably lack of confidence due to bad results, a number of players hitting bad form, mixed with Stam's tactics being more ineffective this season because teams have sussed it out. It doesn't mean the players are actively throwing the game. You've made a leap in your head and as a fan, I want to defend the integrity of the players. That kind of thinking only serves to sour the atmosphere even more.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 Dec 2017 12:26

Out of interest why are we not playing tomorrow? Knock about 5k off the gate.

205 posts