BFTG - Stevenage

217 posts
marlowuk

BFTG - Stevenage

by marlowuk » 06 Jan 2018 17:21

And I thought our performance against Birmingham was bad!!!

First the excuses - the pitch was not great and it was very windy.

Now the reality - we were outplayed by a mid Div 2 side. They had 12 shots (5 on target) to our 6 shots (2 on target) and 11 corners to our 1!! I lost count of the times we literally passed the ball to the opposition or passed it out of play. It was embarrassing!

No-one comes out with any great credit. Jaakkola made a few good saves but his distribution painfully slow and awful! Barrow and Bacuna at least tried albeit not very successfully. And what was the idea in setting the side up with no striker?

At least it was only about 1 miles journey for me!!

Schmeichel the dog

Re: BFTG - Stevenage

by Schmeichel the dog » 06 Jan 2018 17:46

It’s not the result. Leicester drew with Fleetwood. Stoke lost to Cov. It’s the manner of this result and recent results. Just shockingly poor and above all BORING! It feels worse than under Brendan (he had a transitional team full of kids) and Adkins (we were never so low in the league). It’s all becoming a bit desperate.....

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 06 Jan 2018 17:47

Thought Omar looked brilliant. Other than that absolutely dire. Bacuna had a shocker. Kelly poor. Jaakkola slow and ponderous with every goal kick.

Playing no strikers against a league 2 team :?: :?: :?: :?:

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 06 Jan 2018 18:10

Omar was the stand out player, especially first half. Not quite as good as against Derby, but so much potential. How he's not played more is a complete mystery. Rest of the team really poor, but the set up and selection by Jaap was so negative. Jaakola was so slow and they completely had our passing out from the back sussed, so we had to go long, with two short wingers playing up front. Just didn't keep the ball all game, midfield completely invisible, apart from Kelly's inability to find a team mate with his passing. To his credit he did keep going and was marginally better as the game went on. So many players just look a shadow of last season. Joey's only moments of brilliance come when he's solving his own problems. Swift came on and was shocking, just so lightweight. McShane poor again. Can't believe how far he's lost it. Stevenage were nothing special, but made us look really, really poor.

Have to say that was one of the most toxic away crowds I've been part of. Yep, the team is out of form, but some of the negativity was unbelievable. No doubt that was why McShane behaved as he did and tried to get the team down the tunnel with acknowledging us. Not sure who changed his mind, but I've never seen anything like it. Start acting like a captain, grow a pair and help turn this dreadful season around.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 06 Jan 2018 18:12

Jagermesiter1871 Jaakkola slow and ponderous with every goal kick.

It wasn't just his goal kicks (many of which he kicked out of play!). When he had made a save and with Stevenage committed to attack, he failed to release the ball quickly to set up a counter attack.

wiggso

by wiggso » 06 Jan 2018 18:15

Kelly was shockingly bad.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 06 Jan 2018 18:19

marlowuk
Jagermesiter1871 Jaakkola slow and ponderous with every goal kick.

It wasn't just his goal kicks (many of which he kicked out of play!). When he had made a save and with Stevenage committed to attack, he failed to release the ball quickly to set up a counter attack.

Yeah sorry, not just kicks.

It was painful to watch and I can only assume he's been coached to take as long as possible with every distribution. The slowness permeates every member of the team though.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 06 Jan 2018 18:21

Whore Jackie Omar was the stand out player, especially first half. Not quite as good as against Derby, but so much potential. How he's not played more is a complete mystery. Rest of the team really poor, but the set up and selection by Jaap was so negative. Jaakola was so slow and they completely had our passing out from the back sussed, so we had to go long, with two short wingers playing up front. Just didn't keep the ball all game, midfield completely invisible, apart from Kelly's inability to find a team mate with his passing. To his credit he did keep going and was marginally better as the game went on. So many players just look a shadow of last season. Joey's only moments of brilliance come when he's solving his own problems. Swift came on and was shocking, just so lightweight. McShane poor again. Can't believe how far he's lost it. Stevenage were nothing special, but made us look really, really poor.

Have to say that was one of the most toxic away crowds I've been part of. Yep, the team is out of form, but some of the negativity was unbelievable. No doubt that was why McShane behaved as he did and tried to get the team down the tunnel with acknowledging us. Not sure who changed his mind, but I've never seen anything like it. Start acting like a captain, grow a pair and help turn this dreadful season around.

Agree with all of that but are you saying that the crowds reaction wasn't justified? You're playing no striker against a league 2 team and had 1 shot on target? it's not rocket since.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Jan 2018 18:54

I'm done.

Done with Stam

Done with the players (barring Richards)

Done with McShane being out captain.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 06 Jan 2018 18:55

Awful
Boring
Cold
Disappointing
Expected

tilehurstender

by tilehurstender » 06 Jan 2018 19:11

Have to agree with previous comments regarding how poor this was. Yeah the fans did give some stick but why should players have to be treated with kid gloves to spare their wafer thin feelings. They are happy to take the plaudits with 30k+ supporting them at Wembley so when they can't be arsed to turn up for a game or three against the likes of Stevenage or Burton please spare me the sympaphy.
And yes I am still going to Hull next week!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Jan 2018 19:18

So over Xmas and New Year we've played...

A team that were 20th at the time
A team that were 23rd at the time
A team that were bottom at the time
And a League Two side

P4 W0 D2 L2

Mental. I'm sure it doesn't help them, but the players surely cannot be too pissed off with getting stick from the fans.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jan 2018 19:24

Unfortunately it seems that Stam’s own thin skin has leached through to the players

Wasn’t there today but the offence he takes to a couple of boos at home has obvs led to the them and us mentality that led to today’s effort from McShane

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 06 Jan 2018 19:25

It was all quite enjoyable really. But we were laughably poor.

Jaakola 4 saved well but looked far less competent than their debutant

Richards 8 the one good thing about the game - why were we playing Gunter and Bacuna out of position instead of him?
MacShane 2 he has gone
Ilori 6 ok but looked a bit bemused at times (am I really not good enough for this team?)
Bacuna 6 quite good

Kelly 1 the worst half I have seen from a Reading player in years
Evans 3 lightweight
Edwards 3 anonymoius
The other one is not worth commenting on

Barrow 6 good apart from his chance
McCleary 3 it's a shame

Stam 1
I don't know how you justify that formation: we had no striker, so we had to play two wingers up-front, so we had no wide midfielders and had to play four central midfielders?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 06 Jan 2018 19:27

genome So over Xmas and New Year we've played...

And a League Two side

P4 W0 D2 L2

Mental. I'm sure it doesn't help them, but the players surely cannot be too pissed off with getting stick from the fans.

Bristol city?

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 06 Jan 2018 19:27

Jagermesiter1871
Whore Jackie Omar was the stand out player, especially first half. Not quite as good as against Derby, but so much potential. How he's not played more is a complete mystery. Rest of the team really poor, but the set up and selection by Jaap was so negative. Jaakola was so slow and they completely had our passing out from the back sussed, so we had to go long, with two short wingers playing up front. Just didn't keep the ball all game, midfield completely invisible, apart from Kelly's inability to find a team mate with his passing. To his credit he did keep going and was marginally better as the game went on. So many players just look a shadow of last season. Joey's only moments of brilliance come when he's solving his own problems. Swift came on and was shocking, just so lightweight. McShane poor again. Can't believe how far he's lost it. Stevenage were nothing special, but made us look really, really poor.

Agree with all of that but are you saying that the crowds reaction wasn't justified? You're playing no striker against a league 2 team and had 1 shot on target? it's not rocket since.

More than justified

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Jan 2018 19:28

windermereROYAL
genome So over Xmas and New Year we've played...

And a League Two side

P4 W0 D2 L2

Bristol city?

We were expected to lose that one.

tilehurstender

by tilehurstender » 06 Jan 2018 19:30

And to quote Stam after the Birmingham game "I'm not sure what the supporters expect?" Ummmm more of the same please!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Jan 2018 19:38

Dont think the problem is the players really, think the problem is simply the management making a simple game over complicated and confusing

Playing with no striker is just ridiculous, ok Bodvarsson may have been ill but there’s still Kermorgant

It was awful stuff from beginning to end with no outlet going forward and therefore even less creativity than usual for Reading. It took until about the 40th minute even get the ball near the Stevenage penalty area in any threatening manner

Most of the 1st half both teams appeared to be kicking in the same direction

Richards was probably the best player overall yet we all know he’ll be dropped for the next game and the team will be back to playing midfielders or right backs there

Crowd started out supportive and getting behind the team but as proceedings unwound, and it became clear how utterly inept it was going to be yet again, that support turned more to black humour and having a go at rhe management.

But the team managed to survive and we can all have another opportunity to watch Reading this month for the princely sum of a tenner. In fact if we’re lucky we could get a bonus 30 minutes on the night as well. :roll:

Boycott it and risk missing a cracker.

Onward to Nigel Adkins and Hull first though....

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jan 2018 20:04

This thread is a depressing read. There has been a disconnect between Stam and the supporters for a while now but that has now spread to the players.
Surely the owners cannot allow this to continue much longer?

217 posts