BFTG - Forest away

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG - Forest away

by Sutekh » 11 Aug 2018 18:45

Another game and another defeat. Forest away normally is so no real difference from any past season there. Last time we went there for an August fixture we lost 4-1 so an improvement on that

Overall there does seem to be some improvement in the team and the way it plays and anyone who was expecting anything more than mid table at best with this current rebuild is deluded.

An unluckiy loss to Derby and now this result shouldn’t set alarm bells ringing but it does heighten the main issue which is a serious lack of attacking prowess.

Desperately need midfield invention to challenge and cover the seemingly permanently crocked Swift for a start.

Anyway speed your ramblings below.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Forest away

by bobby1413 » 11 Aug 2018 18:54

About time you got your act together

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Aug 2018 19:24

Thought we played well for the most part and didn’t deserve to lose but it’s painfully apparent where we are going to struggle. So impotent up front.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 11 Aug 2018 19:33

Just got back. I really enjoyed that. Yes we lost, but we weren’t outclassed. We played well and created chances. Forest were no better or worse than us, they created a few half chances....but most of their best chances came from our mistakes. Grabban’s 1 on 1 with Vito, the close header and the goal. I thought Vito played well, but had little chance with the goal. I was impressed with the back 4 and our central midfield. Attacking wise, it seems to be slowly coming together, but we didn’t use Barrow nearly enough. I really like Meite, but he clearly still needs time to develop his game. He has a real hunger and works hard for the team.....however, he may not be the answer this season. Overall no need to panic yet, however obviously if we don’t start scoring a few more of our chances then it’ll be a long old season!!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Aug 2018 19:40

Seen the long season quotes on quite a few outlets this evening. in truth it won`t be any longer than any other team.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Aug 2018 19:54

Kitsondinho Just got back. I really enjoyed that. Yes we lost, but we weren’t outclassed. We played well and created chances. Forest were no better or worse than us, they created a few half chances....but most of their best chances came from our mistakes. Grabban’s 1 on 1 with Vito, the close header and the goal. I thought Vito played well, but had little chance with the goal. I was impressed with the back 4 and our central midfield. Attacking wise, it seems to be slowly coming together, but we didn’t use Barrow nearly enough. I really like Meite, but he clearly still needs time to develop his game. He has a real hunger and works hard for the team.....however, he may not be the answer this season. Overall no need to panic yet, however obviously if we don’t start scoring a few more of our chances then it’ll be a long old season!!

In other words we’re fcuked.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 11 Aug 2018 20:13

leon
Kitsondinho Just got back. I really enjoyed that. Yes we lost, but we weren’t outclassed. We played well and created chances. Forest were no better or worse than us, they created a few half chances....but most of their best chances came from our mistakes. Grabban’s 1 on 1 with Vito, the close header and the goal. I thought Vito played well, but had little chance with the goal. I was impressed with the back 4 and our central midfield. Attacking wise, it seems to be slowly coming together, but we didn’t use Barrow nearly enough. I really like Meite, but he clearly still needs time to develop his game. He has a real hunger and works hard for the team.....however, he may not be the answer this season. Overall no need to panic yet, however obviously if we don’t start scoring a few more of our chances then it’ll be a long old season!!

In other words we’re fcuked.

Yeah, but in a really positive, much improved way.....

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Aug 2018 20:35

I’m going to start with ratings.

Mannone 5 - remarkably unremarkable.

Yiadom 7 - quickly becoming my favourite player. Best right back we’ve had for almost a decade.

Ilori 8 - hard to pick between him and Yiadom but was once again excellent, mature and commanding performance.

McShane 6 - less of a liability but too uncultured often giving away possession by hoofing it where there was perhaps a better option. Is seemingly forming a decent partnership with Ilori though so think it would be harsh to drop him. As much as it pains me to say it I’d persist atm.

Blackett 4 - quite a Blackett performance, some good some bad, some very very bad.

Meyler 5 - didn’t notice him too much which might be a good thing. Did have a tendency to just lump it back in but probably solid enough.

Kelly 5 - saw a lot of the ball and found some good passes down the left but still not enough cutting edge creatively. Average set piece delivery at times.

Barrow 5 - was marked out of the game didn’t have much joy at all but still managed to get into a couple of dangerous areas.

Bod 6 - a lot of running and commitment and endeavour but lacks quality. Nothing we don’t already know.

Meite 6 - would be worth £20 million if he had a first touch, unfortunately he doesn’t. Still very raw. Didn’t realise how much of a beast he is in the air. Happy to persist with him especially if it’s at the expense of Aluko.

Baldock 5 - still don’t really know what to make of Baldock but he didn’t have a sniff. We need to find a way of linking up our strikers but we’re a long way off the mark there. Never really had the ball in any dangerous areas.

Cba to do subs but good to see McNulty. Did absolutely nothing but not really his fault.

Referee utterly atrocious, beyond belief the amount of shit he let Forest get away with, to see he didn’t book one of their players is incredible.

Forest looked very average, won’t be causing anyone any trouble based on that.

Our overall performances certainly haven’t warranted us being bottom with zero points and whilst our inadequate strike force and attack means we will struggle for goals this season, I’ve seen enough in our play to suggest we should be ok, but the longer we go on without a win (or a draw for that matter) the quicker confidence will sink and the harder it will be.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 11 Aug 2018 21:04

Whens McNulty going to get a shot considering he is prolific and our front line is far from it?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Aug 2018 21:07

v Brum next week

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Aug 2018 21:14

I think the strike force will score goals given time. Baldock is a quality player who will do well once settled imo, and Bod despite his clear limitations is a pain in the arse to play against, and will score 10+ for us

McNulty is a bit of an unknown but Im hopeful he’ll acclimatise

Meite and the likes of Swift and Barrow should chip on with a few as well. Happy to be fairly patient for the moment. There are enough good signs I think, but I’d feel massively better if we are sitting on 3 points this time next week

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 11 Aug 2018 21:26

Hound I think the strike force will score goals given time. Baldock is a quality player who will do well once settled imo, and Bod despite his clear limitations is a pain in the arse to play against, and will score 10+ for us

McNulty is a bit of an unknown but Im hopeful he’ll acclimatise

Meite and the likes of Swift and Barrow should chip on with a few as well. Happy to be fairly patient for the moment. There are enough good signs I think, but I’d feel massively better if we are sitting on 3 points this time next week

+1

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 11 Aug 2018 21:40

Just got back. As others have said I didn't think we deserved to lose that. From our end it looked like we gifted the chance to them after a defensive mix up. I thought the team played well and were perhaps guilty of over playing in the first half and we never had a final ball. If we'd just shoot and go for the rebounds or second balls we'd do better.

It was a bit like Derby, no luck on our side, Forest were very professional killing our breaks and delaying free kicks, the ref was a homer and should have at least booked their number 4 for two cynical tackles on a breakaway. Our best chance fell to Bod but somehow he scuffed it, the ball went under the defender just enough to slow if for the keeper to catch.

I have to think we'll be ok if we keep playing like that but I wonder when the pressure to get points will set in and the confidence goes. Bolton next week is now a big one.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Aug 2018 21:59

I think that’s my biggest worry tbh- not that we haven’t the players or tactics, more just getting out of this losing rut

Hopefully there is enough experience and know How from the likes of Meyler, Baldock and McShane/Moore to turn things around

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Aug 2018 22:04

They say the sign of a good team is one that wins even when playing badly. This Reading team is not a team that are going to do that, so they really need to pick up points when they're playing well. The fact that they are not doing that is a massive worry.

Awful atmosphere from the home fans until they scored. Really quiet.

Mannone - Needs to be far more decisive in his box. 6

Yiadom - A right back who actually tries to get forward rather than turning back at every opportunity. Haven't seen one of those in a while. 7
Illori - One dodgy moment in the first half which Mannone rescued him from but very good apart from that, with less overly casual moments than usual. 8 motm.
McShane - Oh dear. Failed to clear his lines on numerous occasions, poor touch when he was trying to bring the ball down led to us being pinned back and eventually conceding the goal. Need Moore back in asap. 4
Blackett - One of his better games bar one dodgy moment. 6

Meite - Poor first touch, works hard but lacking quality. 6
Meyler - Put himself about but lacking pace. 5
Kelly - Some nice tidy passing. Just can't help thinking that he could do more. 6
Barrow - Hardly in the game until late on. 5

Baldock - Another hard worker who lacks quality. 5
Bod - And another one. Tried but his finishing let him and us down majorly. 5

Subs:
Richards - Shame from his pov that Obita is still injured because he really needs a loan move. Bit of a nightmare for him, although on one occasion he wasn't helped by a hospital pass from his captain. 4

Bacuna - 5

Mcnulty - 5

We really need to get our season up and running next week.
Last edited by sandman on 12 Aug 2018 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Aug 2018 22:53

That game had very little quality in it. We have plenty of endeavour and sharpness but there's no cutting edge there. I was disappointed to see Swift not bought on, he's the only player who can actually create something from the centre of the park. He's clearly injured but why would he be on the bench if he isn't fit?

Forest were average, on that showing they won't do much this season. Their goal was from a defensive Meyler error rather than being the better side.

I cba to do reviews but I was surprised to see Richards bought on at the end. I have no idea what Clement was thinking there.

As for the squad, it just looks short on quality, ambition and bite all over the pitch. We are 2-3 quality signings light. I can't help but think someone creative to compete with Swift would help our chance creation. I blame the board for that. Since Gourlay has come in, we've signed so many really poor players at crazy fees with no real rationale for them being in the squad. I am sure Baldock will improve when he settles in but I just don't think he suits the system we play. The same could be said for a fair few others too. The fact we are putting in better performances but are still losing games is a huge concern.

I hope I am wrong but I just don't see Clement as the man to turn around what's been a decline over the past year.

My MoM is Ilori, he seems much better from last year.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 12 Aug 2018 08:48

Glad I waited to post - in the hours after the game emotions were high & I felt we were robbed. In truth we weren’t robbed, but we certainly didn’t deserve to lose that - we looked the better in possession for sizeable spells of the game. It was a scrappy game but we were competitive throughout - a refreshing change from the shower we saw under Stam. Plenty of effort & an enjoyable game to watch IMO.

However, once again we were let down by the lack of a quality striker. For me, we’ve not signed the right striker in this window. We’ve signed 2 pint-sized strikers but non who can lead the line on their own. What we actually needed was a more mobile version than Jon Dadi - someone who can lead the line on their own. Jon Dadi strikes me as someone more effective than coming off the bench. We’d even look more dangerous with Cameron Jerome up front.

Mannone 5 - he just doesn’t instill much confidence in the back 4
Yiadom 7 - good little signing this guy is
Illori 8 - didn’t put a foot wrong, very quick & commanding
McShane 6 - I’m a big Paul fan but he has definitely declined
Blackett 6 - actually feel sorry for him. He didn’t do much wrong yesterday.

Meyler 6 - he’s def better than Joey but that’s not saying much. We looked better when Bacuna came on
Kelly 6 - thought he had a decent game. Really spread the ball well. Should’ve shot in the 1st half with a good opportunity
Barrow 6 - should’ve utilised him more, didn’t get the ball enough
Meite 6 - had Osborn for toast but tired as the game went on

Baldock 5 - wasn’t in the game
Bod 5 - plenty of effort, shame he’s not very good

Subs
Bacuna 7 - this guy is ridiculously hot & cold. Thought he played really well
McNulty 5 - did he touch the ball?
Richards 5 - was it his side where the goal came from?

Fans 7 - thought we made some decent noise bearing in mind only 200-300 of us could actually bother to stand

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 12 Aug 2018 09:46

Read Clement's comments about "doing some business in the loan window with 2 or 3 on the radar" and Popa back in training. Apparently, a "wide man" is the priority.

No, no it's not. A centre forward is the priority. Everyone can see that, shirley?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2018 09:55

Dick Habbin's hairdo Read Clement's comments about "doing some business in the loan window with 2 or 3 on the radar" and Popa back in training. Apparently, a "wide man" is the priority.

No, no it's not. A centre forward is the priority. Everyone can see that, shirley?

I just don’t see how we could go out and get ANOTHER striker when we’ve already signed 2 (admittedly strange ones) this summer. Who’s even available to get for a potential loan?

None of our strikers seem to be ones that can create for themselves and so we really need the service. Equally they aren’t the type of strikers to run in behind which is what causes defences trouble. Bod sort of is but certainly isn’t overly quick and is far more likely to scuff the shot, kick the turf and fall over, than he is to make the keeper work.

A quality creative midfielder for me is a must. I hoped Kelly could provide that but he just doesn’t have it in his locker, Swift who has the ability is permacrocked and blows hot and cold.

You know, if we could get another winger of genuine quality I’d almost consider playing Barrow up top with Baldock/McNulty and have the former running in behind stretching the defences.
Last edited by CountryRoyal on 12 Aug 2018 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 12 Aug 2018 09:57

Playing with more intent this year which is good. When we upped the pressure, we started creating some chances.
Played quite well, but to be honest, I think if this team ‘clicks’ they will still be a plum average championship team.
Bodvarsson is not a natural striker. He has got to score those half chances he keeps fluffing or missing.
The midfield has got to be sharper and more creative.
What happened to Kelly? A few years back he was renowned for some cracking long range goals. Yesterday , even when the seas parted and he had a total view on goal, he’d turn round and send a long pass to the wings.
This can only mean that they are expecting Bod to nod it in every time and that ain’t gonna happen.

A good Champ team will not rely on sneaking the odd goal here and there, they need an attack that puts constant pressure on the opposition and a midfield that commands the centre of the pitch. Neither of which we have at the moment.