South Stand

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

South Stand

by Royal_jimmy » 13 Jun 2018 23:27

Heard that half the south stand will be home fans only from next season. Away fans will get allocations of up to 2,400 from next year as owners and management want to give away fans less advantage.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: South Stand

by Zip » 14 Jun 2018 00:41

Royal_jimmy Heard that half the south stand will be home fans only from next season. Away fans will get allocations of up to 2,400 from next year as owners and management want to give away fans less advantage.

Fair enough although I like the large away support as it provides more atmosphere

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 14 Jun 2018 08:03

Means we're unlikely to see 20,000+ fans in the stadium any time soon unless we catch a big team in the cup.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 14 Jun 2018 10:36

Elm Park Kid Means we're unlikely to see 20,000+ fans in the stadium any time soon unless we catch a big team in the cup.

Oh but at least the numpty 'ultras' will be able to do their thing

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jun 2018 10:50

Good to see they are losing the megaphone. It was embarassing.

Good luck to them.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 14 Jun 2018 11:07

John Smith
Elm Park Kid Means we're unlikely to see 20,000+ fans in the stadium any time soon unless we catch a big team in the cup.

Oh but at least the numpty 'ultras' will be able to do their thing

I can't support that attitude at all. Reading fans are a whining bunch of tw@ts... we want more atmosphere and as soon as people try it's described as "embarassing" and they should stop

I agree about the megaphone that was sheeeet.

But most of these clubs with hardcore support in one place, e.g. Crystal palace, would have started out in a similar manner. I'm not saying that Reading and their "Blarrrmmy" chants will be like that, but it really can't hurt.

Also it's good to have fans behind the goal and this group started with about 50 there and have grown to over 400 already. With the support from the club it can only be a good thing.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 14 Jun 2018 11:07

Oh but I am a bit gutted that we won't have 4000 Villa, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday fans who tbf do create fecking great atmosphere

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Jun 2018 11:55

amazed that the owners are seemingly happy to turn away paying customers, when ticket sales have been dropping severely

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Jun 2018 12:05

Good. When away fans packed out the South Stand it was an advantage to them - the players even said that.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jun 2018 12:10

genome Good. When away fans packed out the South Stand it was an advantage to them - the players even said that.

To play devils advocate, (I am in favour of the South Stand initiative) what were the players going to say? That they hated it and wanted it to go? I don't think the players opinion on it means too much.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Jun 2018 12:14

Maneki Neko amazed that the owners are seemingly happy to turn away paying customers, when ticket sales have been dropping severely

Good to see its not all about the money and we must be financially sound.

Great move by the club, this can only grow. Just need to open up that blooming safety gate and all is good.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Jun 2018 12:14

Old Man Andrews
genome Good. When away fans packed out the South Stand it was an advantage to them - the players even said that.

To play devils advocate, (I am in favour of the South Stand initiative) what were the players going to say? That they hated it and wanted it to go? I don't think the players opinion on it means too much.

I think it's probably true to an extent though. In the second half of matches, away team chasing a goal attacking the away end, Reading fans are silent and there's 4000 vociferous away fans roaring their team on and trying to suck the ball into the net. Definite going to work in their favour.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jun 2018 12:20

genome
Old Man Andrews

I think it's probably true to an extent though. In the second half of matches, away team chasing a goal attacking the away end, Reading fans are silent and there's 4000 vociferous away fans roaring their team on and trying to suck the ball into the net. Definite going to work in their favour.

It can't do any harm having a few hundred in there. The real test will come when we play a Millwall or a Leeds. I'd imagine it is beyond their mental capacity to understand why only a few hundred supporters are in the stand singing and they could see it as easy prey if they are in the mood to cause trouble.

One87One

by One87One » 14 Jun 2018 12:27

Pleased to see this approved by the club. The more noise the better!

Noise behind the goal is preferable for me, so I’m happy to give this a go and switch my season ticket in July.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 14 Jun 2018 12:29

Oh and it's brilliant that this is unreserved seating.

Also remember that safe standing is likely to become more and more regular across the leagues (I think anyway). Reading have supported this campaign and I can imagine them installing this in the South Stand.

One87One

by One87One » 15 Jun 2018 08:32

bobby1413 Oh and it's brilliant that this is unreserved seating.

Also remember that safe standing is likely to become more and more regular across the leagues (I think anyway). Reading have supported this campaign and I can imagine them installing this in the South Stand.

Ultimately maybe, however the proposals thus far have always been Y25 and Y26 because the fans largely stand there anyway, and that is where most of the noise (currently) comes from.

Once rail seats get the nod and clubs realise there's a huge demand for them, I can see a few areas of each ground with safe standing.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 15 Jun 2018 09:32

Old Man Andrews Good to see they are losing the megaphone. It was embarassing.

Good luck to them.

Do people still insist this guy isn't Kes, btw?

Asking for a friend.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jun 2018 08:42

Green

Good luck to them.

Asking for a friend.

If by people you mean OMWkes himself... yeah.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jun 2018 14:26

Snowflake Royal
Green

Good luck to them.

Asking for a friend.

If by people you mean OMWkes himself... yeah.

Something that isn't up for debate is the fact everyone thinks you're a massive, massive prick. No doubt it is the same in real life for you too.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jun 2018 15:15

A very Kes-like response.