478 posts
SpaghettiHoop

Re: Building for next season

by SpaghettiHoop » 18 May 2018 07:34

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth
RoyalBlue If only.................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8USo1jzEH3Y

Looks far too good to even wish we could have him from that video!

Loool. He’s already on 27k a week, not to mention that he’s far too good for us.

Work permit?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 18 May 2018 08:30

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
John Smith And you saw all of that from the Lower West stand?

Dreamer

I have no idea what point he is trying to make. Because I can't see the striker on the screen seeing Gunter stand 5 yards off his man as he crosses the ball into our box is irrelevant?

It's pretty simple. Live at the game you get a far better view of overall shape, off the ball play and defensive positioning. On screen you get a far better view of individual match incidents all over the pitch and can rewatch the tight calls.

Right. I get that excluding the fact humans have limited vision so obviously can't watch the whole pitch at the same time but I wasn't arguing that watching a match on a screen is better? Just we were attacked down the flanks quite a bit this season and everything I know and have seen about Gunter (not just this season) points to him being completely unsuitable to playing as a CB whatever the team shape is.
I don't believe watching a game live would have shown me Gunter making last ditch challenges "every other game". They usually follow the ball when filming football..

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 May 2018 09:28

Actually think Clement's arrival and the subsequent run of form has been the best way Reading could have survived as PC would have learned a hell of a lot more about the squad and their mental make up than he would have done if Reading had gone on a winning run.

Overall it's not a bad squad Reading have, it is talented but it's just terribly unbalanced in terms character so it's largely that that needs addressing (besides the main need for a striker) so the need for a complete overhaul is probably not necessary, more careful pruning and replacement in key areas.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 May 2018 10:15

Sutekh Actually think Clement's arrival and the subsequent run of form has been the best way Reading could have survived as PC would have learned a hell of a lot more about the squad and their mental make up than he would have done if Reading had gone on a winning run.

Overall it's not a bad squad Reading have, it is talented but it's just terribly unbalanced in terms character so it's largely that that needs addressing (besides the main need for a striker) so the need for a complete overhaul is probably not necessary, more careful pruning and replacement in key areas.

Interesting to note about Andy Yiadom is he has been captain of Barnet and Barnsley. May have been brought in for that as much as anything else. Not necessarily to be captain, but for more leaders on the pitch. Think that's one of the things we miss most about Williams and Al-Habsi - both were on-the-pitch leaders

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 May 2018 10:18

agreed with that. Another reason why Yiadom looks a good signing. I think Elphick may well be the right player to come in as well if Villa do go up

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 18 May 2018 21:58

NewCorkSeth Just we were attacked down the flanks quite a bit this season and everything I know and have seen about Gunter (not just this season) points to him being completely unsuitable to playing as a CB whatever the team shape is.

Totally agree. There was next to no defensive cover (tracking back) for the full backs. Likewise the centre of the defence was equally left totally exposed on far too many occasions. Finally on the last game of the season. Clement partnered JVB and Bacuna in front of a back 3. We looked so much better.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 May 2018 16:10

Lower West
NewCorkSeth Just we were attacked down the flanks quite a bit this season and everything I know and have seen about Gunter (not just this season) points to him being completely unsuitable to playing as a CB whatever the team shape is.

Totally agree. There was next to no defensive cover (tracking back) for the full backs. Likewise the centre of the defence was equally left totally exposed on far too many occasions. Finally on the last game of the season. Clement partnered JVB and Bacuna in front of a back 3. We looked so much better.

Well we looked less likely to concede ... but we had one shot and that wasn't on target.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 May 2018 21:38

James Collins released by West Ham. Could do a decent job for us at the back end of his career.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 May 2018 08:50

Double d v2
Ascotexgunner James Collins released by West Ham. Could do a decent job for us at the back end of his career.
wouldn't say no

Not for me, accident waiting to happen. Saw him in a game 2 season ago for West Ham when they lost at home to Watford, comfortably 2-0 up, Collins mistake -> 2-1, West Ham lose the game 2-4.

No better than what we have and would rather see a couple of youngsters get some bench time.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 May 2018 08:59

Double d v2
Hendo
Double d v2 wouldn't say no

Not for me, accident waiting to happen. Saw him in a game 2 season ago for West Ham when they lost at home to Watford, comfortably 2-0 up, Collins mistake -> 2-1, West Ham lose the game 2-4.

No better than what we have and would rather see a couple of youngsters get some bench time.

That's just 1 game.....

Meh, still didn't impress me. Plus, as I said, he is not better than what we have got. Would rather we try harder to sign Elphic than pick up hasbeen journeymen.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 22 May 2018 09:52

Hendo
Double d v2
Hendo

That's just 1 game.....

Meh, still didn't impress me. Plus, as I said, he is not better than what we have got. Would rather we try harder to sign Elphic than pick up hasbeen journeymen.

He's already got one assist for us with a brilliant through ball to Pog a few years back. Which is one more than any of our midfielders managed last season.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 May 2018 10:27

Hendo Meh, still didn't impress me. Plus, as I said, he is not better than what we have got. Would rather we try harder to sign Elphic than pick up hasbeen journeymen.

Hardly a journeyman....he's only played for 3 clubs in just over 17 years......

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 May 2018 10:30

Wycombe Royal
Hendo Meh, still didn't impress me. Plus, as I said, he is not better than what we have got. Would rather we try harder to sign Elphic than pick up hasbeen journeymen.

Hardly a journeyman....he's only played for 3 clubs in just over 17 years......

Yeah, that probably wasn't the best word to describe him. It was more of statement on transfer policy in general.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 May 2018 13:47

Ascotexgunner James Collins released by West Ham. Could do a decent job for us at the back end of his career.

Was thinking this only this morning. He'd be class in the Championship - solid

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 May 2018 15:33

Hendo Meh, still didn't impress me. Plus, as I said, he is not better than what we have got. Would rather we try harder to sign Elphic than pick up has been journeymen.

Assuming that Collins isn't washed up, he is clearly better than anything we have (and Elphick).

Unless you envisage Ilori and Moore both having a 14 year career at CB in the PL?

He's likely lost something to age by now, but he'd be dropping down a level (and its a big drop).

Also has over 50 caps for Wales.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 May 2018 15:41

Denver Royal
Hendo Meh, still didn't impress me. Plus, as I said, he is not better than what we have got. Would rather we try harder to sign Elphic than pick up has been journeymen.

Assuming he isn't washed up, he is clearly better than anything we have (and Elphick).

Unless you envisage Ilori and Moore having a 14 year career at CB in the PL?

By that logic, so is John O'Shea? He had a pretty lengthy PL career.

Having a premier league career doesn't always equal a good player.

Also would be hard for TI and LM to have a 14 year career seeing as they would've had to made their debuts at 11.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 May 2018 15:42

Denver Royal

Chris Gunter has 87 caps for Wales yet people think he is terrible.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 May 2018 15:48

Hendo By that logic, so is John O'Shea? He had a pretty lengthy PL career.

Having a premier league career doesn't always equal a good player.

Well, we all have our own opinions of individual players, but its pretty hard to hide in the PL for 14 years and make almost 300 appearances if you aren't a good player. There is so much money in the PL, so much competition, so many players queuing up and fighting to take your place.

There's a reason Ilori and Moore aren't starting in the PL right now.

Hendo
Denver Royal

Chris Gunter has 87 caps for Wales yet people think he is terrible.

He isn't.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 May 2018 17:35

Liked James Collins a few years ago.

Haven’t seen enough of him recently to see if he is in good enough shape to be an option. Little bit short term for my liking though, but can understand the logic of why people would want him

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 May 2018 18:14

I'm out solely for the reason he'd be coming from West Ham. Bleurch.

478 posts