BFTG Burton

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

BFTG Burton

by Brum Royal » 30 Jan 2018 23:15

A game we thoroughly deserved to win. We could have scored more and Burton scored (the pen) from their only real chance in the game. This was not a nervy victory but one that once we got in front we never looked like giving away. Despite being pegged back to 1-1, the heads didn't drop. The second half in particular was played in fairly miserable conditions - driving rain throughout and it was never going to be pretty - but there were the individual moments of quality that we have been crying out for this season, and that proved to be the difference between the two sides.

For 1-0, an overhit Bacuna cross from the right was well retrieved by Edwards(?) and a good quality cross was tucked away by Big Daddy.

For 2-1, a good corner to the top of the box, a good touch from Gunter and a cool, left footed, placed finish into the bottom right corner from the top of the box.

For 3-1 a good through ball behind the fullback to play in Barrow and a low cross was tucked away at the near post by Big Daddy.

All 3 goals had a bit of quality and a bit of composure to them - something we have been lacking for a while. Encouraging signs.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

Re: BFTG Burton

by Kitsondinho » 30 Jan 2018 23:17

Well that was fun. The weather and the quality of the game were both awful......However, I was massively impressed with our grit, fight and will to win tonight. It wasn’t pretty, it was far more direct than normal under Stam...BUT it worked. I don’t think the passing style has been thrown out the window, but it was lovely to see our tactics be a bit more flexible. Yes Burton contributed to that by constantly booting the ball into the air....but we rolled our sleeves up and dug in. My MOM was Edwards. That is the type of performance I’ve been expecting fron him for a while. He drove the team forwards, fought hard in the middle of the park and moved the ball on quickly when he got it. Special mentions to Jon Dadi, Barrow and Bacuna. All excellent too. Aluko looked lost again (he shouldn’t be playing CM, but anyway)
Overall, delighted....loved Gunt’s celebration with Stam. A result to build on I hope. Maybe I’ll have thawed out by Saturday’s game.....

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 30 Jan 2018 23:33

Well that was very different. We played a very pragmatic form of football. Very little passing around at the back. Definitely safety first. It wasn’t pretty but was what was needed against a very limited Burton team and in the wet conditions. Can’t see Burton staying up tbh

We started as a 4-4-2 with Bacuna right back and Gunter left back, and Aluko playing in central mode filed with Edwards more to the right. Just before the goal Stam made a tactical switch and went to a back three of Gunter, Moore and Ilori with Bacuna at left wing back, and Barrow on the right. Bacuna got the cross in for JDB to tap in from close range.

Second half started with Barrow and Bacuna switching flanks. Then when Elphick replaced Aluko, Gunter went to RWB and Bacuna went into the centre of midfield (his third position of the night). Penalty decision look harsh from a long way away so I’d like to see a replay, but definitely clumsy.

Then I was left totally shocked with Gunter’s left footed finish from outside the box following Bacuna’s corner direct to him. Third goal, Barrow looked offside when the ball was played through to him but JDB’s extra pace compared to Yann showed as he got in front of the defender for a close range finish.

Overall a much needed result and I’m not sure it moves us much further forward as I can’t see Stam settling for too many more games of head tennis in the remainder of the season. However, it could be the pragmatic approach against Millwall as well.

Mannone 6 - not much to do. Distribution average and felt he could have come for a couple of crosses but stayed on his line
Gunter 8 (+1 for the goal) - did what was asked of him. Didn’t mess around with the ball and just kept clearing it
Moore 6 - battled hard against Akins and Bent and won a lot of headers
Ilori 6 - looked pretty comfortable all evening but still feel he’s got a mistake in him

Bacuna 7 - worked hard, played three different positions and got two assists (I think)
Joey 5 - Didnt really notice him that much, quiet game
Edwards 7 - thought he had a good game. Worked tirelessly and made a lot of forward runs, tracked back and was very vocal in organising the team

Barrow 6.5 - good moments and bad. Final ball lacked quality. Definitely isn’t a right wing back. Great pace that troubled Burton and he got chopped down on a few occasions when he did the defenders for pace. One comedy moment when he realised, as a RWB, that he had to take a throw in. Complete foul throw which the ref didn’t give despite the cries of the locals!
Yann 4 - not sure he actually did anything all evening apart from win a few headers which promptly fell to no one. Hasn’t yet got a decent understanding with Jon Dadi yet. Still seems to be struggling to get back to any kind of form.
Jon Dadi 8 (MOTM) - two goals. Right place, right time. Worked really hard and it’s a mystery why he hasn’t started more games. Stam gave him a really big hug at the end of the game.

Subs
Elphick 5 - ok, can see he’s not used to stam’s usual style. Several times passed it back to Mannone and then didn’t move in order to get the return ball. However, was very vocal in the last 10 minutes organising players around him which is a good sign.
Evans 5 - limitedtime to make an impact and picked up a knock within 10 seconds of coming on

Stam 6 - took a pragmatic approach, changed the style. But Some of the formations/personnel were a bit strange, especially Aluko in central midlfield

Ref 4 - too inconsistent. Booked Moore for a full bloodied 50:50 and then let one of their players get away with a similar, but probably worse tackle

Pirelli Stadium 7 - enjoyed being so close to the game. Easy to get served at half time and good value for money

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Jan 2018 23:36

Kitsondinho Overall, delighted....loved Gunt’s celebration with Stam.

Yep, right after scoring Gunter ran a long ways over to the sidelines...and it was quite a looong hug, too. Great to see.:)

RichTea94

by RichTea94 » 30 Jan 2018 23:39

Denver Royal

Yep, right after scoring Gunter ran a long ways over to the sidelines...and it was quite a looong hug, too. Great to see.:)

For all the insipid games we've had to endure, and the crap results, there was ne'er a hint that had Stam lost the dressing room.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 31 Jan 2018 00:03

3points Well that was very different. We played a very pragmatic form of football. Very little passing around at the back. Definitely safety first. It wasn’t pretty but was what was needed against a very limited Burton team and in the wet conditions. Can’t see Burton staying up tbh

We started as a 4-4-2 with Bacuna right back and Gunter left back, and Aluko playing in central mode filed with Edwards more to the right. Just before the goal Stam made a tactical switch and went to a back three of Gunter, Moore and Ilori with Bacuna at left wing back, and Barrow on the right. Bacuna got the cross in for JDB to tap in from close range.

Second half started with Barrow and Bacuna switching flanks. Then when Elphick replaced Aluko, Gunter went to RWB and Bacuna went into the centre of midfield (his third position of the night). Penalty decision look harsh from a long way away so I’d like to see a replay, but definitely clumsy.

Then I was left totally shocked with Gunter’s left footed finish from outside the box following Bacuna’s corner direct to him. Third goal, Barrow looked offside when the ball was played through to him but JDB’s extra pace compared to Yann showed as he got in front of the defender for a close range finish.

Overall a much needed result and I’m not sure it moves us much further forward as I can’t see Stam settling for too many more games of head tennis in the remainder of the season. However, it could be the pragmatic approach against Millwall as well.

Mannone 6 - not much to do. Distribution average and felt he could have come for a couple of crosses but stayed on his line
Gunter 8 (+1 for the goal) - did what was asked of him. Didn’t mess around with the ball and just kept clearing it
Moore 6 - battled hard against Akins and Bent and won a lot of headers
Ilori 6 - looked pretty comfortable all evening but still feel he’s got a mistake in him

Bacuna 7 - worked hard, played three different positions and got two assists (I think)
Joey 5 - Didnt really notice him that much, quiet game
Edwards 7 - thought he had a good game. Worked tirelessly and made a lot of forward runs, tracked back and was very vocal in organising the team

Barrow 6.5 - good moments and bad. Final ball lacked quality. Definitely isn’t a right wing back. Great pace that troubled Burton and he got chopped down on a few occasions when he did the defenders for pace. One comedy moment when he realised, as a RWB, that he had to take a throw in. Complete foul throw which the ref didn’t give despite the cries of the locals!
Yann 4 - not sure he actually did anything all evening apart from win a few headers which promptly fell to no one. Hasn’t yet got a decent understanding with Jon Dadi yet. Still seems to be struggling to get back to any kind of form.
Jon Dadi 8 (MOTM) - two goals. Right place, right time. Worked really hard and it’s a mystery why he hasn’t started more games. Stam gave him a really big hug at the end of the game.

Subs
Elphick 5 - ok, can see he’s not used to stam’s usual style. Several times passed it back to Mannone and then didn’t move in order to get the return ball. However, was very vocal in the last 10 minutes organising players around him which is a good sign.
Evans 5 - limitedtime to make an impact and picked up a knock within 10 seconds of coming on

Stam 6 - took a pragmatic approach, changed the style. But Some of the formations/personnel were a bit strange, especially Aluko in central midlfield

Ref 4 - too inconsistent. Booked Moore for a full bloodied 50:50 and then let one of their players get away with a similar, but probably worse tackle

Pirelli Stadium 7 - enjoyed being so close to the game. Easy to get served at half time and good value for money

Even more impressive we only played with 10 men.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 31 Jan 2018 00:06

windermereROYAL
Even more impressive we only played with 10 men.

oxf*rd me. I forgot Aluko even played :oops: score him a 4 given he was played totally out of position but had no impact on the game

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Jan 2018 01:17

3points Yann 4 - not sure he actually did anything all evening apart from win a few headers which promptly fell to no one. Hasn’t yet got a decent understanding with Jon Dadi yet. Still seems to be struggling to get back to any kind of form.

Good write up's.

I thought Yann played pretty well (although I'm going to watch the game again to be sure). But yes, he's still getting his legs under him and his timing down and sharpness back. The thing I see with him, though, is that he still occupies defenders and they are wary of his rep and record, which I think brings other players in to the game, like Bod tonite.

Really wish the pair of them had started the season differently. Yann was out injured, period, for the first couple months with a bad injury. Bod was signed very late, wasn't really fit, started game one, and promptly got injured in it.

If these two had had a full off season, a full camp, a full pre-season, and both been fit and ready game one, and remained fit, then I think we might have been looking at a different season. That stuff is so vital for conditioning, training with the coaches, developing chemistry, etc, and it's not easy to navigate around those injuries on our budgets with our squad and resources.

As it was, either one of them, or both of them, were injured a lot of the time til about Dec. But hopefully the pair of them can really gel and be a force going forward and we can push on from here...

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 31 Jan 2018 01:59

Denver Royal
3points Yann 4 - not sure he actually did anything all evening apart from win a few headers which promptly fell to no one. Hasn’t yet got a decent understanding with Jon Dadi yet. Still seems to be struggling to get back to any kind of form.

Good write up's.

I thought Yann played pretty well (although I'm going to watch the game again to be sure). But yes, he's still getting his legs under him and his timing down and sharpness back. The thing I see with him, though, is that he still occupies defenders and they are wary of his rep and record, which I think brings other players in to the game, like Bod tonite.

Really wish the pair of them had started the season differently. Yann was out injured, period, for the first couple months with a bad injury. Bod was signed very late, wasn't really fit, started game one, and promptly got injured in it. If these two had had a full off season, a full camp, a full pre-season, and both been fit and ready game one, and remained fit, then I think we might have been looking at a different season. That stuff is so vital for conditioning, training with the coaches, developing chemistry, etc. As it was, either one of them, or both of them, were injured a lot of the time til about Dec. But hopefully the pair of them can really gel and be a force going forward...

Bodvarsson seems to have gained a lot of confidence as of late, being there to score simple tap ins is a sign of a great striker. He’d be perfect with a powerful striker, the things I’d do to have the 11/12 version of Jason Roberts back

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Jan 2018 02:53

TiagoIlori
Denver Royal

Good write up's.

Really wish the pair of them had started the season differently. Yann was out injured, period, for the first couple months with a bad injury. Bod was signed very late, wasn't really fit, started game one, and promptly got injured in it. If these two had had a full off season, a full camp, a full pre-season, and both been fit and ready game one, and remained fit, then I think we might have been looking at a different season. That stuff is so vital for conditioning, training with the coaches, developing chemistry, etc. As it was, either one of them, or both of them, were injured a lot of the time til about Dec. But hopefully the pair of them can really gel and be a force going forward...

Bodvarsson seems to have gained a lot of confidence as of late, being there to score simple tap ins is a sign of a great striker. He’d be perfect with a powerful striker, the things I’d do to have the 11/12 version of Jason Roberts back

Yep, agreed. I think Bod may be a season away yet, given his delayed start here. But yeah, this is a brute of a division, with some big clubs with big money. (castoff Elphick is an example). What we did last year was amazing, and it was unlikely we'd do the same this season. (We don't exactly have a long history of going back to back in the Champ anyway). As you sit down over the Summer, and you try to at least chart doing it, how do you do it? How do you circumnavigate Wolves, Villa, Leeds, Boro, Derby, Norwich, Fulham, etc. (Appoint Gilkes? :wink: ). Well for starters, significant injuries to Yann and Bod very early doors wouldn't be in your ideal scenario. With just Yann alone, subtract his 20 goals, and you are going to feel it. At our level, with our scope as a club, in this league today, we'd want all our ducks in line and the stars to align...and they didn't this season at the outset with Yann and Bod.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 31 Jan 2018 05:27

They should have bought strikers and wasted it on midfielders instead, its totally their fault, they didn't even get a loan so its not like it was some unfortunate unlucky occurrence. We knew Kerm would be out for a while and there was no guarantee he'd come back fit so we put all our eggs in a striker who hasn't hit a barn door in his career. He's looked better recently but it was against a league two team and the worst team in the division yesterday, lets see how he does long term.

It was a good result that eases some growing relegation fears but make no mistake if we follow this up with a home draw or defeat to a poor Millwall team then people will be right back on Stam's case again. Its time to get some consistent positive results. I don't care who we have up, lets have another 2 wins and two draws from out next 5 games.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 31 Jan 2018 06:45

Denver Royal

Great to see who the teacher's pet is!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jan 2018 07:07

loyalroyal4life
Denver Royal

Great to see who the teacher's pet is!

Ha, thought that myself :)

Thanks for the write ups. Sounds a better performance, albeit against a poor side

Need to follow this up now with a positive result against millwall

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Jan 2018 07:49

Was working so only managed a bit of the second half. Happy to see us both winning and scoring.

Did anyone see Ilori dribbling around the 80th minute? (Ifollow doesn't have a clock) He did some kind of FIFA skill thingies to rodeo past a player right in front of him.. still not sure how it happened.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 31 Jan 2018 08:12

Hound
Thanks for the write ups. Sounds a better performance, albeit against a poor side

Need to follow this up now with a positive result against millwall

Wouldn't say it was a good performance. But it was effective against a very limited Burton team. Horses for courses springs to mind.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 31 Jan 2018 08:35

Yeah it was very much get the job done somehow!

For those of you who have seen/will see the highlights.....look out for the sad loner all on his own to the left of the away terrace! When Jon Dadi scores number 3, he puts his hands on his head.....I know this because it was me.....I thought it had gone over......then I realised it had gone in!! :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 31 Jan 2018 09:06

Good win, lets kick on and finish the season on a high ready for next year.

Millwall a big game this Saturday, the crowd need to be behind the team from the off throughout the game. Last night I felt those who went got behind the lads especially after we conceded.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 31 Jan 2018 09:27

Yup agreed. Good backing of the lads last night. Didn't hear anything particularly negative, but easier to be positive when you lead for the majority of the game I think!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Jan 2018 09:37

Brum Royal Yup agreed. Good backing of the lads last night. Didn't hear anything particularly negative, but easier to be positive when you lead for the majority of the game I think!

But according to double d, who was "there", the atmosphere was really sour? :?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Jan 2018 09:58

Brum Royal A game we thoroughly deserved to win. We could have scored more and Burton scored (the pen) from their only real chance in the game. This was not a nervy victory but one that once we got in front we never looked like giving away. Despite being pegged back to 1-1, the heads didn't drop. The second half in particular was played in fairly miserable conditions - driving rain throughout and it was never going to be pretty - but there were the individual moments of quality that we have been crying out for this season, and that proved to be the difference between the two sides.

For 1-0, an overhit Bacuna cross from the right was well retrieved by Edwards(?) and a good quality cross was tucked away by Big Daddy.

For 2-1, a good corner to the top of the box, a good touch from Gunter and a cool, left footed, placed finish into the bottom right corner from the top of the box.

For 3-1 a good through ball behind the fullback to play in Barrow and a low cross was tucked away at the near post by Big Daddy.

All 3 goals had a bit of quality and a bit of composure to them - something we have been lacking for a while. Encouraging signs.

Barrow cross retrieved by Bacuna for the first. Close..