MATCHWATCH : Stoke City (a) sponsored by Dave Kitson

182 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stoke City (a) sponsored by Dave Kitson

by Zip » 15 Mar 2019 11:46

Old Man Andrews Zip has had an absolute shocker.

In your dreams OMA

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Mar 2019 11:52

URZZZZ
Zip Martinez
Yiadom
Moore
McShane
Gunter
Miazga
Baker
Ejaria
Swift
Barrow
Meite

I think we need to set up to frustrate Stoke in the hope of coming away with a point. So I would bring in McShane alongside Moore and push Miazga into a CDM role.
Please no more dicking about with short passes deep in our own half that go straight to opposition players.

I wouldn’t be against that, miazga looks the sort of player capable of moving up to midfield, however would do McCleary/Harriott instead of barrow

Harriott deserves a chance but I would be reluctant to drop Barrow when he has scored two priceless goals in his last three games. We have few goalscoring threats in the team currently without removing one of them.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Mar 2019 11:52

Zip
Hound If theres one way to make sure we don't frustrate Stoke, its bringing in McShane and Gunter :)

Shut ya chops Houndy.
Blackett always switches off, gets on the wrong side of his opponent and ambles back having pushed forward. Gunter is hardly an upgrade but is more defensively minded.

As for McShane he is limited but will at least show some fight and it will mean we can have someone in Miazga who is defensively minded in a defensive midfield role. We have no fit CDM’s. Needs must Houndy. I won’t charge you for my advice on this occasion.

I don't disagree with the principle, but McShane or Gunter aren't the answer. Both haven't played for months either. I'd be (very slightly) more on board with Blackett at CB, but still not

I think we just play Kelly or Ejaria if fit with Swift and Baker and pray tbh.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Mar 2019 11:56

Hound
Zip
Hound If theres one way to make sure we don't frustrate Stoke, its bringing in McShane and Gunter :)

Shut ya chops Houndy.
Blackett always switches off, gets on the wrong side of his opponent and ambles back having pushed forward. Gunter is hardly an upgrade but is more defensively minded.

As for McShane he is limited but will at least show some fight and it will mean we can have someone in Miazga who is defensively minded in a defensive midfield role. We have no fit CDM’s. Needs must Houndy. I won’t charge you for my advice on this occasion.

I don't disagree with the principle, but McShane or Gunter aren't the answer. Both haven't played for months either. I'd be (very slightly) more on board with Blackett at CB, but still not

I think we just play Kelly or Ejaria if fit with Swift and Baker and pray tbh.

We cannot play Kelly and Swift together. Surely that is something we all can agree on these days. Ejaria yep if fit he needs to start. The trouble is none of Swift, Baker or Ejaria are defensive minded. Our back four must have more protection.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Mar 2019 12:00

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip Martinez
Yiadom
Moore
McShane
Gunter
Miazga
Baker
Ejaria
Swift
Barrow
Meite

I think we need to set up to frustrate Stoke in the hope of coming away with a point. So I would bring in McShane alongside Moore and push Miazga into a CDM role.
Please no more dicking about with short passes deep in our own half that go straight to opposition players.

I wouldn’t be against that, miazga looks the sort of player capable of moving up to midfield, however would do McCleary/Harriott instead of barrow

Harriott deserves a chance but I would be reluctant to drop Barrow when he has scored two priceless goals in his last three games. We have few goalscoring threats in the team currently without removing one of them.

He’s also given away two goals (one at Ipswich was standing letting his man run past) and obviously the first one at Leeds. With the defence/midfield as poor as they are, we need our wingers to Help the fullbacks as much as possible which is why I’d rather two from meite/McCleary/Harriott. At a stretch I’d say barrow up front if you want to keep him in and then meite right and one of the other two left

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Mar 2019 12:04

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ

He’s also given away two goals (one at Ipswich was standing letting his man run past) and obviously the first one at Leeds. With the defence/midfield as poor as they are, we need our wingers to Help the fullbacks as much as possible which is why I’d rather two from meite/McCleary/Harriott. At a stretch I’d say barrow up front if you want to keep him in and then meite right and one of the other two left

Fair point about Barrow’s defensive weaknesses. His pitiful attempt at a tackle on Tuesday night started the rot after we had made a bright start.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Mar 2019 12:15

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

Fair point about Barrow’s defensive weaknesses. His pitiful attempt at a tackle on Tuesday night started the rot after we had made a bright start.

Start with mccleary he’s defensively better and bring Barrow on with 15 to go.

As for defence midfield, honestly fcuk knows.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Mar 2019 13:52

leon Start with mccleary he’s defensively better and bring Barrow on with 15 to go.

Yep. Barrow is quite clearly more effective as an impact sub. I am all for academy players getting a chance but this is far too crucial to be experimenting with East. I think Miazga as a DMC, shuffle Blackett into centre and reluctantly start Gunter at LB

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Mar 2019 13:57

John Smith
leon Start with mccleary he’s defensively better and bring Barrow on with 15 to go.

Yep. Barrow is quite clearly more effective as an impact sub. I am all for academy players getting a chance but this is far too crucial to be experimenting with East. I think Miazga as a DMC, shuffle Blackett into centre and reluctantly start Gunter at LB

It's rare I agree with you JS, but yes, this!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Mar 2019 14:27

Miazga in midfield would be a huge experiment that would definitely weaken our back line and would probably weaken our midfield. Has he ever played there before at professional level? Does he know what the role involves? Does he have the mobility and fitness to play there?

Think we would be much better off going with Kelly, Baker, and Swift.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 15 Mar 2019 14:41

SCIAG Miazga in midfield would be a huge experiment that would definitely weaken our back line and would probably weaken our midfield. Does he have the mobility and fitness to play there?

I'd say he does, and I've been impressed in that regard.
That said, not sure I'd do it, and I doubt Gomes will.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 15 Mar 2019 15:29

John Smith

Agree with Barrow, i'd even say last 20.
Not sure a defensive shuffle is in order. I personally would go unchanged.
But for augments sake if Miazga to be DM, I would bring Richards in ( :o ) He offers something completely different and Miazga can drop back in CB n push Blackett wide when Richards goes forward. Also have McCleary ahead of him to help out when out of possession.

Martinez

Yiadom
Moore
Blackett
Richards

Miazga

Swift
Baker
McCleary
Harriot

Meite

Subs: Loader, Barrow, East, Gunter, McShane, Walker +1 from u23

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Mar 2019 15:35

that looks ok to me. Though still doubt they'd move Miazga there. Ilori possibly, but not MM

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Mar 2019 15:42

Realistically I can't see the midfield line up being that much different from Tuesday given the available personnel. It'll either be Ejaria if fit or East/Olise alongside Swift/Baker.

Of course Liam Kelly may be considered again depending on how he's reacted to his "telling off".

Personally hope Gomes comes up with something totally different that catches everyone out and then only goes and works!

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Mar 2019 16:05

Hound that looks ok to me. Though still doubt they'd move Miazga there. Ilori possibly, but not MM

We sold Ilori 2 months ago Hound, please keep up

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 16 Mar 2019 10:42

thanks mate

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 16 Mar 2019 11:24

Things must be bad if people are seriously suggesting that a return of Gunter strengthens the defence. :wink:
I have a horrible feeling that another Welshman, Joe Allen, will have a free reign in midfield.
Our best hope might be to wind up McLean (if he starts) and get him sent off then both sides can settle for a 0-0.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2019 13:58

Well, it's obvious Gomes isnt likely to pick Kelly given his bizarre criticism of him recently.

Tempted to say we should push Yiadom forward, but:

.....................Martinez
Yiadom, Miazga, Moore, Blackett
..................Baker, East
......McCleary, Swift, Barrow
........................Meite

Of course, Gomes also won't play Meite upfront, so we can probably expect much the same side as against Leeds.

Be good to see East get a second go against a weaker side.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2019 14:02

John Smith

I dont get the idea that its far too important to experiment by playing an Academy midfielder in midfield, but its ok to experiment by moving our best defender out of defence and into midfield, a position he doesnt play and hasnt trained for.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Mar 2019 14:23

Martinez
Blackett
Moore
Miazga
Yiadom
Olise
Harriott
Swift
Baker
McCleary
Meite

Subs

Walker
Barrow
O’Shea
Loader
McShane
East
Gunter
Last edited by Sutekh on 16 Mar 2019 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

182 posts