Paul Clement to Napoli?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Paul Clement to Napoli?

by paultheroyal » 17 May 2018 08:38

Clement wants to be his own man and make this work. He ain’t going anywhere regardless of how big or not Napoli are.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 May 2018 11:57

paultheroyal Clement wants to be his own man and make this work. He ain’t going anywhere regardless of how big or not Napoli are.

Haha ye right. Napoli or Reading, hmmmm...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 May 2018 11:58

John Smith
paultheroyal Clement wants to be his own man and make this work. He ain’t going anywhere regardless of how big or not Napoli are.

Napoli are in the Champions League next season. He is going to want a pizza the action surely?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 May 2018 13:32

John Smith

Done his stint of number 2's ooh er.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 May 2018 13:33

Old Man Andrews
John Smith

Napoli are in the Champions League next season. He is going to want a pizza the action surely?

You are a weirdough

;-)

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 May 2018 14:47

3points
TiagoIlori
3points Honourable exit for him. I think it’ll be a win-win. Agree with Wazzock, just didn’t see anything in those 8 games where I thought he was a big improvement on Stam, Clarke, Adkins. In for Nigel Clough though

I don’t think it’s fair to judge a manager that came in late in the season. Unless he does something significant either way, I think we should reserve any form of judgement until Christmas.

i didn't like his persona or the way he set the team up so I've already made my judgement I'm afraid. For example, if he'd managed to get Aluko to stay out wide and play as a proper winger or wide forward then I'd have seen that as some progress. it just felt very much "more of the same".

royalp-we The last 6 weeks was all about getting over the line. Why would he overthrow the whole philosophy and get players playing completely differently? 38 games in to a season would not be a good time to change things drastically.

Not sure getting Aluko to stay wider would have required a 'drastic overthrow of philosophy'? Pretty sure Clement must have given instructions and directives to players, both as a team and individually(?)

Anyway, it raises a point. We've had two managers now who haven't got Aluko to stay wide, so contrary to what we think in here, maybe that's not been the plan for him anyway? If it is, and he's been told, and yet he's just not doing it, they could sub him off at half-time? So, I'm starting to think they haven't really wanted him out wide, or at least not to the extent that we do.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 May 2018 20:58

Denver Royal
3points
TiagoIlori I don’t think it’s fair to judge a manager that came in late in the season. Unless he does something significant either way, I think we should reserve any form of judgement until Christmas.

i didn't like his persona or the way he set the team up so I've already made my judgement I'm afraid. For example, if he'd managed to get Aluko to stay out wide and play as a proper winger or wide forward then I'd have seen that as some progress. it just felt very much "more of the same".

royalp-we The last 6 weeks was all about getting over the line. Why would he overthrow the whole philosophy and get players playing completely differently? 38 games in to a season would not be a good time to change things drastically.

Not sure getting Aluko to stay wider would have required a 'drastic overthrow of philosophy'? Pretty sure Clement must have given instructions and directives to players, both as a team and individually(?)

Anyway, it raises a point. We've had two managers now who haven't got Aluko to stay wide, so contrary to what we think in here, maybe that's not been the plan for him anyway? If it is, and he's been told, and yet he's just not doing it, they could sub him off at half-time? So, I'm starting to think they haven't really wanted him out wide, or at least not to the extent that we do.

Which is even more odd. Its left us so one sided in attack most games and easy to defend/counter-attack against.

elrey

by elrey » 18 May 2018 09:12

Well, he got us the 8 points needed for survival. I don't think he's necessarily that good a manager and he has to know if he walks out on Reading after a few months to suck up with Ancellotti then no one would ever hire him again.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 May 2018 09:17

I think PC is unlikely to go anywhere. Believe he said that one of the reasons for taking the Reading job was to be near to his kids at last.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 May 2018 16:01

Ancelotti to Napoli is pretty much a done deal.

Squeaky bum time...

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 May 2018 16:51

genome Ancelotti to Napoli is pretty much a done deal.

Squeaky bum time...

that he will go, or that he won't?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 24 May 2018 07:04

Squeaky bum time...

To be fair I'd prefer him leave now rather than 6 months into the season - if he leaves now, we'll get nice compensation and we have enough time to bring in a replacement before the players return to training. I think it's win win.

At same time I totally don't expect this to happen - he'll be more eager to prove himself as a manager than be assistant manager.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 May 2018 07:44

Can’t see him going

Wonder if Napoli have any great young players who’d like a year in england though

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 May 2018 08:38

Royalwaster

Squeaky bum time...

To be fair I'd prefer him leave now rather than 6 months into the season - if he leaves now, we'll get nice compensation and we have enough time to bring in a replacement before the players return to training. I think it's win win.

At same time I totally don't expect this to happen - he'll be more eager to prove himself as a manager than be assistant manager.

The problem of course if he leaves is another disjointed pre-season. Deals will already be lined up for players Clement wants in and if he walks and a new manager comes in, he may have very different views as to what/who he wants in.

Don't think it will happen either, he'll only go to Napoli as/when he gets fired from here. Could open up another avenue for decent loans or purchases from Napoli.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 24 May 2018 09:25

He publically congratulated him on twitter on his appointment (and he isn't prolific on twitter). I think if something was on in the offing he wouldn't have said anything on twitter.....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 May 2018 09:31

The last thing you want is Clement going. He's seen the shortcomings in the squad and made decisions based on that with purchases being made in the summer to try and address it. Of course whether it's for the good or not remains to be seen but the last thing you want is another change and all back to the drawing board leading to another wasted close season and another manager in to review the squad etc. etc.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 May 2018 11:15

Only one Trevor Morley He publically congratulated him on twitter on his appointment (and he isn't prolific on twitter). I think if something was on in the offing he wouldn't have said anything on twitter.....

Saw this and tend to agree.