Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by Sutekh » 11 Sep 2018 09:27

When : Saturday 8th September, 3pm
Where : Deepdale, Preston, PR1 6RU
Capacity : 23,404
Away Stand : Bill Shankly Kop
What might I see in the area : Dourness

The ramshackle mess that has been masquerading as Reading FC’s start to the season next manifests into plain sight at Deepdale in Preston. Deep joy will aboundeth for those hardy souls that will make the trip for they shall traveleth by tandem and make a bucket load for charity.

But then Preston don’t have much more to crow about either. True, they have won a league game this season but if Reading did manage to break their winless duck they’d move above Preston in the table as their 5 points would be better than Preston’s by dint of goal difference,

Preston will be missing Ben Pearson who starts a 3 game ban after being sent off v Bolton for violent conduct in the 98th minute after his side had thrown away a 2-0 lead at home. Reading will be without McCleary, Edwards, Obita and Harriott but Bodvarsson should be back after illness. In addition new Iranian international Saeid Ezatolahi might make his debut though whether it’ll make the slightest difference to the overall frustratingness of Reading’s performances remains to be seen.

Referee

Meticulously monitoring the excitement levels will be Bond, Darren Bond

Previously

03 Apr 18 > Aston Villa 3-0 Reading
20 Jan 17 > Reading 0-1 Brentford
30 Nov 17 > Reading 3-0 Barnsley
11 Feb 17 > Reading 0-0 Barnsley
13 Aug 16 > Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 Reading
14 Mar 15 > Watford 4-1 Reading
30 Aug 14 > Middlesbrough 0-1 Reading

Historically

It took 9 visits to Deepdale to get a first win and there have only been 4 for Reading in the total 27 league games played there to date. In that time Preston have managed 18 home victories very much setting a low expectation for Reading in this fixture. So that’s now one home victory for every goal Preston scored in that 18-0 cup game back in the 1890s. So just the sort of game you want on the back of Reading’s run then.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to Deepdale
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription (presuming you can get the commentary working at all)
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
  6. BBC Radio Lancashire (FM : 95.5, 103.9, 104.5; MW : 855, 1557 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Sep 2018 16:43

No Coote no party.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 11 Sep 2018 16:53

We need a win but at the same time I would take a point at Deepdale. From recollection we have a poor record there certainly in recent times.

GK - Mannone
RB - Gunter
LB - Blackett
CB - Moore (C)
CB - Ilori
CB - McShane
RM - Yiadom
LM - Barrow
CDM - Bacuna
CDM - Meyler
ST - Baldock

Yiadom on the right wing, direct on the ball and capable of playing further up ahead of Gunter. Willing to give Mcshane a chance at redemption but not as captain. He needs to focus on his own game first and foremost.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 11 Sep 2018 18:32

Combining the game with a trip to my in laws for the weekend who live locally. Hopefully, we'll manage to get something.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 11 Sep 2018 20:23

When : Saturday 8th September, 3pm

Shirley that has to be the 15th?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 11 Sep 2018 20:40

bracksroyal10 We need a win but at the same time I would take a point at Deepdale. From recollection we have a poor record there certainly in recent times.

GK - Mannone
RB - Gunter
LB - Blackett
CB - Moore (C)
CB - Ilori
CB - McShane
RM - Yiadom
LM - Barrow
CDM - Bacuna
CDM - Meyler
ST - Baldock

Yiadom on the right wing, direct on the ball and capable of playing further up ahead of Gunter. Willing to give Mcshane a chance at redemption but not as captain. He needs to focus on his own game first and foremost.

That looks very defensive to me. It would worry me if they went a goal behind. It wouldn't surprise me if Clement does do something like that though, he hasn't the b+ll+cks or managing astuteness to put a really attacking team with a plan out.
Gunter worries me as well. Absolutely way out of his depth in Denmark and didn't look comfortable in that Welsh side. Wonder if its a lack of matches mind.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Sep 2018 21:40

bracksroyal10 We need a win but at the same time I would take a point at Deepdale. From recollection we have a poor record there certainly in recent times.

GK - Mannone
RB - Gunter
LB - Blackett
CB - Moore (C)
CB - Ilori
CB - McShane
RM - Yiadom
LM - Barrow
CDM - Bacuna
CDM - Meyler
ST - Baldock

Sorry but I hate that side. Meyler and McShane should be nowhere near the team. You have also named six defenders. I know you say play Yiadom on the wing but let’s play him in his proper position and give Sims a chance.
I would go with

GK Mannone
RB Yiadom
LB Gunter
CB Moore
CB Ilori
CM Bacuna
CM Swift
LM Barrow
RM Sims
ST Bodvarsson
ST Baldock because we don’t have much else

It’s not a great side and I worry that Swift and Bacuna won’t work but the options there are utterly dire. It’s a toss up between McNulty, Baldock and Meite. None look like scoring. Gunter isn’t great but with Obita still out and Richards very iffy defensively he gets the nod.
May just may be time to stick Loader on the bench. God knows he can’t be any less effective than what we have.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Sep 2018 21:43

I’d prob go with that side. It’s a decent side really, there’s no reason it shouldn’t be competitive. They are all reasonable champ players, they need to get their heads right

I think PC will give Meyler another chance with Bacuna though. And horribly think Aluko might get another go instead of Sims. Really hope not.

+1 for Loader on the bench. Time to start getting him involved

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Sep 2018 21:51

Hound I’d prob go with that side. It’s a decent side really, there’s no reason it shouldn’t be competitive. They are all reasonable champ players, they need to get their heads right

I think PC will give Meyler another chance with Bacuna though. And horribly think Aluko might get another go instead of Sims. Really hope not.

+1 for Loader on the bench. Time to start getting him involved

If he plays Meyler and Aluko after their pitiful performances against Wednesday then he really will reap what he sows. I thought we would see Aluko greatly improve this season. I was wrong. Meyler is just awful.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Sep 2018 21:57

Didn’t go to Weds but I’ve seen enough of those Aluko displays to fully get the gist. With McCleary back fit, it’s time to drop him for good. Be delighted if I never saw him again

Refuse to believe Meyler is as poor as he has been (though he looked crap for Ireland tonight as well). Hoping he will turn it round. Clutching at straws probably but noticed he was dropped from the Ireland team for poor club form - which suggests that he can play a lot better

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Sep 2018 07:26

Hound Didn’t go to Weds but I’ve seen enough of those Aluko displays to fully get the gist. With McCleary back fit, it’s time to drop him for good. Be delighted if I never saw him again

Refuse to believe Meyler is as poor as he has been (though he looked crap for Ireland tonight as well). Hoping he will turn it round. Clutching at straws probably but noticed he was dropped from the Ireland team for poor club form - which suggests that he can play a lot better

My only concern about McCleary is he looked rather "large" and slow when he came back from the last injury. I'm hoping he's reversed that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Sep 2018 07:46

Oh, I have plenty of concerns about McCleary’s fitness and form

But he isn’t Aluko, so that’s good enough for me

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Sep 2018 07:57

McCleary is a pathetic waster who should have been sold in January. Unfit, uncaring and knackered.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 12 Sep 2018 10:11

Zip

GK - Mannone
RB - Gunter
LB - Blackett
CB - Moore (C)
CB - Ilori
CB - McShane
RM - Yiadom
LM - Barrow
CDM - Bacuna
CDM - Meyler
ST - Baldock

Sorry but I hate that side. Meyler and McShane should be nowhere near the team. You have also named six defenders. I know you say play Yiadom on the wing but let’s play him in his proper position and give Sims a chance.
I would go with

GK Mannone
RB Yiadom
LB Gunter
CB Moore
CB Ilori
CM Bacuna
CM Swift
LM Barrow
RM Sims
ST Bodvarsson
ST Baldock because we don’t have much else

It’s not a great side and I worry that Swift and Bacuna won’t work but the options there are utterly dire. It’s a toss up between McNulty, Baldock and Meite. None look like scoring. Gunter isn’t great but with Obita still out and Richards very iffy defensively he gets the nod.
May just may be time to stick Loader on the bench. God knows he can’t be any less effective than what we have.

Yes it is 6x defenders but I would would rather we keep things solid at the back to start off with. I feel as though Mcshane has had a big enough break to reflect and he will be as determined as anyone to put things right. But as I said not as a captain he needs to focus on himself first.

I'm all for Loader getting the nod up top certainly for the last 20 minutes of the game if we are chasing a goal.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 12 Sep 2018 11:20

Would love Aluko to be a bench option only. Let Sims run there left back into the ground and then bring on Aluko, is the only time I would accept him to play.
Prefer a 4 5 1 formation away from home. Not sure Bacuna and Swift can run a midfield on their own so Meyler needs to come in to add some irish or the Iranian depending how he's integrated.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Sep 2018 12:20

'The Iranian' was apparently MOM and did a nice assist for their goal yesterday.

He looks talented, just a case of how he fits in. Should be fully fit physically to play soon as. Certainly like to see him considered for Norwich

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Sep 2018 14:31

Hound 'The Iranian' was apparently MOM and did a nice assist for their goal yesterday.

He looks talented, just a case of how he fits in. Should be fully fit physically to play soon as. Certainly like to see him considered for Norwich

Think I'd expect Mr Ezatolahi to get a place on the bench at Preston then a start v Norwich. Guess it comes down to whether he has the mystery injury this week and how desperate Clement will be to try something new.

Urzzz216

by Urzzz216 » 12 Sep 2018 18:55

Old Man Andrews McCleary is a pathetic waster who should have been sold in January. Unfit, uncaring and knackered.

Do u not remember the season we went to Wembley when he was ripping the league up and scoring for fun. Get a fit and firing Mccleary and he can be one of our best players. The problem is the chances of mccleary coming back fully fit is unlikely

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 12 Sep 2018 18:59

We simply do not sign players that are fit to start for about a month. (even if they are match fit)
We could sign Messi and Ronaldo and they would still be benched.
Its the Reading Way. :roll:

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 13 Sep 2018 01:07

thanks

156 posts