BFTG - Derby

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

BFTG - Derby

by John Madejski's Wallet » 24 Feb 2018 18:31

Enjoyed that.
Attacked with tempo, but my word we are sh*t in defence. That 20 spell in the second half when Derby realised if they pressured us into facing our own goal we'd go to crap was almost embarrassing.

But 3 goals against that team is a good haul

Ilori and Aluko ....... Just :shock:

Awayawayaway

Re: BFTG - Derby

by Awayawayaway » 24 Feb 2018 18:33

John Madejski's Wallet Enjoyed that.
Attacked with tempo, but my word we are sh*t in defence. That 20 spell in the second half when Derby realised if they pressured us into facing our own goal we'd go to crap was almost embarrassing.

But 3 goals against that team is a good haul

Ilori and Aluko ....... Just :shock:

Money well spent on Ilori and Aluko hey JMW

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Feb 2018 18:45

I like Ilori as a player generally but he had an absolute shocker

Mannone: ok game generally but kept getting us into trouble with silly short goal kicks. Almost embarrassed with that free kick
Gunter: fine generally, again created issues with his attacking play
Richards: struggled. Stuck at it but a tough game
Moore: decent game I thought
Ilori: an absolute shocker. Struggled with Jerome
Kelly: best seen him play for a while. Sharp passing and great goal
Bacuna: mix of good and rubbish. Comes out in credit overall
Clement: Hmm - some ok stuff by too lightweight. Good player in there but seems a year or two off
Aluko: just horrible
Bod: standard Bod, worked hard, found it difficult against 2 experiences CBs. One bad miss, but did well for the goal
Barrow: caused them a lot of issues. End product not always the best but did well. Could be outstanding in a good team in this division

McCleary: did ok, got some crosses in - actually played right wing and gave us some width (note Aluko)
Swift: some good stuff, crap free kick in the last minute though. Good to have him back
Last edited by Hound on 24 Feb 2018 19:05, edited 2 times in total.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 24 Feb 2018 18:53

First time i have come away from the game happier than the manager at least today we gave it a go Barrow MOM downside Aluko shocking .

Berry

by Berry » 24 Feb 2018 18:58

Loved it....Bad defending and great goals....Can't wait for next game...Strange to say

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Feb 2018 19:01

Four minutes injury time was a joke. Lawrence was down injured for nearly two minutes early on in the second half. Then we had the red card fracas and five substitutions and two goals. There should have been about seven minutes.

I thought Kelly was much better today and my MoTM. Most others did ok but Illori was very poor and Bacuna once again made some really silly mistakes.

A great atmosphere in the final 15 minutes when we really got behind the team. Derby were cynical.

Schmeichel the dog

by Schmeichel the dog » 24 Feb 2018 19:01

Yes we pretty much gifted Derby three goals, and had a terrible twenty mins or so at the start of the second half, but that was the first game this season that I have actually enjoyed watching! At last a bit of excitement at the Madjeski! Such a change from the turgid crap we normally serve up. Just shows how the crowd respond to a bit of passion and tempo and got behind the lads. We're on a bit of a knife edge points wise but a bit more of that and we should not have to be worrying about relegation.

In terms of individual performances I like Ilori but he had a shocker. And he knew it. I'm not a Kelly fan but thought he had a really good game. Vito didn't make any obvious mistakes and pulled off one great diving save. Richards did well but seemed to tire toward the end and I thought a few nerves started to creep in. Moore was steady. Gunter was Gunter. Barrow played a blinder (MOTM). Bacuna blew hot and cold. As did Clement. Bod kept going and could have had two. Aluko was simply awful. Again.......

Subs: McCleary and Swift played well in the short time they were on and both made positive contributions. Edwards I don't think got to touch the ball. None of them replaced Aluko.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 24 Feb 2018 19:18

Enjoyable listen on a Saturday morning. It sounded like we missed a sitter or two that could have gotten us all three points.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Feb 2018 19:32

I couldn't stay away from here. We were hilariously bad at defending. Exciting game. Some good goals.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Feb 2018 19:37

Enjoyed that immensely. On paper midfield was too light and inexperienced. Though actually did very well. With no JVB. We did seem to play at quicker tempo more often.

Pleased that the crowd got behind the team. Team seemed to respond. Rebuilding that relationship is key to survival.

Settle for a point. Against a team that potentially will get promoted.

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 24 Feb 2018 19:42

How did Carson not get sent off?? Why did he have to run 50 yards to get involved with a fracas that was nothing to do with him! I believe he threw a punch too. No wonder he was booed by the crowd.
Goodish game otherwise

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 24 Feb 2018 20:23

First game I've seen for a while (owing to circumstances beyond my control!) but I'm glad I made it to this one! We played well with the exception of some panicking in defence. Most, if not all, of the players were guilty of making one or two mistakes but not one of them had a bad game (and I include Aluko and Illori in that statement!). If we continue on this form for the rest of the season we will have no worries about relegation.

MOTM for me today was Liam Kelly who, not only scored a superb goal, but was also busy, energetic and creative in mid-field. The fans got behind the team (I heard no booing at the end) and that made for a better game and a better atmosphere all round. The vocal part of the East Stand looked a bit sparse though and we need them back to help encourage the team for the rest of the season.

I thought we just had the better of a fairly even first half. We had by far the greater possession but they looked dangerous whenever they attacked us at pace.

The second half started disastrously of course and during the first 15-20 minutes I thought we were in for a pasting! However, we hung on and began to come back into the game. Maybe Derby also felt, by that time, that they would just hang onto the one goal lead. They were a very tall, strong team and were dealing comfortably with any high balls we were crossing into their box.

However, up stepped Bod to squeeze in a somewhat messy goal (but they all count!) and after that it was all Reading. Sadly, despite the Baird sending off, we could not get that winning goal but I, and I suspect most of us, would have settled for a point before the match.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Feb 2018 20:29

Enjoyable game - defensively poor shame Elphick got injured soon after his loan started as would have won that with him in the side.

Just seen Low's player ratings on Twitter; does that idiot go to the games ?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Feb 2018 20:42

Mid Sussex Royal Enjoyable game - defensively poor shame Elphick got injured soon after his loan started as would have won that with him in the side.

Just seen Low's player ratings on Twitter; does that idiot go to the games ?

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Mannone 4, Gunter 5, Richards 4, Ilori 4, Moore 5, Kelly 7, Bacuna 6, Clement 5, Aluko 5, Barrow 7, Bodvarsson 5. Subs: McCleary 4, Swift 5, Edwards 4

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 24 Feb 2018 20:47

That was great. In the first couple of minutes I was asking myself what on earth I was doing going to watch them again, but 120 mins later everything in the world seemed ok.

We didn't have much luck - every deflection seemed to go to one of their men - and should really have been 3-0 up and safe by half time, but we came back well to get a draw.

Kelly was back to his best, which should earn us a couple of million from Derby sometime in the future, Barrow was great, Aluko was engaged, and I liked Ilori, Moore and Bacuna playing the ball forward well from the back. The goals were great and so was the red card and ensuing kerfuffle.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 24 Feb 2018 21:58

Aluko was ok I thought. Nothing special, but not as bad as some are saying.

Ilori was just ridiculous. End of. You simply cannot play like that as a central defender in this div. Period. I'm not his biggest fan to begin with, so I try to be objective, but that was shameful. Absolutely cost us the win today. I was actually worried we'd score a 4th, only for him to then have another drama again. I'm not yet even sure what his position is, cos I'm not yet totally convinced it's center D in this league.

Bod was Bod. Hustles, but is limited. Doesn't play anything like his listed height, and is too often a spectator and in their back pocket when it's in the air.

Barrow rebounded nicely from his mare vs Forest and was a big factor today. He made them very uncomfortable.

Said it b4, but Bacuna flatters to deceive in midfield. I think some are realizing why he's been played at FB a bit. He showed some flashes, but manager's can't seem to get in his head and get the best out of him.

Gunter was pee'd off at himself after his late brain fart at Forest, and rebounded accordingly.

Richards is green, and boy did he fade late, but he did well overall I thought. We may have a player here. Last few games, not a lot is getting down his side, and he's distraught when we concede. It sounds obvious, but I like a LB with a decent left foot. They don't grow on trees.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 24 Feb 2018 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 24 Feb 2018 22:09

Says it all about how far we have fallen that people are celebrating a point at home against a ten men Derby team that has been about the same level as us for the last decade. Jesus christ people, whilst its not a disastrous result and there is some merit in coming from behind twice, our defending looked laughably bad again and we haven't won at home since the 28th of November.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Feb 2018 22:11

Denver Royal Aluko was ok I thought. Nothing special, but not as bad as some are saying.

Ilori was just ridiculous. You simply cannot play like that as a central defender in this div. Period. I'm not his biggest fan to begin with, so I try to be objective, but that was shameful. Absolutely cost us the win today. I was actually worried we'd score a 4th, only for him to then have another drama again. I'm not even sure what his position is, cos I'm not yet convinced it's center D in this league.

Bod was Bod. Hustles, but is limited. Doesn't play anything like his listed height, and is too often a spectator and in their back pocket when it's in the air.

Barrow rebounded nicely from his mare vs Forest and was a big factor today. He made them very uncomfortable.

Said it b4, but Bacuna flatters to deceive in midfield. I think some are realizing why he's been played at FB a bit. He showed some flashes, but manager's can't seem to get in his head and get the best out of him.

Gunter was pee'd off at himself after his late brain fart at Forest, and rebounded accordingly.

Richards is green, and boy did he fade late, but he did well overall I thought. Going forward, we may have a player. Last few games not a lot is getting down his side. Sounds obvious, but I like a LB with a decent left foot. They don't grow on trees.

Agree with a lot of this. Bacuna just doesn’t seem to have a football brain and has a poor mistake in him every game.
Illori was at fault for two of the goals. Not sure whose poor header directly put us in trouble for their second goal.If that was Illori then he had a hat-trick of assists for Derby. Not good enough.
Kelly was very good today. One cracking goal and very nearly another in the second half. He was very busy and more positive today.

Richards did really tire. In contrast Gunter was still galloping forward at the end.
Barrow very good. Aluko’s corners were poor.
Last edited by Zip on 24 Feb 2018 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Feb 2018 22:13

FiNeRaIn Says it all about how far we have fallen that people are celebrating a point at home against a ten men Derby team that has been about the same level as us for the last decade. Jesus christ people, whilst its not a disastrous result and there is some merit in coming from behind twice, our defending looked laughably bad again and we haven't won at home since the 28th of November.

Well it was a cracking game for a start. We played well in the first half and showed some fight in the second period. Significantly better than the gutless displays against Burton, Brum, Millwall etc

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 24 Feb 2018 22:19

FiNeRaIn Says it all about how far we have fallen that people are celebrating a point at home against a ten men Derby team that has been about the same level as us for the last decade. Jesus christ people, whilst its not a disastrous result and there is some merit in coming from behind twice, our defending looked laughably bad again and we haven't won at home since the 28th of November.

Derby were 10 men for 5 mins. Of course, you knew that.

We're aware of our home record. How? Because we are anyway. And if we weren't, we could look it up.

Anyway, you've mentioned out record a few times already.

FiNeRaIn Another game without a win at home.

FiNeRaIn Haven’t won at home in the league since November 28th. That is appalling.

Right, so either, A) You think reading comprehension isn't our strong suit in here, or B) You like flooding this place with your negativity, and visiting it on everyone else, without any conscience or regard whatsoever.

Again, we are well aware of our record. And if we're not, we can look it up. (Tough concept to grasp, I know.) We can discuss our season record any time, and Stam, but this thread is about the Derby game. As such...

Questions: Who do you think played well today? Did you like Stam's lineup at the outset?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 25 Feb 2018 01:11, edited 2 times in total.